Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 PM

Well, I would buy it in a second if the seller would ship!! But isn't a 99 heavy?

Originally Posted by jljack
Here's a 99 in Tracy, CA for sale for $30 with a foot pedal. That definately a good deal!!

http://centralvalley.ebayclassifieds...ne/?ad=4728187
Old 05-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Well, I would buy it in a second if the seller would ship!! But isn't a 99 heavy?
Yes, a 99 is heavy. Gives me good workout when I am moving it around or using it to sew at the kitchen table. ~ Chris
Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by miriam
In the beginning of the week, I posted that the bobbin "throat plate" just goes around in my FW and tonight it the first I've been able to get to it. Someone told me the "finger" needed to be put in the "notch". That appears to be the problem, but I can't get the throat plate out. I have no idea how it came out to begin with. I have never removed it. So how do I get it out to put it back in correctly??
do you have a manual?
I do, but it doesn't show me how to remove it. Just to be sure it's inserted correctly if you should remove it. LOL! Driving me crazy!
I might be turned around on my 'replies' and 'quote replies' but back on page 1061 Miriam wrote:

check out page 8 or 9 in the operator manual
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/singfea.pdf

Figure 12 look at B2 and A2
Then on the next page there is a "CAUTION: If the throat plate is removed for cleaning the stitch forming mechanism, etc., make certain when replacing the throat plate that the position finger (A2) enters the notch (B2) of the position plate attached to the under side of the throat plate."

those old manuals have a lot of info - it might pay to check in there

I am having the same problem and couldn't tell from the tiny diagrams in the original manual that came with my FW.

Sewwww, I have printed it out and am going to try it after we eat dinner here pretty soon. I like that the online manual shows the diagram much larger and also, that I can go on to the computer if it isn't big enough and increase the percentage size of the text by clicking on (in the lower right hand corner of my screen) and increase the percentage size even larger. Maybe you and I will both be succcessful using this online manual. Let me know how it works for you. :-D
Here is t he problem... it's not the bobbin or the bobbin case, it is the throat plate. Three different things. The bobbin and the bobbin case I can hold in my hand. The throat plate I can't remove. So why is it not in "notch B2"?? It should be. I didn't remove it, but I can't get it out to replace it in the correct position. I have had the bobbin and case out before to refill or replace the bobbin, but the throat plate never "moved" out of position before. My book has the same picture in it on page 11. There has to be a way to remove it for cleaning as the book says, but it doesn't say how.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Randa, you are right, your problem is different than mine. Why not post a photo of your problem and maybe someone can help you. Sometimes it might take a day or two. :-D
Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Green Sphinx Update: Pictures ~ I talked the owner into letting me clean and polish her, so with her permission I am posting some pictures.

I compared the decals to my Sphinx and they are the same decal just tinted differently. I previously wondered if it could be like the Brown Lotus - paint color tint issue making it more rare???

Does anyone have any ideas? SN# C7770783 which indicates that it was manufactured in Prussia Germany - but the records have been lost.

Judy
Judy Wow, at first glance I thought - reproduction - NOT! That machine is so pristine! It is a 127, made in Prussia sometime after 1908. I have not seen one that color -- all I can say is WOW and WOW. I wonder what Billy or Miz Johnny have to say? I wonder if it was repainted?

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Thought I might show off my Japan 15 Clone. She looks very similar to a Necchi but without decals. Very shinny, sews wonderfully, and came with a box of attachments :)

I don't know, call me crazy, but everytime I look at her, she reminds me of the classic "little black dress" - so that is what I call her.

Judy
Judy, I love your "little black dress," and I hate to say this, but why do you think it is a 15 clone? The 15 clones have the tension disk on the face plate just like a Model 15. Is that machine the size of a 99? What are the demensions of the machine? Anyway, it is a really cute machine and I certainly am not trying to put the machine down it is really cute for sure! It actually reminds me of a 301!

Nancy

After looking at it again, I can see why you thought it was a 15 clone, except for the tension disk, it does look like a 15.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by miriam
In the beginning of the week, I posted that the bobbin "throat plate" just goes around in my FW and tonight it the first I've been able to get to it. Someone told me the "finger" needed to be put in the "notch". That appears to be the problem, but I can't get the throat plate out. I have no idea how it came out to begin with. I have never removed it. So how do I get it out to put it back in correctly??
do you have a manual?
I do, but it doesn't show me how to remove it. Just to be sure it's inserted correctly if you should remove it. LOL! Driving me crazy!
I might be turned around on my 'replies' and 'quote replies' but back on page 1061 Miriam wrote:

check out page 8 or 9 in the operator manual
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/singfea.pdf

Figure 12 look at B2 and A2
Then on the next page there is a "CAUTION: If the throat plate is removed for cleaning the stitch forming mechanism, etc., make certain when replacing the throat plate that the position finger (A2) enters the notch (B2) of the position plate attached to the under side of the throat plate."

those old manuals have a lot of info - it might pay to check in there

I am having the same problem and couldn't tell from the tiny diagrams in the original manual that came with my FW.

Sewwww, I have printed it out and am going to try it after we eat dinner here pretty soon. I like that the online manual shows the diagram much larger and also, that I can go on to the computer if it isn't big enough and increase the percentage size of the text by clicking on (in the lower right hand corner of my screen) and increase the percentage size even larger. Maybe you and I will both be succcessful using this online manual. Let me know how it works for you. :-D
Take the screws out of the throat plate. Then just lift the throat plate out. The bobbin holder/shuttle thingy will rotate all by itself. You will have to rotate it up to the correct position when you put the throat plate back on according to the directions in the manual - really not too hard. Some times you have to pray a lot. You can do it. Get a good look at the diagram for how the shuttle & throat plate nestle. The only thing you should take apart is the throat plate. That diagram where they take it all apart is pretty scary and not what you need.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

[quote
Here is t he problem... it's not the bobbin or the bobbin case, it is the throat plate. Three different things. The bobbin and the bobbin case I can hold in my hand. The throat plate I can't remove. So why is it not in "notch B2"?? It should be. I didn't remove it, but I can't get it out to replace it in the correct position. I have had the bobbin and case out before to refill or replace the bobbin, but the throat plate never "moved" out of position before. My book has the same picture in it on page 11. There has to be a way to remove it for cleaning as the book says, but it doesn't say how.[/quote]

I wonder what is keeping the throat plate from coming out - it is held on by a couple screws. Are they too tight? You don't have to take the shuttle off you just turn it until it fits in the notch B2 - then quick screw the throat plate back down. I wouldn't remove or disassemble the shuttle ever - not for cleaning even. Shoot some canned air or something to get the lint out. I use a clean eyelash brush to clean. It could be that it had some lint in there and jumped the track or something. Who knows - could be the sewing machine gremlins got in there one night when you weren't looking. Pray a lot...

The screws are in an awkward position. I use a screw driver tip DH gave me from his kit. Then I bought a tiny wrench to go over the tip. I use it for feed dogs or throat plates. Other wise a long skinny screw driver with the tip ground at a bit of an angle will work - I had a good one that was stolen when someone threw the sewing machine through the door and broke in my house.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:50 PM

Found this listed on eBay...very interssting machine. Has anyone heard of this company??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Rare-State-...=item20b9622d5
Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 PM

Kitzone, the black machine does look a lot like a Necchi. I wonder if it's a Japanese made Nelco produced when the Necchi/Elna sales rep thought he would combine the two and produce a machine in Japan under a new name. I think his name was Jolson? Little black dress is a good name. I think mine has elegant lines.