Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1591 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 591 1091 1491 1541 1581 1590 1591 1592 1601 1641 1691 ... LastLast
Results 39,751 to 39,775 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Do you have a picture... I'd like to see your machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
    Hi, Is there a post here about adjusting the timing on an oscillating bobbin machine...It's a vintage Bamberger deluxe zig zag and has internal cams for some other stitches....I would like to try doing it myself If possible...

I have a question about getting the dull finish off my new/old 128. I used oil to clean off the gunk, but it is still dull. I rubbed quite awhile. Does this mean that there isn't any shellac left? or do I need to keep rubbing with oil? I can feel the decal edges so the finish appears to be pretty thin. And, I want this beauty to be SHINY enough to reflect light. That's not happening at this point. Help!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    Thanks, Chris. I may have to find one. [
    QUOTE=chris_quilts;5705291]The bobbin tire is easily obtainable at any sew n vac center.
    [/QUOTE]Nanna, No problem as we freely share our knowledge on this thread and this site. When I'm there, I end to buy 2 - 3 at a time simply because I like to have them on hand for any new to me vintage machines that may need a tire. I do usually change that because I never know what age the tires may be and it's an inexpensive piece to replace.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Nanna, No problem as we freely share our knowledge on this thread and this site. When I'm there, I end to buy 2 - 3 at a time simply because I like to have them on hand for any new to me vintage machines that may need a tire. I do usually change that because I never know what age the tires may be and it's an inexpensive piece to replace.[/QUOTE]

I buy as many as sew-classic needs for the discount - I routinely replace them and belts and felt pads.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    I have a question about getting the dull finish off my new/old 128. I used oil to clean off the gunk, but it is still dull. I rubbed quite awhile. Does this mean that there isn't any shellac left? or do I need to keep rubbing with oil? I can feel the decal edges so the finish appears to be pretty thin. And, I want this beauty to be SHINY enough to reflect light. That's not happening at this point. Help!!
    nanna,

If you have the machine clean, it's time to stop. The patches of dullnes is the old shellac. The edges of the decals are telling you they are exposed. Stop right there. If you keep going the decals will be totally ruined.

Here is a tutorial by Skip about how to fix the shellac on the machines:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t186522.html

I haven't done that yet, but I have several machines that could use it.

Joe

miriam, you're right. I probably will need more tires and belts, etc. I have been getting a few machines lately.

Joe, thats what I was thinking. I don't want to do any damage to these decals. I've bookmarked Glen's tutorial and I have more machines that I need to work on once I get full use of my hand and arm again. Everyone tells me it will be another 4-6 weeks and then I'll still have to build up strength. So, I'm lining up the machine projects. I'll have so many questions once that happens.

I am having a banner week for sewing machines. My husband picked me up, at a random flea market stop, a Singer 500A (cordless, but already ordered cord) for $25 and a badly scuffed up Redeye for $15; both got a shot of oil, and when hand turned, they both make nice stitches. Then on a online ad, I found a $30 201 with accessories, book, and zz attachment, that my daughter picked up for me today. I have not seen it, but she says it is pretty. And on a cold call at a junk store, I got a nearly mint 237, for $10, that was ready to sew after I wiped the little bit of grime off. It will be a good machine to loan to close relatives who get a notion to sew something. I had been on a machine diet, but fell (jumped) off the wagon this week. The 201 has been on my wish list for a long time. Happy dance here today.
    Last edited by melinda1962; 12-12-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    I am having a banner week for sewing machines. My husband picked me up, at a random flea market stop, a Singer 500A (cordless, but already ordered cord) for $25 and a badly scuffed up Redeye for $15; both got a shot of oil, and when hand turned, they both make nice stitches. Then on a online ad, I found a $30 201 with accessories, book, and zz attachment, that my daughter picked up for me today. I have not seen it, but she says it is pretty. And on a cold call at a junk store, I got a nearly mint 237, for $10, that was ready to sew after I wiped the little bit of grime off. It will be a good machine to loan to close relatives who get a notion to sew something. I had been on a machine diet, but fell (jumped) off the wagon this week. The 201 has been on my wish list for a long time. Happy dance here today.
    Melinda, That is great! I am glad for you that you were able to get a machine you had on your wish list. The fact you got it, and a couple of others, at a good price is even better. How about posting some pictures of them? It's always good to have a few extra machines on hand.
    ~G~

Good for you!! .. and such good prices, too. We need to see some pictures, please.

