Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Hey Billy, what a journey you have endured. w I guess a new quilt project could be called Billy's Speedt Bump Alley. I do pray tha God speeds up your healing. OBTW did you happen to see the pic I posted of a green 1950s Royal? Here's the link. It has my interest piqued. What's your opinion? Go ahead, I have big shoulders :-)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 PM

My laptop is dropping and adding letters all over the place:-( http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/atq/2621359547.html

Originally Posted by Tinabug
Hey Billy, what a journey you have endured. w I guess a new quilt project could be called Billy's Speedt Bump Alley. I do pray tha God speeds up your healing. OBTW did you happen to see the pic I posted of a green 1950s Royal? Here's the link. It has my interest piqued. What's your opinion? Go ahead, I have big shoulders :-)
Old 10-02-2011, 09:31 PM

I have been working all weekend redoing a small sewing cabinet. I am using the tutorial posted here and it is working well. I am using an antique remover which strips off the shellac but not down to raw wood. The instructions say to rub with steel wool until the finish is removed and then go over the entire cabinet again. I have done this but even after 3 times over, there seems to be some stickiness remaining. Would this still be some shellac? Should I go over it now with varsol? I don't want to start my danish oil finish if my cabinet is not cleaned enough. What do you experts think?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 PM

[quote=deplaylady][quote=vintagemotif][quote=cherrybsixty][quote=vintagemotif][quote=cherrybsixty]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I've never seen one like that either, I thought sofa beds were a more modern thing.
Wish I had the money and space for this one. I think it is way cool!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Another item for my basement sewing room.
This is gorgeous!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2628853850.html
Monica, are you sure you would want to place something sew gorgeous in a basement???
I don't have a basement, this is all if.

But you're correct about not putting that in basement. So, my basement has turned into a humongous sewing room!

It's a lovely piece to own...if....
That is indeed, kinda makes me wish I had my house back to place that beauty in it.
I need a vintage sofa for this room too. This one is perfect since it turns into a bed!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/atq/2625672081.html

Never seen a vintage sofa like this.
I've never seen one like that either, I thought sofa beds were a more modern thing.
We had a very old couch but it was more of a mission style - the 'cushion' folded under then it pulled up a set of springs that folded out - H E A V Y... It was very old. The top was oil cloth, horse hair under for padding. One day DH (who HATED it) donated it. I'm over it...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janis
OK, here's a few more dumb questions. I guess I'm filled with them lately about all of these lovely vintage Singers.
Is the Spartan the same size as the 99, but a 192 model instead?
About the godzila finish on an old Singer, is it the dull rough black on a machine? Are there certain years that the machines were made in that finish? I'm thinking that they were during WW2, is this correct? Other years too? Are those machines really rare and more desired machines?
I've seen one with a dull black finish recently but the serial number had been removed, so I don't know what it is, nor when it was made. The only things that date it are on the bobbin cover plate are a series of patent dates with the latest being 1910, and it had a 'Singer' plate bolted on the arm instead of the decals. The book, or what part of it was there showed a treadle machine, and the motor on the machine was labeled Universal. I think it was a treadle made into an electric machine.
Janis, the 99 and the Spartan are the same size. There are some the same size with a long bobbin too. Answer the other questions yes - as far as the dull black goes it is up to you whether you like it or not I'd guess.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 AM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=deplaylady][quote=vintagemotif][quote=cherrybsixty][quote=vintagemotif]

Wish I had the money and space for this one. I think it is way cool!
Cool and gorgeous also. Seams as though you and I have the same line to taste for the vintage.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
I have been working all weekend redoing a small sewing cabinet. I am using the tutorial posted here and it is working well. I am using an antique remover which strips off the shellac but not down to raw wood. The instructions say to rub with steel wool until the finish is removed and then go over the entire cabinet again. I have done this but even after 3 times over, there seems to be some stickiness remaining. Would this still be some shellac? Should I go over it now with varsol? I don't want to start my danish oil finish if my cabinet is not cleaned enough. What do you experts think?
A lot of these old cabinets have MANY coats of shellac applied one over another through the years. I'd do it one more time before applying the Danish oil....you need a clean surface for oil finishes. You might want to pop off a PM to Glenn...he's an EXCELLENT woodworker and I would trust what he said about it over anything I say!! ;) :)
Old 10-03-2011, 04:18 AM

About the godzila finish on an old Singer, is it the dull rough black on a machine? Are there certain years that the machines were made in that finish? I'm thinking that they were during WW2, is this correct? Other years too? Are those machines really rare and more desired machines?
Yes, the textured finish has been referred to as “Godzilla” by SM hobbyists, but it was a popular finish for a number of metal items other than sewing machines during the 40s and 50s. I understand that it was popular to manufacturers from an economic standpoint, plus it was something “new & different” to attract buyers. Several SM makers used the textured finish in tones of black, brown, green, and possibly other colors.

I've seen one with a dull black finish recently but the serial number had been removed, so I don't know what it is, nor when it was made. The only things that date it are on the bobbin cover plate are a series of patent dates with the latest being 1910, and it had a 'Singer' plate bolted on the arm instead of the decals. The book, or what part of it was there showed a treadle machine, and the motor on the machine was labeled Universal. I think it was a treadle made into an electric machine.
That machine sounds like it had been through “rehab” by an independent sewing machine repair shop (other than a manufacturer). It was common for shops to rebuild and electrify old machines to resell them for a profit, being common during WW2 when manufacturing of new machines was interrupted, and continuing on up into and during the 50s when rural electrification became wide-spread. The “Singer” Plate (along with many other brand names) was available from parts distributors for SM repair shops to re-label machines after being repainted. I have an old 1950s parts catalog that lists the plates for 20-cents each, $2.20/12, or $16/100.

I also have a 1906 Singer Model 28 that got the textured re-paint, a solid hand wheel, universal motor, universal light, and the Singer Arm Plate probably sometime in the 40s. The universal light mounting plate doesn’t completely cover the inspection hole on the machine.

CD in Oklahoma

1906 Singer 28 Rebuild
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265685[/ATTACH]

Universal Motor & Light
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265686[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265632.jpe   attachment-265633.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 05:09 AM

Oh my...this one in PA is PREEEEEEETTTTTTTTTYYYYYY!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Nati...item3f0e83a1ca