Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM

Who is near Dallas or Weatherford, TX? There's a Davis HAVF2 on eBay, but Pickup Only.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by buslady View Post
.... It is a Wheeler & Wilson, we think from about 1850-1870.
Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
.... a "lowbed" saying that the numbering system of these early models was somewhat unreliable...From what I can see, this is from at least the early 1870's, maybe earlier...and will be a curved needle machine.
I found one similar to it a month or so ago, in worse shape than yours, and I’ll be waiting to see what else Charlee finds out about it. From what I’ve learned, they’re called a “Low Bed Rotating Hook Machine”. It makes a lock stitch and has a bobbin. There was a “High Bed” too, I believe, but I don’t know much about either one of them.

Try to watch for the important little “fiddlies” that it should have, like the glass insert in the presser foot, and the skinny little “bagle-shaped” bobbins. Charlee’s right, it takes a Wheeler & Wilson curved needle. The bobbin winder is inside of the box on the left. It’s the left end of the main shaft under the machine, and the bobbin fits on the right end to sew. The machine takes a wide flat belt that’s located about midway across the stand and machine from left to right. The fabric being sewn moves from left to right across the machine to sew.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine489_05.jpg   machine489t_05.jpg  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks Charlee! here is more pictures, per request. Not very good, but I can get more when I go get it. Oh, I mean, IF I go get it. He is asking $450. I think that is WAY too much, or am I off my rocker? I thought I might offer $200, or is there anyone else close by that would like it? I would be happy to pick it up and we could arrange a leap frog or something to get it to you! Of course, If you live somewhere tripical, I might even deliver it. LOL
Attached Thumbnails w-w3.jpg   w-w4.jpg  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM

WOW Thayerrags, it is just like it! Where did you find it, and maybe you can help me figure out how much to offer the guy. He inherited the shop a few years ago, and really has no interest in it. Says he can't make it pay. I felt like telling him that he would do much better if he changed his attitude. I like to chat about the things I find, he took offense when no offense was intended! For instance, he had a baby quilt that was hand quilted. It was absolutely thread bare and the stuffing was gone in spots, stained badly, and the binding was split at the fold...... I asked him how much he wanted then offered him $5 for it. He snapped right back, I said $10, I can have my niece put a new binding on it and it will be like new. My friend and I said something to the effect that he should think about it before adding anything to it, as it's attraction was how worn and loved it was. He got very pissy, "I didn't say I was gonna, just said I could, and I could if I wanted to cause it is mine". So I didn't really say much about anything else. I did mention that if he were only asking $200 or so, I might be more willing to deal, but I didn't know enough about the machine to say how much it might be worth. He mumbled something about $250, so I think he might have dealt on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM

I'd go $250 on it Onalee, but that would be about it, and I'd try, at least, for $175 - $200.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Who is near Dallas or Weatherford, TX? There's a Davis HAVF2 on eBay, but Pickup Only.
He will ship but it's rather costly to NJ ($66), think I'll pass.

Jon
Old 05-07-2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
He will ship but it's rather costly to NJ ($66), think I'll pass.

Jon
You and me lookin' at the same listing? The 1 I see is "No Shipping" stated in details.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:34 PM

Yes, The $20 VF2 that was listed yesterday as pick up only. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask and he quoted me the $66. Should be quite a bit less for you.

Jon

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
You and me lookin' at the same listing? The 1 I see is "No Shipping" stated in details.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 PM

Poor thing! http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/zip/3002248500.html
Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
That's a good 2 hrs. each way for me, but that would be a great candidate for a repaint. Maybe a red:> Or for parts. But, yeah, poor thing....