Blog Entries
    Melinda, I'd say you leaped off the machine diet! Congratulations on all the new machines! What a diverse bunch too! Are you going to have to refinish cabinets along with cleaning up the machines? I agree, I'd like to see photos too when you get the chance!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Well, I have been wanting a Jones for a while now and all of a sudden I have a chance to get two! One is a HC. I go see it today. The guy said it is missing the knob that raises and lowers the foot. The case looks pretty rough too in the photos. The other one is a treadle that has been in this family forever. They are down sizing and someone told them about me so they are holding the treadle for me! WOW! I pretty much quit acquiring machines because I am running out of room, but I just may have to get both of these Jones' machines! Oh my, I keep telling myself to stop! I have all the machines I could ever use and then some! I don't need any more!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    I'd say that Santa filled your (sewing machine) stocking really well. Congratulations on the wonderful finds. Have fun getting them all in tip top shape. We are waiting for pix when you get them all together.
    Donna

Blog Entries
    Need and WANT are two different things. I bet we all could say that we don't really need any more machines but the fun of the find and refurbishing will end only when we can no longer hold a screw driver or see to squirt oil in the right holes. You have years to go and machines to acquire and fix...congratulations on having friends help you locate what you would like to have. Happy tune up time!
    Donna
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Well, I have been wanting a Jones for a while now and all of a sudden I have a chance to get two! One is a HC. I go see it today. The guy said it is missing the knob that raises and lowers the foot. The case looks pretty rough too in the photos. The other one is a treadle that has been in this family forever. They are down sizing and someone told them about me so they are holding the treadle for me! WOW! I pretty much quit acquiring machines because I am running out of room, but I just may have to get both of these Jones' machines! Oh my, I keep telling myself to stop! I have all the machines I could ever use and then some! I don't need any more!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Melinda, Congrats! Sounds like St. Nick filled your shoes nicely the other day. You will enjoy that Singer 201. They are one of the quietest machines with the prettiest stitches.

If you need to clean the race on the Singer 201, here are excellent and easy directions to follow:
    http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...bbin-case.html

Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Nancy
    Nancy, I truly believe that the machines somehow have a way of finding their new steward.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your new vintage beauties. Congrats and enjoy!

Nothing came in a cabinet. The 237 is in the carrying case with the date stamped in it, so that solves that mystery. 1975. Smooth little machine. I wanted it because my daughter's MIL has one, and they may tag team some projects, and use mine too. The rest were topless and bottomless, but I have read Skip's box building directions, and am gathering materials for Christmas break. My husband was one of the nationally known Hostess drivers who has already found a new job closer to home, so our prayers on that were answered. A lot of folks thought he just drove for Holsum, and did not realize that they are the same company, so the stress level has been high here to say to least, but all is turning out nicely. The 500A was tight, but with a few drops of oil, is going to be amazing. It was used very little, according to the lack of bed scars. The Redeye from 1911 is a candidate for a repaint and rewire, but it sews a pretty stitch when turned by hand. Can't wait to get started. I will post pics as I can. I will attach pic from the ad for the 201. My daughter will bring it to me this weekend. You all have been bringing in pretties too. I just have been lurking and reading, but had to share such a week.Name:  201.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  54.6 KB
    Melinda

It looks like you got some goodies as well. Nice!! It's good to hear that your DH found work so quickly....God is good!

Nothing came in a cabinet. The 237 is in the carrying case with the date stamped in it, so that solves that mystery. 1975. Smooth little machine. I wanted it because my daughter's MIL has one, and they may tag team some projects, and use mine too. The rest were topless and bottomless, but I have read Skip's box building directions, and am gathering materials for Christmas break. My husband was one of the nationally known Hostess drivers who has already found a new job closer to home, so our prayers on that were answered. A lot of folks thought he just drove for Holsum, and did not realize that they are the same company, so the stress level has been high here to say to least, but all is turning out nicely. The 500A was tight, but with a few drops of oil, is going to be amazing. It was used very little, according to the lack of bed scars. The Redeye from 1911 is a candidate for a repaint and rewire, but it sews a pretty stitch when turned by hand. Can't wait to get started. I will post pics as I can. I will attach pic from the ad for the 201. My daughter will bring it to me this weekend. You all have been bringing in pretties too. I just have been lurking and reading, but had to share such a week.Name:  201.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  54.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Checking in! The kids found an apartment, so just need to move the rest of their stuff out and I will get my sewing room back! WOOHOO!!! That'll hopefully happen tonight!

