Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1479 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 479 979 1379 1429 1469 1478 1479 1480 1489 1529 1579 ... LastLast
Results 36,951 to 36,975 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #36951
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    474
    Score!! Candace, good finds.

    Good comparisons of the Singer machines, friends. I like to hear what other people think of them, to see if I am thinking along the same lines. What I like about the 319 is how you can just flip the lever, but also do the combination stitches in the manual with the cam/lever combinations. I think it is quite an advanced system for its age.
    Melinda

  2. #36952
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    474
    Also, I was going to try to leave a glowing feedback on how well Miriam packed and shipped the machine I bought from her, but my computer literacy, and finding the right button to push is not doing something right. The machine was double bubble-wrapped, and was double boxed, with packing materials well placed to keep everything in place, and she had double bubbled anything that would scratch anything else and put it in here. I think she should create a web page showing all her machines and prices, and actually make a proper business of it. Good job, Miriam!!
    Melinda

  3. #36953
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Also, I was going to try to leave a glowing feedback on how well Miriam packed and shipped the machine I bought from her, but my computer literacy, and finding the right button to push is not doing something right. The machine was double bubble-wrapped, and was double boxed, with packing materials well placed to keep everything in place, and she had double bubbled anything that would scratch anything else and put it in here. I think she should create a web page showing all her machines and prices, and actually make a proper business of it. Good job, Miriam!!
    Melinda I agree with you about the flip of the lever on the 319 - ease of use, and it being an advanced technology for that time period!

    I also think Miriam could make a business out of her machine addiction! She does a great job with shipping! My Pfaff 260 was packed so nicely it was hard to unpack! Love it! The problem is now I am going to really be picky about having something shipped - unless it comes from Miriam!

    Nancy

  4. #36954
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    you need a table with a hole in it so you can change the bobbin.
    Attachment 350797
    You know Miriam, the SewMor I got on Saturday has a cabinet with a 'hole.' I will have to check into cutting a hole in the cabinet for the 319w, but I am so picky about the cabinets and machines that I probably will just leave it the way it is - for now!

    I was just playing with the Sew Mor and realized it takes a long/high shank - not a slant - nor a low shank foot! Yet, it takes class 15 bobbins! Geeze, too bad all these people didn't make the machines take the same accessories! Now I will have to buy some high shank feet, as none of my other 50+ machines use that foot!

    Nancy

  5. #36955
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    You know Miriam, the SewMor I got on Saturday has a cabinet with a 'hole.' I will have to check into cutting a hole in the cabinet for the 319w, but I am so picky about the cabinets and machines that I probably will just leave it the way it is - for now!

    I was just playing with the Sew Mor and realized it takes a long/high shank - not a slant - nor a low shank foot! Yet, it takes class 15 bobbins! Geeze, too bad all these people didn't make the machines take the same accessories! Now I will have to buy some high shank feet, as none of my other 50+ machines use that foot!

    Nancy
    just see if they can trade cabinets. See how you like it before you make a hole.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  6. #36956
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    To me, the 319 is just as complicated as the 401. Levers to slide, keys to raise and lower, nobs to turn, and there's no instruction chart. At least with the 401 you pop open the trap door and there's a nice chart you can go by to set machine for what you want.

    If you want simple, get a 338. Pop the cam in, and go. Only a couple levers to move just like an old straight stitch.

    I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. theory. The more simpler the better. That's why I'm still learning how to run that Alden of ours, whoever designed it never heard of the K.I.S.S. theory.

    Joe

  7. #36957
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    I seem to find the 401 series much more complicated than the 319. The 319 is much more intuitive, IMO. But, all these machines have their quirks. That's why we love them:>

  8. #36958
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    I own numerous Singers that can make wonderful decorative stitches: 401, 328k, 224. The 328k and the 224 take the flat cams while the 401 doesn't. I find that using the flat cams is just so much easier to set up than dealing with the system of the 401. I also prefer machines that take standard needles, 15x1; so, the Singer 306 ad 319 are of no interests to me. Keeping it simple is my one big motto. My favorite decorative machine right now is the Singer 224 since it has the cams, uses standard needles, and is made to treadle.

