Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-06-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Blinky
Oh man....I have 4 Yorkies! Love them!
We did yorkie rescue for 8 years, and just had to keep a few of them. little brats that they are. lol

Texas Jan
Old 10-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Can anyone help me with info on a Kingston machine? It doesn't belong to me, but a gal who is new to sewing. She is not sure she wants to try to fix it or toss it.
I don't have any numbers, or model or such, as she didn't know, and was 60 miles from home at work.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Candace, I have the Elna 62C that I prefer not to use to quilt. Someone else may not feel that way. It's the best stitching machine I've ever seen, but, IMO, she just wasn't made to quilt.

Hmmm, I've been coveting the one a gal brings to class because it's so quiet. I was mainly planning on it for piecing. Do you have a walking foot with yours? I do have some vintage machines that just won't quilt. For example, my White Fair Lady is an awesome straight stitch, but won't take my generic walking foot....so no quilter there. And I have a couple that will skip a couple of stitches every now and then putting on a machine binding(using a zig zag). Changing needles doesn't help, they just don't like to go through the bulk of the binding and quilt. Once I know their pluses and minuses, I'm o.k.

I've heard this is an amazing Elna, though.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by irishrose
Candace, I have the Elna 62C that I prefer not to use to quilt. Someone else may not feel that way. It's the best stitching machine I've ever seen, but, IMO, she just wasn't made to quilt.
needs a straight stitch needle hole on the plate
Are you able to quilt with yours, Miriam or just piecing?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mariposa
Can anyone help me with info on a Kingston machine? It doesn't belong to me, but a gal who is new to sewing. She is not sure she wants to try to fix it or toss it.
I don't have any numbers, or model or such, as she didn't know, and was 60 miles from home at work.
Dont toss it! There are too many folks that would give it a good home here on the board. But as far as the machine is concerned it is a badged machine and I think it will be a National or a Davis if I am right. Post some pics of it so we can look at it and see for sure.

Billy
Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 AM

Miriam, I had a straight stitch needle hole on my watch list on ebay and I know the Elna site has them, but I don't see where it will help with the other problem. The pressure on the presser foot is self adjusting. It can shift the top layer of fabric just a tiny bit. The walking foot is a cure for that, but neither of mine is quiet. Using the embroidery foot helps, too, because it rides a little higher than the normal foot.

Candace, you're right. Miss Elna is the quietest, strongest sounding machine I've ever been near. If I were to need her to quilt, I'd get a needle plate with a round hole and use the plastic embroidery foot. I sewed with it for several years while my presser foot was lost. In fact, last month, I made HSTs with the Elna and her metal foot by using leaders and they are perfect. I also SITD an entire lap quilt using the W foot (pre 301). The other problem - the stitch is so strong and perfect, it's a bi--- to remove. You do learn to sew carefully. I love that machine and if I could only have one, I guess she'd be it.

edit: I just played with Miss Elna and a Janome FMQ foot. Yes, she will quilt quite nicely. I don't drop my feeddogs to quilt with the 301, so there isn't much difference. A little drag because the feeddogs are higher on the Elna, but not enough to notice. Interesting.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 AM

I have a Singer Model 66 manufactured on March 16, 1910 in Elizabeth, New Jersey that I would like to sell. Does anyone have any idea what the value of it would be?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-267039.jpe  
Old 10-06-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
I got a Singer 241-12 a while ago. Got her all unstuck and moving nice. Put her to the test. NADA. Her tension was wonky. Then the shuttle wouldn't loop. I put her on hold and had a bout of PI and broken toe etc for the summer. OK so I got her out - fixed the tension in 3 minutes. YEAH I won. Then started checking for burrs on the hook. NADA. Put the bobbin in and out in and out. NADA. That bobbin case had a screw missing. I replaced it a while ago. Seems like the dumb think is off. Won't hold in right. Then I got to digging around in my junk. None of the bobbin cases I have on hand match the hole. I'm not even sure the one that came with it was the right one. Now I'm thinking - order a new bobbin case. They range from 3 to 40 dollars. So if I buy the 3 dollar one will it work? Then I notice you can just buy the bobbin tension spring. That should be a clue... So I look over the bobbin case. EW. It was coated in rust - I got a bit of oil and a bit of aluminum foil and polished it up. Poked it in the bobbin hole - NADA. It makes a loop but add fabric and it balls up something awful. Has to be that tension spring. I'm beating my head against the stupid wall on this one.

Needle tip of the day: The needle curf goes toward the bobbin when you put in the needle - industrial machines have round needles - no flat side.
If you need any parts for your 241 your welcome to mine for the cost of shipping. My daughter tripped over the thing and broke off the take up lever plus I don't have the oil pan for it. A person could get a hernia hefting these things.
Jon
AW - seems like it would be a nice machine Jon. Mine seems to be all there and nothing broken. I sure wouldn't want to ship it. For being made out of aluminum and called the 'featherweight' it sure is heavy. I only need the bobbin cover. I'm wondering if the oil pan is really needed if you are sewing on it for short times & keep it oiled every time you use it. Those were meant for factory work with 3 shifts. Was it the knee rod part of the take up lever or the one on the presser foot bar? Did it bend or break? Maybe it just needs re-assembly. Mine has to be re-assembled. Mine followed me home but DH wouldn't let it in the house - it's on the back porch (covered) - I should get it working and get it off there.
Not certain if all oiling points have external access to oil and work for extended period without oil pan but I imagine it would. Daughter broke off thread take-up lever next to tension assembly clean off. I'm grateful she didn't break her foot or a toe. I'm not too wild about industrial machines except for the 29-4 Singer Patcher which I would love to find reasonable. I had one, fixed it up and sold it and sort of regret it now. Anyway, let me know if you need any parts from the 241 as I don't plan on fixing this one up or buying any other industrials anytime soon. I'd rather see the parts go to good use than hold on to them for twenty years thinking I might someday need them.
Jon
Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM

The Singer Company is to preview a special 160th Anniversary Model at the Radisson Hotel, Nashville to coincide with the ISMACS Convention.

Although not due to be announced until the New Year, the machine will be on view to convention visitors in a separate meeting room rented by Singer.

Singer is aiming to get early public reaction to the machine which, they hope, in the future, will become a collectors' model in the same way as the centennial machines of 1951. There are no details of the machine's specification.

The machine will be on view on the final day of the convention, Sunday, October 16.

The Singer preview will be open to all.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:03 PM

I wonder, if for their preview, they will go back to the tried and true formula, or if the machine will be the latest computer. (Not really wondering. We all can guess.) Well, whatever Singer brings out will not be as good as the oldies but goodies!! :D

Is someone going to ISMACS who can take a pic and post it after the conference?? It would be interesting to see the new machine.