Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Nancy, Your Free is just beautiful and thanks for the information. The Free that I looked at (I think it is the one) has a round turning knob above the presser foot to release the foot. I was wondering if there are still attachmenbts available for that type of release sytem? I mean the machine does come with one foot but more is always better. Thanks in advance. ~ Chris
I don't have a free, but looking in this manual on ISMACS, the feet/attachments look like rotary style feet. If so, these are pretty easy to find if you know what to look for. I really like the peacock decals on some of the Free machines.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
I am looking at a listing on CL, and assuming this Red Eye is still available - would it be a good candidate for a motorectomy and a hand crank? I would still want to find a better base. What would be a good offer for it? (They said they are open to offers)
http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2732838452.html
It's hard to see from the picture, but is the wheel spoked or not? If it's solid, you may have to drill it or replace it with a spoked wheel, which you would want to figure into your budget. It's very pretty in the picture! Here in N. TX, I've paid $25 for one that was just about pristine (dirty, but great decals, no rust) and $15 for one (more bed decal wear, no rust). Neither had cases or cabinets.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I don't have a free, but looking in this manual on ISMACS, the feet/attachments look like rotary style feet. If so, these are pretty easy to find if you know what to look for. I really like the peacock decals on some of the Free machines.
Bennett; Thanks for the link plus your information. The machine in the booklet looks loike the machine that I think I played wuith. I saw maybe 10 machines so am a little fuzzy on some of the details. ~ Chris
Old 01-10-2012, 04:18 PM

DH and I went to an indoor flea market today. And I found a orginal manual for a singer 99 for $2.00 and an older model singer button holer (all metal) for $5.00. After seeing the one a while back on CL for 200.00 I think I will ask $195.00 for this one. Any one interested. This includes shipping of course. Or if close by hand delivered. LOL Do you think that other button holer sold? (probably not)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 PM

I may be looking at a Davis on Friday. It is supposedly an 1885 machine. What do I need to look for and will it require the longer needles? The lady selling it has no sewing machine knowledge whatsoever and so couldn't answer any question minus that it has a cabinet, not coffin top, with drawers and stuff in the drawers. She's asking $125 - is that reasonable, depending upon condition?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 PM

I may be looking at a Davis on Friday. It is supposedly an 1885 machine. What do I need to look for and will it require the longer needles? The lady selling it has no sewing machine knowledge whatsoever and so couldn't answer any question minus that it has a cabinet, not coffin top, with drawers and stuff in the drawers. She's asking $125 - is that reasonable, depending upon condition?
Is it a Vertical Feed?
Here is a link to the different Davis Vertical Feeds: http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/DavisVFmodels.html
for you to study. The Davis NVF is the only one that takes a 15x1 needle.
Stuff in drawers can be fun, treasures!!! Can't tell you about the price without seeing cabinet and machine. Plus, it is up to you as to how badly do you want the machine.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Is it a Vertical Feed?
Here is a link to the different Davis Vertical Feeds: http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/DavisVFmodels.html
for you to study. The Davis NVF is the only one that takes a 15x1 needle.
Stuff in drawers can be fun, treasures!!! Can't tell you about the price without seeing cabinet and machine. Plus, it is up to you as to how badly do you want the machine.
Chris if this is truly the pre 1900 Davis, it will require the Davis long 1x2 needles or Boye # 10 needles. If it is even older, it would use Boye # 20 needles. The Boye # 10's are easy to find on e-bay, but a little pricey. If this machine is a later version, the Davis New Vertical Feed, like Monica said - it takes a 15x1 regular needle. Make sure the machine is complete, finding parts for the Davis is not easy! The shuttle is very pricey if you have to purchase one, and very hard to find! I love using my Davis Veritcal Feed for binding. Because it does not have feed dogs, it zips through the 7 layers to attach a binding. Let us know if you get the machine! I'd always make an offer. If the cabinet is in bad shape, I'd offer much less. People can ask any price they want on Craigslist, or E-Bay, but if you watch the ads, they don't sell for what they are asking, although, if the machine is complete, a Vertical Feed, and the cabinet is in good shape, it is worth the price!

Nancy
Old 01-11-2012, 05:34 AM

Well, my DH and I did a little day trip yesterday to pick up a Spartan listed on Craigslist for $20. I got the machine for $10 because it is missing its slide plate. The machine is in really good shape except for the missing plate, which I think I have in the storage unit. If not, I bet Cathy has them! I cleaned it yesterday, but it is not picking up the bobbin thread - it is almost like the bobbin case in twisted or something? This machine may have to go to Cathy for a once over! I am going to play with it a little more and see if I can figure out why when I try to pick up the bobbin thread, the top thread catches around the bobbin race/case thingy and gets stuck!

We stopped at a couple antigue stores/thrift stores on the way home with no luck. We also stopped at a flea market and I picked up a Pfaff Hobby 4228 for $15 because it is missing the foot pedal/cord. I know, plastic wonder, not a vintage machine, but I have a soft spot for Pfaffs. Anyway, we searched the internet last night and the Hobby 4228 is not even listed anywhere! I think I bought an anomaly!!!! It is like it doesn't exist! I searched all over to find a manual, a picture, a foot pedal and we can't even find a 4228? Geeze! I think, I know why it was so cheap - besides missing the foot pedal and cord - it really doesn't exist! I am going to take it over to our Sewing Repair shop and see if Oscar can fit it with a foot pedal and cord. We found several, what they refer to as Universal Plugs, but none are shaped like what this machine uses. It seems, I always find the weird stuff!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 01-11-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 AM

Chris, I have several Davis machines two take the 15 X 1 needle and the others take the longer needle. But if you follow what Vintagemotif and Nancy say and you are able to get the machine I think you will like it as much as we like ours. Don't forget to check for that shuttle. Very important part.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 AM

I agree with what the other say...just depends on which machine you end up with. I'd say the $125 is reasonable, as long as the machine is complete.

To give you an idea of dating the machine when you see it, look at the slide plate. She got the "1885" from that, should be the last patent date on the machine "May 12, 1885". That was put on these old girls into the 1900's. Check to see what town is listed on the slide plate. If it's Watertown, NY, the machine is pre-1890, but after, of course, 1885. "Dayton, OH" is 1890 or after....that's when they started operations in the new plant.