Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1120 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 120 620 1020 1070 1110 1119 1120 1121 1130 1170 1220 1620 ... LastLast
Results 27,976 to 28,000 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Tinabug View Post
    What is your opinion of the 301? Pros, Cons? I just purchased one, it's on the way, and I'm not sure that I should have purchased it.
    I've never seen one in operation, just read about them. Hopefully, it will have been a good buy ($163) It looks to be in nice condition. Anyway, I suppose I'm just looking for a little affirmation .
    I have a tan one and it is a workhorse. I have sewn heavy quilts on it as well as jeans, and it doesn't mind a bit. The price can vary according to location, seller/buyer motivation, condition, availability. Can't wait to hear how it sews for you. I was blind lucky, because I bought one in a cabinet, cradle and all, about 4 years ago before they got popular for $35. It came from a pretty rough little flea market that was about to close down due to health problems of the owner, that none of my family could believe I even stopped at.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Yeehaa! I finally caught up. Had surgery 2 weeks ago and ended up wwaaaayy behind. What a great read it has been.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
    AARRRGGG!!! I am so frustrated. I put my machine away for the day and have so much work left to do. I am quilting all my Christmas presents on the 66 this year so I can get acquainted with her. I'm putting pics in here too. I want to use the stitch guide thing to follow a seam so I can quilt between two seams. I have no idea if that explanation makes sense. So I wrestled with this darn guide for 25 minutes before I FINALLY figured a way to get it on with the thumb screw. So I get the darn thing on and then the needle won't go down because the thing that holds the needle in keeps hitting the seam guide. How do I get this darn thing on? All that just to avoid marking the middle of the strips on the log cabin! All I want to do is follow the seam!

HELP!

This is what the seam guide looks like before I tried to wrestle it on the machine:

This is what it looked like when I FINALLY got it on.

And this one has the seam guide on, and my finger is next to the thing that holds the needle in. It keeps hitting the guide and it won't let the needle go down into the fabric to make the stitch. I'm sure it's operator error, I just cannot get it figured out.

I don't think you are suppose to have that quilting foot with the walking foot on. I thought it was designed to work alone. Isn't it hitting the walking foot?

Did you google Singer vintage quilting guides? I thought the quilting guide for the 66 also fits the FWs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady View Post
    Yeehaa! I finally caught up. Had surgery 2 weeks ago and ended up wwaaaayy behind. What a great read it has been.
    Hope your surgery went well and all is better for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    I don't think you are suppose to have that quilting foot with the walking foot on. I thought it was designed to work alone. Isn't it hitting the walking foot?

Did you google Singer vintage quilting guides? I thought the quilting guide for the 66 also fits the FWs.

Did someone specifically tell you this guide works with your machine? It doesn't look compatible with it... Not every modern foot and attachment will work on vintage machines.

Blog Entries

And are you sure that is for a low shank. My quilter guide looks different.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I will put the intructions for the Boye needle threader here for you. Some members may have one also without instructionsAttachment 288301
    That needle threader looks so cool!

Blog Entries
    Anyone interested in a road trip? Local pick up.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-TWO-...item3f1011af31

mpeters, once you get the first stitch line on a quilt, you would use the curved guide to follow that seam at the interval that you wanted so you don't have to mark each seam. The stitch line may be straight or a slight curve or wave, but the stitch lines would all be about the same.
    Last edited by lee231; 11-17-2011 at 05:32 AM.

I've been trying to talk my DH into a road trip for this one since I'd love to have it but don't think it's gonna happen. And when I counted up machines, I forgot one. A nekked 66 that we cleaned up and her decals were gone so we spiffed her up and she's all black and shiny and named Elvira. So I guess that makes me 36 machines (I think). Love them all.

Wish I lived in Idaho. I'd be bidding. This is tha type of machine my grandmother had, and on which my mother learned to sew. But no road trips for me. My DH doesn't see the need for any 'extra' machines! (Silly boy!)
    Last edited by Quilt Mom; 11-17-2011 at 07:23 AM.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady View Post
    Buslady, I hope your all better!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    If I counted right, that’s 35 machines in your home? Isn’t finding a place for them fun?

My wife and I turned our living and dining rooms into our sewing room back in 2009, since we were spending more time in the small sewing room (spare bedroom) anyway, including our guests that had to see what the latest project was. We have our 401A, 301A, 14SH654 serger, and the White W3300 Embroidery machine set up in a large 3-sided sewing area, with the 404, 221, and Genie 353B in portable cases and the JC Penney 7057 FA setting underneath ready to go when needed. A retired (wife’s first, now on standby) 14U344B serger and nine other assorted heads are stored down under there too. In our parlor area (living room), one of my 29K70 boot patcher treadles, a W&G Type 11 in a Parlor cabinet, my Grandmother’s old White VS3 treadle, and a W&G Automatic treadle are lined up along the wall, with my 28K2 hand crank and 221 hand crank setting on top of them. A Singer 20 and a Singer 24 are on small shelves up on the wall. A Davis NVF head is hiding on the floor between cabinets, and a Wards UHT-J266B (copy of my wife’s very first sewing machine) is trying to blend in with the kid’s photos and seasonal decorations on the bookcase built into the adjacent wall. A White Embossed Rotary is inside of the Martha Washington cabinet that is serving time as a coffee table. My Singer 319W hides in its model 56 cabinet and stool in the guest bathroom with my 66-1 hand crank in a portable case setting underneath ready to go, a pair of centennial heads (201-2 and a 15-91) are stashed on shelves in the main bedroom, and two cabinets containing a green Singer 185J and a bright blue Sears 158.443 serve as a desk for the computer that I am using. My newest acquisition, a 201K hand crank and portable case with extension are temporarily residing in the hallway next to some shelving, and Grandma’s 301A and cabinet are waiting in her bedroom for her to finish moving in with us later this month. The National Model J and portable case is hanging out in the bike shop (utility room), and the card table for the 404, 401A, and 301A is in another spare bedroom.

