Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1121 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 121 621 1021 1071 1111 1120 1121 1122 1131 1171 1221 1621 ... LastLast
Results 28,001 to 28,025 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #28001
    Super Member greenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,552
    Blog Entries
    16
    Much better deal!!

  2. #28002
    Super Member ThayerRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Frederick, OK
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Thayerrags, it seems we all have way too many machines! I am sitting at 36 after giving a couple away, but not that many in the house. I am transforming a storage cargo unit to a sewing machine show house! I only keep the ones in the house that are very ornate, or I use! What does Grandma think about living with so many machines?
    Nancy
    I always say that “you can never have too much fabric or too many sewing machines”. Thirty-six is a nice number to build on, wouldn’t you say?

    I guess that Grandma’s ok with it. She’s known about them since I began collecting them, and has been here for week-long visits with them. This will be the first time that she’s actually lived with them for any period of time though. I gave some away just to make room for her to move in. The total count hasn’t changed much, but some cabinets had to go. There just wasn’t room in our small frame house. Right after a Davis Vertical Feed treadle and two VF heads went out, a Singer 20 toy and a Singer 201K portable hand crank came in to replace them. The 20 and its box are on a tiny shelf up on the wall, so it’s a real “space saver”.

    I should add that my wife is not a SM collector. She doesn’t have much use for a machine that she doesn’t use at one time or another. She sews, I collect.

    CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

  3. #28003
    Super Member mpeters1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,624
    Thank you to all of you who responded regarding my guide issue.

    No, it doesn't hit the walking foot at all. It hits the needle bar.
    I cant figure out a way to get it onto the machine any other way than the way that doesn't work. (I know, clear as mud)
    I've not seen a guide that looks like that before. I do not have a walking foot for the FW, I have one for my janome. This guide came with the machine in the accessories box when I bought it.
    There is no slot to push the guide into the side of the walking foot like there is on my janome foot.
    If I take the walking foot off and use the guide instead, I don't think it will feed the quilt evenly.

    I think I might just tape it. I'll call my machine guy at the shop I bought it from and verify that it really goes on my machine. I was so excited to have a guide and try it out, since quilting is IMPOSSIBLE on my janome, and it's so frustrating that it doesn't work. I still think I'm not doing something right somewhere, but I just can't figure out where.

    I feel like charlie brown and Lucy took my ball AGAIN!
    Proud mom/step-mom to 8 children. We promote awareness of Autism and Huntington's Disease. Please pm me if interested in sending Campbell's Soup Labels or box tops which we collect for our kids' schools.

  4. #28004
    Junior Member justtrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    231
    Unfortunately, this is the exact same seller so I don't know what their deal is with the shipping. They also used the exact same photo! hrumph!!
    “Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.” - Oscar Wilde

  5. #28005
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
    Thank you to all of you who responded regarding my guide issue.

    No, it doesn't hit the walking foot at all. It hits the needle bar.
    I cant figure out a way to get it onto the machine any other way than the way that doesn't work. (I know, clear as mud)
    I've not seen a guide that looks like that before. I do not have a walking foot for the FW, I have one for my janome. This guide came with the machine in the accessories box when I bought it.
    There is no slot to push the guide into the side of the walking foot like there is on my janome foot.
    If I take the walking foot off and use the guide instead, I don't think it will feed the quilt evenly.

    I think I might just tape it. I'll call my machine guy at the shop I bought it from and verify that it really goes on my machine. I was so excited to have a guide and try it out, since quilting is IMPOSSIBLE on my janome, and it's so frustrating that it doesn't work. I still think I'm not doing something right somewhere, but I just can't figure out where.

    I feel like charlie brown and Lucy took my ball AGAIN!
    I have one like it that came in with a NIB sewing machine. The little forks go under the presser foot screw on the outside of the presser foot. I will try to attach it to the machine and get a pic up later tonight. I have a "block party" for pre-Christmas that I am taking my mom to right now. Hang in there.