  9. #36959
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    <snip>Keeping it simple is my one big motto. My favorite decorative machine right now is the Singer 224 since it has the cams, uses standard needles, and is made to treadle.
    The 224 sounds very interesting to me. I'll have to do some research on it. Did that model still have the steel gears? That is my one must be criteria. We have some machines with plastic gears and they sew well, but they have no real interest to me other than being a learning experience.

    Joe

  10. #36960
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    The 224 sounds very interesting to me. I'll have to do some research on it. Did that model still have the steel gears? That is my one must be criteria. We have some machines with plastic gears and they sew well, but they have no real interest to me other than being a learning experience.

    Joe
    Joe, From what I see, it's all metal. It is not a gear driven machine. Here is a link to the Singer 226 video that someone made recently. She noticed my posting of my 224 and sent me the link to her video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5GsfYcYqxc
    There is also a link to photos of her machine.

    My machine came in treadle. Her model has a light and switch on side for pressure bar, while mine doesn't. I have the earlier model. Here are two photos of mine, 224.
    Name:  Screen shot 2012-07-23 at 1.52.03 PM.png
Views: 896
Size:  919.2 KBName:  Screen shot 2012-07-23 at 1.51.50 PM.png
Views: 603
Size:  1.01 MB
    Last edited by vintagemotif; 07-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.

  11. #36961
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    vintagemotif,

    Thanks for the pics. I just went to the Singer site and downloaded what I thought was a 224 manual. Turn out it was a 9224 manual.

    I've seen that machine before, did you get it from GW? I specifically remember the hand written numbers over nob to the right of the cam.

    I'll be keeping my eyes open for one of these machines.

    Joe

  12. #36962
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    vintagemotif,

    Thanks for the pics. I just went to the Singer site and downloaded what I thought was a 224 manual. Turn out it was a 9224 manual.

    I've seen that machine before, did you get it from GW? I specifically remember the hand written numbers over nob to the right of the cam.

    I'll be keeping my eyes open for one of these machines.

    Joe
    Not from GW. I have posted this machine in the machine photo thread. So it might be there that you saw it. I found it off CL. The poster of the CL ad stated it was a 401, but I knew better.

  13. #36963
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    Sometimes I get a kick out of knowing what others don't. You can sometimes get pretty good deals that way.

    Joe

  14. #36964
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    474
    Well, I woke up smelled the coffee after reading about all the singer machine comparisons, and decided to get all mine out. It had never occurred to me that the slant attachments for the 404, which I have the full set, including the buttonholer, will work on the 301 that only came with the straight stitch foot on it, but for what I paid, that was ok. Somebody tell me if that is true or not.
    Melinda

  15. #36965
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Well, I woke up smelled the coffee after reading about all the singer machine comparisons, and decided to get all mine out. It had never occurred to me that the slant attachments for the 404, which I have the full set, including the buttonholer, will work on the 301 that only came with the straight stitch foot on it, but for what I paid, that was ok. Somebody tell me if that is true or not.
    404 and 301 feet and attachments will work either way. BTW that 404 is way under-rated.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  16. #36966
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by PBobbin13 View Post
    Hello. I am cleaning up a beautiful lady I've dubbed Madame Martha after the woman who gifted me with this beautiful machine. It's an Eldredge improved model B treadle. So far have mostly worked on her finish which is coming to life after lots of elbow grease. I finally was able to get the head lifted up to search for treasure in the belly of the cabinet - and found two more bobbins giving me a total of five. They need to be cleaned with Brasso but I'm excited to have found them. One spot on the bottom is frozen up that controls the stitch length selector but I'll get it free. Everything else works smoothly. I'm fairly new to this board and wonder if the pictures of these old beauties are in the pictures section or somewhere within this section. The Eldredge was originally made in Chicago, then merged with the June Co. (maker of the Jennie June treadle) and after 1890 became the National Sewing Machine Co. which then became New Home and eventually became Janome. Very interesting history. Thanks for directing me to pictures of old machines.
    This post was from 7/15/2012