No new machines...have been making myself stay off of Craigs List and out of the second hand stores! LOL!

Did get a new car tho...purdy bright red 2011 Impala...really a nice car, and I do believe the trunk is big enough for a sewing machine!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Wow Thats awesome Melinda, doing a happy dance for ya. Ok curious about your desire for the 201?
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Checking in! The kids found an apartment, so just need to move the rest of their stuff out and I will get my sewing room back! WOOHOO!!! That'll hopefully happen tonight!

No new machines...have been making myself stay off of Craigs List and out of the second hand stores! LOL!

Did get a new car tho...purdy bright red 2011 Impala...really a nice car, and I do believe the trunk is big enough for a sewing machine!
    Wow Charlee, congratulations on the red Impala! It is so much fun to get a new vehicle! Now you need to take a junkin' trip! Just have fun!

Melinda, happy for you - a new job for hubby and all the new toys to play with!

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 12-14-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post

Wow another reason to doing the happy dace...kids moved out, you get your sewing rm back and a new car [ with a big trunk],....I am to old for all this dancing...lol. I know what you mean about the sewing machine diet, but i feel myself weakening.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Charlee, Yes, a junkin' trip on the way down to the TOGA on the 22nd.

Nancy, We can help teach her how to pack that Impala real well. Can't we?

Just enabling again,
    Cathy

Wow Charlee, congratulations on the red Impala! It is so much fun to get a new vehicle! Now you need to take a junkin' trip! Just have fun!

Melinda, happy for you - a new job for hubby and all the new toys to play with!

Nancy
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Charlee, Yes, a junkin' trip on the way down to the TOGA on the 22nd.

Nancy, We can help teach her how to pack that Impala real well. Can't we?

Just enabling again,
    Cathy
    Ha - I have a Honda Fit - I had 5 machines in there the other day with room to spare - weight limit is 300 lbs. 3 machines for me and 2 for Joe. The mixer doesn't count.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
    Wow Thats awesome Melinda, doing a happy dance for ya. Ok curious about your desire for the 201?

I had read where folks just loved them (quiet and strong), and I thought I needed one. And there are not many that I want and don't have. I didn't actually mean to collect sewing machines, it just sort of happened, and it has really gotten crazy. With the four this week, I have almost 60, and am running out of room, but that is why I don't mind the no cabinet thing most of the time. The only one left on my wish list (for now anyway) is a red sewing machine. Not seen many, but some with red highlights, but I am sure I will find one eventually. It is a blessing/curse that people know I collect them, because most folks think I want every machine, or at least the one they want to get rid of, anyway. I don't have the heart to tell them it isn't worth much, but I usually smile and say thank you, and sew them a little project with it. For example, there was a run on Kenmores a little while back, and I got 3 in a week for under $10 for all. Actually paid for one, was gifted the other two. All the machines sew, just the people who had them didn't. A lot of the machines here, and I, are waiting for someone to come along and want to sew, and I will match the machines with the people.
    Melinda

I had read where folks just loved them (quiet and strong), and I thought I needed one. And there are not many that I want and don't have. I didn't actually mean to collect sewing machines, it just sort of happened, and it has really gotten crazy. With the four this week, I have almost 60, and am running out of room, but that is why I don't mind the no cabinet thing most of the time. The only one left on my wish list (for now anyway) is a red sewing machine. Not seen many, but some with red highlights, but I am sure I will find one eventually. It is a blessing/curse that people know I collect them, because most folks think I want every machine, or at least the one they want to get rid of, anyway. I don't have the heart to tell them it isn't worth much, but I usually smile and say thank you, and sew them a little project with it. For example, there was a run on Kenmores a little while back, and I got 3 in a week for under $10 for all. Actually paid for one, was gifted the other two. All the machines sew, just the people who had them didn't. A lot of the machines here, and I, are waiting for someone to come along and want to sew, and I will match the machines with the people.
    Oh my Melinda, Sixty? I hope your house is structurally sound for all of that weight. I'm glad to hear that you are matching machines to people. I only have 13 machines right now, so I don't feel so bad. How about some pictures?
    ~G~