    Edit: I found the pic I was thinking of.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by melinda1962; 11-17-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Found the pic I have
    Melinda

  6. #28006
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish View Post
    Unfortunately, this is the exact same seller so I don't know what their deal is with the shipping. They also used the exact same photo! hrumph!!
    It's that "Priority International" is very high. If he went Economy (Parcel International ?) shipping would be way cheaper but there's no tracking, no insurance. The seller is playing it safe and doesn't want to get burnt.
    Jon

  7. #28007
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish View Post
    Jon,

    We definetly do not need any suggestions on other sewing related memorabilia to save..oops collect!!

    I have officially put myself on a timeout as I am afraid of accidentally vaccinating myself with one of my treasures!!
    Sometimes when one addiction is out of control and one is threatened with sleeping on top of treadle cabinets, it needs to be replaced with a more benign addiction. Don't think I could bring myself around to vaccinating myself, I'd probably hit an artery and make a real mess

  8. #28008
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    I absolutely hate vaccinations... I have seen some CL where someone was smoking something or popping funny pills to try to get rid of their addiction....

  9. #28009
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Something wrong here. What happened to the cabinets and machines?
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/fuo/2708116433.html

  10. #28010
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Something wrong here. What happened to the cabinets and machines?
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/fuo/2708116433.html
    Didn't I just tell you people were poppin' funny pills or smokin' something???

  11. #28011
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    487
    Blog Entries
    1

    Singer 12 Wheel

    Does anyone know how to remove the wheel from a Singer Model 12 fiddlebase? I cannot see any screws and the center of the wheel twists freely and is attached to a strong spring that pulls it back into position. I was haping to take the wheel off when I repaint, but I may have to just leave it on and paint as best I can around her.

    Texas Jan

  12. #28012
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Remove belt guard. Drive out tapered pin on hand wheel and remove after soaking.

  13. #28013
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    487
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks--I'm not real sure where the tapered pin is. Maybe you could give me a clue?

    Texas Jan

  14. #28014
    Super Member deplaylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Webster, NY
    Posts
    1,007
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Something wrong here. What happened to the cabinets and machines?
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/fuo/2708116433.html
    This sort of has to do with a question I've been meaning to ask... is there a way to find out what kind of machine/cabinet the irons originally came from? I needed a table for my front entry and refused to pay the $250 all the furniture stores wanted for tables so my husband and I hit up the craft antique co-op.We found this for $40 - and since it was already past being a base and it is beautiful, its now Gretel's base. Any way to tell what it came from? It's 29" tall - the irons on my White treadle measure 14" to the wooden cabinet - these are really tall! I'd really like to know, but have no idea where to even start -- anyone recognize the shape/pattern?
    Attached Images Attached Images


  15. #28015
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Thanks--I'm not real sure where the tapered pin is. Maybe you could give me a clue?

    Texas Jan
    Guess the location would be called the "collar" of the handwheel or part of handwheel closest to the buisiness end. This pin (peg?) has to be driven from the small end. On mine it was a real PITA cause it hadn't been removed in 140 years and may not be worth removing for painting (?) Hope this is clear.
    Jon

  16. #28016
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
    This sort of has to do with a question I've been meaning to ask... is there a way to find out what kind of machine/cabinet the irons originally came from? I needed a table for my front entry and refused to pay the $250 all the furniture stores wanted for tables so my husband and I hit up the craft antique co-op.We found this for $40 - and since it was already past being a base and it is beautiful, its now Gretel's base. Any way to tell what it came from? It's 29" tall - the irons on my White treadle measure 14" to the wooden cabinet - these are really tall! I'd really like to know, but have no idea where to even start -- anyone recognize the shape/pattern?
    Looks like the ever popular "Pan Am" treadle! No, seriously. I have no idea, but the bottom shape made me think of Barbie's Friend Ship. Plus I have been watching "Pan Am" on hulu.
    Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.-Groucho Marx