I think that makes 38 here inside the house, and I have 5 more of my collection at the shop, including another 29K70 treadle that I use there. Oh, and wait a minute, there’s an auction coming up this weekend that I hope to be at that lists a treadle and a portable.....

CD in Oklahoma
    Thayerrags, it seems we all have way too many machines! I am sitting at 36 after giving a couple away, but not that many in the house. I am transforming a storage cargo unit to a sewing machine show house! I only keep the ones in the house that are very ornate, or I use! What does Grandma think about living with so many machines?

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 11-17-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I will put the intructions for the Boye needle threader here for you. Some members may have one also without instructionsAttachment 288301
    Glenn that is so cool! Thank you for posting the needle threader page!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    m
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    I just nailed some 2 x 4's together when I was working on my Wheeler Wilson 8 to make a working platform for it. Just so happens that the Singer 12 sits nicely on it too. They are both smaller than all the others that I've worked on like the 128 or the 66.

The was the Wheeler Wilson 8 has a lower wheel, It had to have something to rest on or it would just roll around and not be stable at all.

Texas Jan
    Texas Jan, that is a great idea even for those of us that have 66's! I need something like that cradle to put my 3 - 66's in who don't have a cabinet or the cabinet is being refinished!

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 11-17-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    I did it again. This was was calling for HELP! Rescue me! The poor child was screaming help me!
    This machine was purchased as a restoration project that never got done.
    Someone started to clean the machine and silvered some of the decals, oh well...what is done is done.
    Attachment 288223Attachment 288224Attachment 288225

This isn't the worst cabinet that I have picked up, but this will be the worst one that I restore. I have the other drawer pulls in one of the drawers.
    I have NO idea where I'm going to put this machine...but I'm looking forward to cleaning her up.
    Monica, that is the prettiest cabinet I have seen in a long time. I love the shape of the cabinet! I especially love the 'feet' on the treadle; and, the name Eldredge on the treadle. Such a cool looking outfit! It doesn't look like it was wet? I can't wait to see that cabinet refinished - it will be a knockout! I have decided I am not getting any more treadle cabinets unless they are really ornate - I love the ones that have the company name on the cabinet or treadle irons like the way White and New Home did - I have never seen an Eldredge with the name on the cabinet and irons before! Keep us posted on your progress with that cabinet.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    I'd imagine quite a few of us could use a call from "Hoarders", the TV show, myself included. I started collecting Sewing machine trade cards--- small, light, and don't take up much space.
    Jon
    Jon,

We definetly do not need any suggestions on other sewing related memorabilia to save..oops collect!!

I have officially put myself on a timeout as I am afraid of accidentally vaccinating myself with one of my treasures!!
    “Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Now you made this hoarder think, "Wow, I wonder if I can find the trading cards to match all my machines? What are Sewing machine trading cards? Where can I even get them? I need them."
    Melinda,

Do you need to be vaccinated? ........ if so...sign up with Miriam!.. lol

Enablers ....all of you... lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Tinabug View Post
    What is your opinion of the 301? Pros, Cons? I just purchased one, it's on the way, and I'm not sure that I should have purchased it.
    I've never seen one in operation, just read about them. Hopefully, it will have been a good buy ($163) It looks to be in nice condition. Anyway, I suppose I'm just looking for a little affirmation .
    I like my 301... It is very user friendly... and a pleasure to sew with

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Over-25-Singe...item27bfe1b2d3

I think this is a good deal...I even see a walking foot in there!!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Singe...item2eb92fc359

Ohh a White 221... what a cutie!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish View Post
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Over-25-Singe...item27bfe1b2d3

I think this is a good deal...I even see a walking foot in there!!
    Maybe...but the postage makes it $49 already, if it goes off for that it might be worth it...much more and I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by greenini View Post
    Maybe...but the postage makes it $49 already, if it goes off for that it might be worth it...much more and I don't know.
    That is one of the pitfalls with ebay...Shipping!!

Blog Entries
    Since my worktable is in the house most of the time, I really needed something that would get them off the table just a bit. I imagine I will make one for the larger machines when I redo one. I am not a carpenter, but can nail a nail into a 2 x 4.

Texas Jan

Quote Originally Posted by greenini View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Over-25-Sing...#ht_500wt_1180