    Today PBobbin13 sent me a PM. This is a copy of the PM:
    " Today, 05:54 PM
    PBobbin13

    Member Join DateSep 2010LocationMississippiPosts8

    Eldredge

    Hi. My name is Barb and I am the owner of the old Eldredge. Your stitch length selector raises much higher than mine which tells me something is still frozen inside somewhere. But I'll put that Liquid Wrench to it and get it working yet, even if I have to take it completely apart. I've not posted often to the board and couldn't remember where I posted my message. Love getting old. I'd be happy to send you pictures to your private email as I'm not exactly sure how to post them or where to post them here. Have you located a patent impression on the cabinet just below the hand wheel? Mine is 1901. I really want to get this beauty humming again. I got most of the rust off with Brasso and elbow grease and old knit tighty whities that belonged to my husband. I was able to get a manual online for a model newer than this with a complete parts list. Felt very lucky to find it.

    Stay in touch.

    Barb Pampel
    N/E Mississippi"


    Barb, I'm sorry but I do NOT give out my private email. So you can't be sending me any pictures to my private email, I don't care how old or sweet you are. You seemed to have no difficultly navigating around before and posting pictures to the Quilting Board. I checked your info.

    I'm willing to help all, but PLEASE just post the questions on this thread and not to my QBpm. Thank you.

  17. #36967
    Super Member Havplenty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MO (the Show Me state)
    Posts
    2,975
    Blog Entries
    8
    i have never seen a treadle enclosed in a cabinet before.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/fuo/3158686826.html
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)



  18. #36968
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,133
    Nancy,
    Its just as hard to pack a machine properly as it is to get into it. It takes about 2 hours to pack one.
    I have packed and shipped quite a few machines for customers.
    Sharon W.

  19. #36969
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,133
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Well, I woke up smelled the coffee after reading about all the singer machine comparisons, and decided to get all mine out. It had never occurred to me that the slant attachments for the 404, which I have the full set, including the buttonholer, will work on the 301 that only came with the straight stitch foot on it, but for what I paid, that was ok. Somebody tell me if that is true or not.
    I use feet from a Singer 404 on my 301s. I have 2 black short beds.
    Sharon

  20. #36970
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    528
    Just a quick question. Hope someone can help. I recently got a 185j which is a nice machine.

    But:

    Does the finish on others have a rougher feel or is it super smooth?
    Does anyone know where I can get "green wiring" for a rewiring of the engine.

    Thanks...Dan

  21. #36971
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    PBobbin13 aka Barb,

    Yes, I did remember seeing the patent date on the cabinet, but I didn't remember the date. Okay, I had some time to check the date which is Aug 6 1901.

  22. #36972
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    528
    have never seen a treadle enclosed in a cabinet before.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/fuo/3158686826.html

    That is so nice, I'm tempted to fly there to get it...from NJ. I'd go for it NO Questions Asked...!!!!!!!
    Last edited by DanofNJ; 07-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.

  23. #36973
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Well, I woke up smelled the coffee after reading about all the singer machine comparisons, and decided to get all mine out. It had never occurred to me that the slant attachments for the 404, which I have the full set, including the buttonholer, will work on the 301 that only came with the straight stitch foot on it, but for what I paid, that was ok. Somebody tell me if that is true or not.
    You will have to test the attachments. I know the darning foot made for and came with the 401 doesn't work on the 301. And of course the 401 walking foot won't mesh with the 301 feed dogs.

  24. #36974
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    I don't remember if mine feels rough or smooth. But, no, there's no green wire to match the 185 that I'm aware of. Similarly, there are no green bobbin winder rings or green belts available either.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    Just a quick question. Hope someone can help. I recently got a 185j which is a nice machine.

    But:

    Does the finish on others have a rougher feel or is it super smooth?
    Does anyone know where I can get "green wiring" for a rewiring of the engine.

    Thanks...Dan

  25. #36975
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I don't remember if mine feels rough or smooth. But, no, there's no green wire to match the 185 that I'm aware of. Similarly, there are no green bobbin winder rings or green belts available either.
    nope - not unless you rob it off another machine - what's the point of that?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.