Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-07-2011, 03:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by twinkie
Billy, did you get a chance to see the photo of my 1852 Grover and Baker treadle? It is posted on page 1649. I would like to know your thoughts on it. I had never seen a machine like that. And I know that you are the sewing machine expert. Thanks in advance.
I will go and look at it right now! But I can say this site unseen I would be all over it like white on rice!

Billy
Old 10-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Banned

I am going to try to post pictures of our oldest machine. (We have 38). It is an 1852 Grover and Baker treadle with a coffin lid. It has a beautiful Walnut cabinet and the machine moves freely. It is going to have to be cleaned up and "polished". It has been in a storage unit for 6 years. The only thing we can see that it needs is "beautification and some TLC".
Oh man that looks like the one I missed out on at a auction not to long before I got sick. Yeah I would be so proud to own that machine and if you cold find the model just before that one you would have a treadle with the band wheel facing the other way. That was some really neat engineering involved in that machine and they were of super high quality!!

Billy
Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 AM

I have a 1901 White treadle that came with one long needle installed and a whole bunch of shorter needles in one drawer. She sews reasonably well with the longer needle - how do I tell what size the needle is (it's pretty rusty) so I can get replacements? I'm afraid to use her much as I sure don't want to break her needle .......... thanks!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Billy, my DH collected vintage machines in the late 90's. When he was in the process of a divorce, he went to Florida for his son's wedding. While he was gone, his estranged wife broke into the home (which he retained as his residence) and took all of the machines except two of them. One of those taken was a Grover and Baker circa 1855 (page 105 of Encyclopedia of Early American and Antique Sewing Machines Third Edition) with a curved needle. She sold them to a antique shop for about $25-$50 each. This Grover and Baker was one of two machines left. A couple of those taken were a Wheeler and Willson (picture on page 254, fig 2-317 same book) and a Wheeler and Wilson (close to the one on page 258) It was from the Civil War era.

The other one that is left is a Wilcox and Gibbs which was one of the first portables. It was similar to the one on Page 267 (bottom) but an earlier model, probably around 1920. He was heart sick. Thanks for listening to my story. I knew you would appreciate the information.

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am going to try to post pictures of our oldest machine. (We have 38). It is an 1852 Grover and Baker treadle with a coffin lid. It has a beautiful Walnut cabinet and the machine moves freely. It is going to have to be cleaned up and "polished". It has been in a storage unit for 6 years. The only thing we can see that it needs is "beautification and some TLC".
Oh man that looks like the one I missed out on at a auction not to long before I got sick. Yeah I would be so proud to own that machine and if you cold find the model just before that one you would have a treadle with the band wheel facing the other way. That was some really neat engineering involved in that machine and they were of super high quality!!

Billy
Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

The pre Civil War models were what sparked his interest in Antique and Vintage machines. The workmanship on these machines was stunning. You never see that kind of workmanship today. Most everything today is made with so many (plastic) parts, repairing them is really difficult when they breakdown.

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fabb
Okay, I need some help here. Do I *really* need a third 201-3? Don't enable me, but it is a centennial in a portable case for $50. I'm still trying to put my 411g back together and I'm looking at other machines. I feel like I'm cheating on the ones waiting in line to be cleaned. Not to mention that I'm getting no sewing done. And I still need to go pick up my treadle with a 15-96 in it sometime in the next week.

What is a girl to do? ;)
No you don't need a 3rd. However, I need at least 1, 201-3 :)

I think you need to rescue and store it for me............just in case you realllllllllly don't want it!! ;)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
I have a 1901 White treadle that came with one long needle installed and a whole bunch of shorter needles in one drawer. She sews reasonably well with the longer needle - how do I tell what size the needle is (it's pretty rusty) so I can get replacements? I'm afraid to use her much as I sure don't want to break her needle .......... thanks!
Go to this page and find your machine on the list...I'm betting that it takes the 20x1, but don't know for sure without knowing what the machine is.
http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Hi, I just finally packed up my White Rotary for the move (I posted pictures on page 1650). Before I padded her box and put her in the trailer I did get her serial number FR 2493015. I didn't see her number listed on the site I have. Can anyone give me a site where I can find the date?

Thanks,
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Hi, I just finally packed up my White Rotary for the move (I posted pictures on page 1650). Before I padded her box and put her in the trailer I did get her serial number FR 2493015. I didn't see her number listed on the site I have. Can anyone give me a site where I can find the date?

Thanks,
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...78886693lsIAUe or call
White Dating: 1-800-446-2333 or 440-808-6550

I called and they were able to give me a date right away.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM

Thanks,
From the website, it looks like 1916....but I'd call and cross check! :)