Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 AM

[quote=Lostn51.......popularity and the 500A is probably the best machine Singer ever made. That machine will hang with any of the new Bernina's and I would set it next to the new 830 and put it to shame with the 500A. Remember it was a one year production machine (1962) and it was well ahead of its time.

Billy[/quote]

Billy, you have probably sent me on a new mission with this statement!! I think the 500a's are just so cute, and now I am on the lookout!! :-)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM

I got it.. I got it!! :) Look at my new baby.. just won on Ebay. :) Paid $60. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198331.jpe   attachment-198344.jpe   attachment-198345.jpe  
Old 05-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I got it.. I got it!! :) Look at my new baby.. just won on Ebay. :) Paid $60. :)
You did good. That is a nice looking machine. Kathie
Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 PM

I bought a singer featherweight 221 had it repaired and it sews great but the bobbin does not wind on good had the bobbin winder replaced because the old one broke off the bobbin just does not fill right goes all to one side of bobbin any one can tell me what to do thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Okay, all my "know it all" friends!! I have a featherweight that I have pieced quilts on, but now it seems the bobbin shuttle(?) goes all the way around. Shouldn't it go one way for a bit and then back a bit or is it supposed to go all the way around?? The bobbin won't seat itself and therefore won't sew. I can't think of a thing I've done, other that remove the bobbin to rewind it. I'm stumped.
I'm wondering if I should tip it up on end to get a good look. I need to get a place in the garage to work on a few machines, but hubby is not loosening his grip!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Well that Okiepastor is one lucky lady. We brought home a bentwood that she couldn't get open. Inside is a 99 Blackside. It does have a silver faceplate-if anyone has a black faceplate, please let her know.
Tommie
Posting before pics for okiepastor. You can actually see the Singer name on the head, just doesn't show here.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198372.jpe   attachment-198373.jpe  
Old 05-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Okay, all my "know it all" friends!! I have a featherweight that I have pieced quilts on, but now it seems the bobbin shuttle(?) goes all the way around. Shouldn't it go one way for a bit and then back a bit or is it supposed to go all the way around?? The bobbin won't seat itself and therefore won't sew. I can't think of a thing I've done, other that remove the bobbin to rewind it. I'm stumped.
I'm wondering if I should tip it up on end to get a good look. I need to get a place in the garage to work on a few machines, but hubby is not loosening his grip!
Randa, I know what you mean. I have a great FW and sewed on it for almost a year. When I took out the bobbin assembly I have never been able to get it to seat itself again. Therefore, I haven't been able to sew on it or take it with me when I visit my GK who love to sew on it.

:-(
Old 05-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sew wishful
check out page 8 or 9 in the operator manual
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/singfea.pdf

Figure 12 look at B2 and A2
Then on the next page there is a "CAUTION: If the throat plate is removed for cleaning the stitch forming mechanism, etc., make certain when replacing the throat plate that the position finger (A2) enters the notch (B2) of the position plate attached to the under side of the throat plate."

those old manuals have a lot of info - it might pay to check in there
Old 05-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Boy off the computer last week and took me 3 days to catch up on about 20 pages of postings. Great machines showing up.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 PM

quilter711, another member had the problem with gray coated wiring recently. I think the consensus was you can just clean it off. I hope a FW person confirms this for you. purplemen is FW knowledgeable.The posts concerning this have been in the last 60 pages, I think, but I couldn't find it in a quick run through.