Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Just got an old Singer treadle machine and know nothing about it. I guess I need to start by cleaning it and wondered what is the correct way. Is there a page in this thread that you can refer me to?

Also, where do I look up the serial number to find out the year and info about the machine. Can you still get manuals? I can tell the machine needs a new belt but other than that, I don't know.

I will post pix of the before and after cleaning asap.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
CCCCCCHHHHHHHHAAAAAAARRRRRRLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEE
Where did you go??? Are you lost in cyber space? Are you still sorting out all those PMs? Are you out hunting for the deals on machines?
Breathe Miriam...breathe! I'm here....and there...and back again... The PM box is all cleaned out except for those that I wanted to keep, I sent you a PM yesterday, you didn't get it?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Quilted Horse View Post
Just got an old Singer treadle machine and know nothing about it. I guess I need to start by cleaning it and wondered what is the correct way. Is there a page in this thread that you can refer me to?

Also, where do I look up the serial number to find out the year and info about the machine. Can you still get manuals? I can tell the machine needs a new belt but other than that, I don't know.

I will post pix of the before and after cleaning asap.
Hi Janet! Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics... go here for the serial numbers:
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-sewing-machine-serial-number-database.html

J
ust how much cleaning you need to do depends on the condition...it may not need a total spa treatment. Be careful of the decals, they are easy to damage, especially if the shellac is gone...sewing machine oil is the safest way to clean the outside of the machine, even tho it can take a little longer and more elbow grease!

Miriam can point you to Muv's videos on how to clean a machine that doesn't need the full spa treatment...
Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
I'm having fun with the new board! I have spent more time customizing my profile page and then looking to see if others have done the same. Enjoying how folks pretty up their page.
Ok Monica, I need to borrow your son! LOL, OK I am getting around this shop slowly but surely!

What happened to Miz Johnny? I miss her? Now she is going to have a hard time catching up with us! I always enjoyed her dry sense of humor! Besides, I am still hoping for the Pfaff treadle that she has!

Nancy
Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 PM

I sent Miz Johnny an email a week or so ago, and she replied...she's been super busy, and says she'll rejoin us soon.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Does anyone know how many posts per page (about) the old shop had? I am trying to figure out about where the pictures I posted of my machines ended up. I knew what page they were on before, trying to figure out an easy way to find them now short of having to go through the entire thing! I can't even remember what our last page number was in the old system?

Nancy
Old 11-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Seemed like it was 20 per page, but I wouldn't swear to that!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 PM

You know it just occurred to me that we (especially me) use to point people to a previous post of a machine photo. Now that we can customize our number of posts per page, my page number and your page number will be different! I guess what I will have to do is tell people to change the number of posts per page to whatever I have in order to see a photo!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 11-03-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I sent Miz Johnny an email a week or so ago, and she replied...she's been super busy, and says she'll rejoin us soon.
I figured such, but boy has it been a long time since Miz Johnny came on board! I am looking forward to hearing from her again.

Thanks Charlee!

Nancy
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tinabug View Post
I need help with a decision, This machine is $55 but I don't know if I should buy it since the bed is cracked, otherwise it looks to be in pretty good shape. From the pics.
VERY RARE HARRIS "S" HAND CRANK SEWING MACHINE FROM ABOUT 1930 WITH ART DECO STYLIZED ROSES. Made probably by Haid & Neu for Harris which was a large London distributor. This machine dates to around 1930, the stylized roses are typical of the Art Deco style. Note the ruler inlaid in the base and the recessed hand crank, with the bobbin winder being directly driven from the gear wheel. Includes a lovely locking case with key. The base is cracked, so this may not be usable as is, but it is lovely and makes a wonderful display piece
I saw this on CL and was thinking about sending Lisa over to get it for me, that is a great deal on the machine whether its got a cracked base or not. Welding is not an option because you would ruin the finish so I would not even attempt that one. I would imagine that you could use the machine if you wanted to crack or no crack.

Billy