  17. #28017
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
    This sort of has to do with a question I've been meaning to ask... is there a way to find out what kind of machine/cabinet the irons originally came from? I needed a table for my front entry and refused to pay the $250 all the furniture stores wanted for tables so my husband and I hit up the craft antique co-op.We found this for $40 - and since it was already past being a base and it is beautiful, its now Gretel's base. Any way to tell what it came from? It's 29" tall - the irons on my White treadle measure 14" to the wooden cabinet - these are really tall! I'd really like to know, but have no idea where to even start -- anyone recognize the shape/pattern?
    I'll venture a wild guess. The center support looks like something off a Sears Minnesota from 1910 or so. Google Sears Minnesota and view Images. If this isn't it I'd do the same with other makers from this time period but it might just be Sears. Also the bases vary from year to year even by the same makers. Hope this helps.
    Jon

  18. #28018
    Super Member Nanamoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish View Post

    Waaaahhhhh!! It probably won't be that price 2 days from now when the auction ends. I have 5 on ebay watch right now!! But I have some private leads too so not sure what decision I will make.

  19. #28019
    Super Member Nanamoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Sometimes when one addiction is out of control and one is threatened with sleeping on top of treadle cabinets, it needs to be replaced with a more benign addiction. Don't think I could bring myself around to vaccinating myself, I'd probably hit an artery and make a real mess
    Hmmm...a thought...you could use a blow up mattress and put it on top of the cabinets. All you need is a quilt!! LOL

  20. #28020
    Super Member mpeters1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    I have one like it that came in with a NIB sewing machine. The little forks go under the presser foot screw on the outside of the presser foot. I will try to attach it to the machine and get a pic up later tonight. I have a "block party" for pre-Christmas that I am taking my mom to right now. Hang in there.

    Edit: I found the pic I was thinking of.
    I swear if that works I will owe you coffee or a FQ or my firstborn son...well, you wouldnt' want any of my sons, too much maintenance...I owe you the next VSM I find. I don't know, but it's something! It looks like I was putting it on a bit backwards. I'm going to fiddle with it tomorrow and see if I can get it to match the pic. That would be AWESOME.

    Thank you.

    ~M~
    Proud mom/step-mom to 8 children. We promote awareness of Autism and Huntington's Disease. Please pm me if interested in sending Campbell's Soup Labels or box tops which we collect for our kids' schools.

  21. #28021
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    Hmmm...a thought...you could use a blow up mattress and put it on top of the cabinets. All you need is a quilt!! LOL
    .......Anything to squeeze a few more treadles in. There must be 50 ways........

  22. #28022
    Super Member deplaylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Webster, NY
    Posts
    1,007
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    I'll venture a wild guess. The center support looks like something off a Sears Minnesota from 1910 or so. Google Sears Minnesota and view Images. If this isn't it I'd do the same with other makers from this time period but it might just be Sears. Also the bases vary from year to year even by the same makers. Hope this helps.
    Jon
    I'll have to go research. It would be interesting, seeing as I have a Minnesota B treadle head in my sewing room. Now if I could only find a crank that work on it!

  23. #28023
    Super Member deplaylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Webster, NY
    Posts
    1,007
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
    I'll have to go research. It would be interesting, seeing as I have a Minnesota B treadle head in my sewing room. Now if I could only find a crank that work on it!
    Yep - looks like you were right - I found this pic of a Minnesota B, and my base does have holes in the right places where it would bolt to the cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deplaylady; 11-17-2011 at 09:48 PM.

  24. #28024
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    I hope to be published in a few years and then we all can critique the snot out of it until it is right!!

    Billy[/QUOTE]
    When you do get your book published let us know so were can buy a copy of it with your signature. Kathie

  25. #28025
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
    I swear if that works I will owe you coffee or a FQ or my firstborn son...well, you wouldnt' want any of my sons, too much maintenance...I owe you the next VSM I find. I don't know, but it's something! It looks like I was putting it on a bit backwards. I'm going to fiddle with it tomorrow and see if I can get it to match the pic. That would be AWESOME.

    Thank you.

    ~M~
    Not sure about the fit with the walking foot, but hope it helped some. That pic is from an 18 piece greist attachment set manual, by the way. I have FMQed with the straight line, and it is pretty easy if the walking foot/guide combo does not work. Good luck!!!
    Melinda

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.