Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM

Miriam, I already bought a bobbin case it should be in the mail to me by now.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:54 PM

This machine was Introduced at the 1964 World Fair, a White 'Fair Lady' model 763. One of my first vintage machines in my collection.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235180.jpe  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

I saw one on CL the other day but I missed it. I thought it looked pretty cool. Do you like it?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I saw one on CL the other day but I missed it. I thought it looked pretty cool. Do you like it?
I love it. Does the best straight stitch! Though I had to plunk $70 into it to have it re-timed. But, worth it to me as it will sew forever.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM

That's pretty Candace!

I want one... :lol:
Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 AM

I keep reading about having a machine re-timed and would like to ask what that means..... Does that apply only to the newer machines or do the old vintage and antique machines require that. How would you know if your machine needed that service anyway?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 AM

Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this baby is gonna take a bunch of time, work and TLC to get it fully functional again. Time, which at this point I do not have to spare. I haven't started research in this particular model. The wiring needs replacing for sure, so haven't tried to get 'er working. The wheel is difficult to turn. Cabinet repair is pretty much just a glue/clamp situation, I hope. Will need refinish work too, as the varnish is badly blistered. Machine will probably respond to a good cleaning and oiling. It's been sitting for years, it'll just have to sit a couple more months.

Machine will not fully lift in its current condition.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235257[/ATTACH]

Will need new knobs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235258[/ATTACH]

Cable run area needs to be glued and clamped.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235259[/ATTACH]

Need for dirt removal and glue.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235260[/ATTACH]

At least it still has attachments.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235261[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235251.jpe   attachment-235252.jpe   attachment-235253.jpe   attachment-235254.jpe   attachment-235255.jpe  

Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 AM

olebat, it looks like you have quite a project on your hands.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
I keep reading about having a machine re-timed and would like to ask what that means..... Does that apply only to the newer machines or do the old vintage and antique machines require that. How would you know if your machine needed that service anyway?
When the timing is off, you'll have tons of skipped stitches, or you won't be able to sew without breaking needles. The timing is the correlation between the needle dropping into the bobbin area, and the bobbin shuttle being in the right position to catch the thread from the needle and loop around it. (so to speak)
It applies no matter what machine you have or how old it is, and while sewing machine repair guys would have you believe that it's brain surgery, it's not all that tough to accomplish...good instructions and a little patience will get you through setting the timing on your machine. :)
Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this baby is gonna take a bunch of time, work and TLC to get it fully functional again. Time, which at this point I do not have to spare. I haven't started research in this particular model. The wiring needs replacing for sure, so haven't tried to get 'er working. The wheel is difficult to turn. Cabinet repair is pretty much just a glue/clamp situation, I hope. Will need refinish work too, as the varnish is badly blistered. Machine will probably respond to a good cleaning and oiling. It's been sitting for years, it'll just have to sit a couple more months.
Looks to me like you've not only looked in that gift horse's mouth, but have seen the rotton teeth and decided it was worthwhile anyway! :)
You've got your work set for you, and I can't wait to see the "after" pictures! Sure you don't have time to work on it now???? ;)