Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi,
The Boye 20's are made for the oldest Vertical Feeds, the machine below my name. Boye 10's will work on everything else except for the New Vertical Feeds which take the 15x1. The MT X 190 work well as a Boye 10 replacement except the shank is round instead of flat so you have to orient the needle. This needle is common and you can get a wide range of sizes. Someone clever "discovered" (not me) this was a good replacement for the expensive Boye 10. I've used it with good results in New High Arms (VF1) and VF2. Best of luck. Jon
Jon; Thanks for this information. I am stoked about going to see this machine with an understanding that it may be a disappointment if it is not what the seller said it is. Oh weel, going to look anyway even if I'm not buying.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 PM

Hi,
The Boye 20's are made for the oldest Vertical Feeds
Jon
Jon,

I am working on a Low Arm Vertical feed with serial number 75144. The stitch in test is next as I just got the walking foot freed up and moving. As this is one of the oldest Vertical Feeds, are you saying that I need the Boye 20 needle and not the Boye 10?

Thanks,
Cathy
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Jon; Thanks for this information. I am stoked about going to see this machine with an understanding that it may be a disappointment if it is not what the seller said it is. Oh weel, going to look anyway even if I'm not buying.
I wouldn't worry too much about a shuttle for a later VF (VF2 or NVF) Their are tons of them out there since many Davis Sears machines (Minnesota's) used them. Boye #9 is new old stock shuttle. The boat shuttle like Janice got a great deal on is a lot tougher. This machine has the pie shaped tension disk on the top middle of the arm. Hoping your machine is in great shape with a good shuttle and all this information is not needed.
Jon
Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Looks to be a gorgeous machine and cabinet. I haven't won the Lotto yet. So, it's up to someone else to rescue this beauty.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2795037147.html

Oooooooo yummy! I could really go for this one!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
I excited for you too! Look at how much you have learned just from preparing for this event. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your machine.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=Mizkaki;4866496]Jon,

I am working on a Low Arm Vertical feed with serial number 75144. The stitch in test is next as I just got the walking foot freed up and moving. As this is one of the oldest Vertical Feeds, are you saying that I need the Boye 20 needle and not the Boye 10?

Boye 20 is the needle called for on the Boye chart. This is a round shanked needle and slightly shorter than the Boye 10. My LAVF (186XXX) had a round shanked "Davis" needle a hair shorter than the 20 in the needlebar. Still looking for some parts and a shuttle so I can't say how it worked out. If you have Boye 10's I'd try them out as there both pretty close in size.
The LAVF is on my wish list to have a working machine---did you notice the wheel turns away from the sewer (operator)? I think the Davis VF group has a manual if you need one.
Good luck with it
Jon
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 PM

You said "Boye 20 is the needle called for on the Boye chart. This is a round shanked needle and slightly shorter than the Boye 10."

Jon,

I have a copy of this LAVF manual and it says to "set the needle with the flat side to the needlebar".
I find this confusing as the Boye 20 is a round needle with no flat.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Cathy
Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about a shuttle for a later VF (VF2 or NVF) Their are tons of them out there since many Davis Sears machines (Minnesota's) used them. Boye #9 is new old stock shuttle. The boat shuttle like Janice got a great deal on is a lot tougher. This machine has the pie shaped tension disk on the top middle of the arm. Hoping your machine is in great shape with a good shuttle and all this information is not needed.
Jon
Wow Jon, great information to keep on hand. I remember hunting for a shuttle for my DVF because I thought the reason I couldn't get my DVF pre 1900 machine to pick up the shuttle thread was because I thought I needed a new shuttle. I hunted and finally found a shuttle that actually said Davis on the shuttle and it was priced at $50! Now, if I need a shuttle I'll remember to check out the Minnesota's shuttle!

Nancy
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Jon,

Thanks,
Cathy
Cathy, I accidentally bought a couple tubes of the Boye # 20 needles when I was buying the Boye # 10's, then found out they are for the older - boat shuttle Davis - and you are right, they are round without a flat side.

Nancy
Old 01-12-2012, 06:00 AM

[QUOTE=irishrose;4866247]I found a 15 clone branded MW- probably Montgomery Wards tonight. The machine is in very good condition, but the case is ugly and worn. It's not for sale, but I may write the organization a letter. Is $50 a reasonable offer? There is also a Pfaff from the same time period, but it didn't call to me.[/QUOTE

Irish, was the Pfaff a plastic wonder or older and metal? I really have a soft spot for a Pfaff. I would probably have bought the Pfaff!

I went to see our sewing repair guy today and even he can't find a Pfaff 4228! If you google the 4228, it will come up, but when you go to the site to start the search - nothing! No manual, nothing, although, I did find a slide plate listed for a Pfaff 4228. I contacted the company and they want a picture of the machine and plug because they can find nothing out on it either?

Nancy