Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1472 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 472 972 1372 1422 1462 1471 1472 1473 1482 1522 1572 ... LastLast
Results 36,776 to 36,800 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Charlee, in 1976 we paid $1800 for my Pfaff 1222e in a cabinet! It was way more than we could afford, but I was a very young bride and wanted a 'good' sewing machine! We made payments! I still have that Pfaff and I still love it and use it all the time - it is the one I put all the sashings on those Quilt as You Go quilts because of the IDT - walking foot! That was the best investment I ever made!

Nancy
    I should add that around 2002/2003, I bought an embroidery machine that cost me several thousand dollars - it was not a good investment! All plastic, a computer, and problems!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I'm at the Oregon coast (Newport), and just took possession of "Katherine", the 301! She stitches beautifully!! Fairly clean machine too. The inside of the manual has a handwritten note:
    July 30, 1953 $227.50, $4.55 ST, $232.05

So, according to the inflation calculator, in today's dollar, this machine would cost $1869.72!! No wonder the lady that sold it to me said her grandmother was very excited to have a "fancy machine" when she bought it new!
    Congratulations Charlee! The 301 is one machine that I would never pass up if I saw one for sale priced reasonably - even if I already own one!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    In my purse, I carry a little 'just in case' kit. It has sewing machine needles, thread, a generic bobbin with another color thread (just in case), small scissors, and a scrap of fabric. Then if I do see a machine I'm interested in, I can usually try it out. It has come in handy!! I keep a pair of tweezers in my billfold, and have for years. They come in handy for a lot of things... Have fun Charlee!!
    On another note, I just got a green/white featherweight 221 today. I had to take the bobbin assembly apart some to get the finger ( or what ever it is called ) back in place at the top. At one time I lost the little screw that held the assembly together, and found it after sweeping my floor. It now runs great after oiling it all over. I need help in dating it as everywhere I look, I can't find serial numbers after EX. This one has EY 851310, and yes I looked several times to make sure it wasn't EV or EX. Does anyone know where I can date it? I got just the machine, no case, and no attachments. I paid $100.00 for it, which I thought was a good price for it. Any one have a spare case they want to sell reasonably?
    Janis, according to Nancy Johnson-Srebro and her book "Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable," the EY series of FW's were produced between October 1966 to October 1968. FW's were made until about 1970. The book in contradictory, though, as this information is found on page 191, but if you look at the table on page 39 - it shows the EY as 1969? At least for the 221k/222k - made in Britain?

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 07-17-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Here you go Nancy!! LOVE Reba...Bobbie Gentry did the song first tho...loved it then too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zplc4Ienkws
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Charlee, Congrats on your 301!

Blog Entries
    i learned so much from just reading this thread. what a resource. charlee glad you got your "new" machine. i know you will love sewing on it. i have one now and i sold a long bed one recently.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Not sewing related, but my daughter just got her results from her pharmacy state boards, and she is now a doctor. Whoo hoo!! And she took the test with bronchitis, two swigs of prescription cough syrup, and a cough so bad that she had cracked a rib, we found out two days after the test. Either way, my baby daughter is a doctor.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Not sewing related, but my daughter just got her results from her pharmacy state boards, and she is now a doctor. Whoo hoo!! And she took the test with bronchitis, two swigs of prescription cough syrup, and a cough so bad that she had cracked a rib, we found out two days after the test. Either way, my baby daughter is a doctor.
    Great accomplishment!!!

Blog Entries
    How exciting for her and you, too. Congratulations.

Charlee, you'll love sewing on your 301. I like her first name. Save Fancy for the painted ladies.

On another note, I have been asked if I want a White treadle in a cabinet. i looked through Charlee's thread on displaying machines and still don't know where I'd put it. Can I part with the Leader?

Hi, I am cleaning my Singer 128 and wondering where to get a replacement rubber wheel for the bobbin winder. Looks at several parts sites and havn't come up with any thing yet. What do you want to bet I am looking in the wrong places, lol. Thanks Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Here you go Nancy!! LOVE Reba...Bobbie Gentry did the song first tho...loved it then too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zplc4Ienkws
    Congrats on your 301!! I love Country music! Ode to Billy Joe, by Bobbie Gentry. Have you hear Scotty Mccreery?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1mf...eature=related

Blog Entries
    Charlee, Congratulations on your new daughter Kathy for short altho she is not lacking in anything.

Melinda, Congratulations to your daughter too!
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Tell her congratulations from us. That is a major accomplishment.

Joe

You can find all sizes of bobbin winder tires at our favorite goody shop: Sew-Classic.com:
    http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Bobb...-Tires_c16.htm
    Not only that you can have any color you want as long as it's black.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MisDixie View Post
    Hi, I am cleaning my Singer 128 and wondering where to get a replacement rubber wheel for the bobbin winder. Looks at several parts sites and havn't come up with any thing yet. What do you want to bet I am looking in the wrong places, lol. Thanks Dixie

Blog Entries
    can you clean up my 128 while you're at it?
    Last edited by Havplenty; 07-17-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)

Blog Entries
    ~the seller decided to give this away free. i wish i had room for it but don't.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/3145656445.html
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/zip/3145748739.html

~congratulations on your daughter's success. what an accomplishment!

~really like the cabinet here. i think if i had a house with more rooms (and a basement) i would be hopelessly collecting vintage machines. good thing i don't.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/3145598534.html

~another nice cabinet.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/3145398571.html

i am signing off of cl now.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 07-17-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    My Quiltboard Blog

Don't you know it I was calling the part by the wrong name! No wonder the search wasn't working for me. Its a ring! Figured that out just after I posted. Thanks for the links, I added it to the fav's so it shouldn't take so long next time.

Joe, Just my luck there out of stock for my size, lol!

Haveplenty, when I get the gunk out from under my nails I will be right over, snicker! Just a short jump to your place from here!

I did come up with a plan and went to the hardware. Got some smaller rubber rings and put 3 on the wheel so I could at least load up a bobbin. Not pretty but it worked well enough for me to load a bobbin and test the tension. That's going to need some work!

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t194930.html
    I just made a new post. I cleaned up 3 machines I picked up at GW and one I had around, came home and just had to do mine. So I shot a few pics. Hope it helps someone.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Thanks everybody. I needed some good news today---been dealing with my mama's estate stuff, and am stressed out.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Thanks everybody. I needed some good news today---been dealing with my mama's estate stuff, and am stressed out.
    Hey congrats. My oldest son just moved to Seattle - he landed a REALLY good job with Amazon. I do miss the GK.

Good deal on the Amazon job. I have a nephew and his wife in Seattle, both working something about computers, but not Amazon. It is a very nice place, my sister says. She and her husband have been up a time or two, and liked it except for the rain.
    Melinda

Congratulations..... that's an accomplishment to be proud of.

Blog Entries
    Congrats Melinda, Tell your daughter that is a great accomplishment
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Good deal on the Amazon job. I have a nephew and his wife in Seattle, both working something about computers, but not Amazon. It is a very nice place, my sister says. She and her husband have been up a time or two, and liked it except for the rain.
    They don't have to hog up all that rain... we could use some here - we got a little shower is all today and not everywhere. We don't mow our grass we just walk on it and it breaks off - well except for the weeds - they thrive.

Blog Entries
    April1930shoppe has them, too. Do you want to clean mine, too? It's not very dirty so it won't take much.