Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-23-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The meeting is coming up, beginning of June. I would love to meet up with you too.
Thanks for the heads up on the meeting. Do you know when? Kathie[/quote]

June 4th. It would be a blast meeting up with those in N. CA area that post here on this board too. The Treadlon group is the GoldCountryTOGA.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Yes the finger was out of the notch. I took off one of the little square things to move the finger back in place and it works just fine now! Miriam was such a big help. I knew I'd have to remove something...there was no way it could go back in. Now I'd like to know how on earth it came out.
Randa, I am glad you got your FW straightened out!

Now, there is still someone on here with a FW that won't pick up the bobbin thread - Trish is that you? Anyway, it is probably the needle that is inserted wrong or threaded wrong. Take your needle out and put in a new needle with the flat side to the left - the same way your throat plate looks with the flat side on the left! Thread the needle from right to left - inside to outside if that is easier to remember.

Nancy
It is SewExtreme....I'm waiting for her to post pictures. Sounds like my problem, but she doesn't think it is.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I feel very sorry for those that learned to sew on a Singer 758 Touch and Sew. These machines are a piece of crap, at least the free one that my neighbor gave me the other day is. I got it to sew after a long time of playing with it, then I tested to see if the bobbin worked and after that I can't for the life of me get the tension correct now. I took it apart, cleaned it, looked for any stray thread that had gotten under the bobbin area, oiled it, and even took the top plate off and checked the upper tension mechanism. I feel so sorry for my neighbor since she doesn't sew, and she was using this dang piece of s.... to teach her daughter how to sew. And this was a machine that she picked up for free from a friend's mom that had been a seamstress. Makes me wonder if the seamstress ever used this machine. I wouldn't, but then I learned to sew on a Necchi Supernova. Eeks, I want to Touch and Throw this machine; not sew with it. Sorry for the rant.

So, for all of those that learned to sew on one of these s..... pieces of machinery, please treat yourself to a Featherweight or 201- those are excellent machines. Ok, I'm done for the night.
The bobbin itself could be the problem. I hate those Torch & Throw machines too. But the bobbins get nicked up or warped or what ever - try a brand new bobbin in there and see if it works. The 600's weren't too bad if you can get the bobbin to work. After that they used plastic. Best to stick with 500s or older - they were all metal and they work just fine. Before you throw out the Torch and Throw, save the parts... LOL They work on the 4 & 500 series - well, some do...
Hi Everyone, My DH brought in this machine in today..one of his golfing buddies gave it to me. It came with the accessories/manual and 16 cams :-D :-D After reading the problems with the Touch and Sew 758.. I'm wondering if I'm going to have a problem with the bobbin winder. The button that has to move to the left to engage the winder doesn't move to the left. All it does is just wiggle and I'm afraid to push too hard..I don't want to break it. Is there anyone here that is knows more about this bobbin winder? I haven't checked it out yet or tried to wind a bobbin...maybe I should first. I will do that now. Anne
Attached Thumbnails attachment-201370.jpe   attachment-201371.jpe  
Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Oil the thing up good and see what happens.

If all else fails, it has good top hats, throat plate, bobbin slide plate, motor & it has a good zig zag foot etc. Some of those parts will work on a 401, 403, 500 or 503 or maybe some of it will go on a 301...
The body of it probably has some aluminum in it and you probably can sell the manual on ebay...
I never did like those... does it show?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Yes the finger was out of the notch. I took off one of the little square things to move the finger back in place and it works just fine now! Miriam was such a big help. I knew I'd have to remove something...there was no way it could go back in. Now I'd like to know how on earth it came out.
Randa, I am glad you got your FW straightened out!

Now, there is still someone on here with a FW that won't pick up the bobbin thread - Trish is that you? Anyway, it is probably the needle that is inserted wrong or threaded wrong. Take your needle out and put in a new needle with the flat side to the left - the same way your throat plate looks with the flat side on the left! Thread the needle from right to left - inside to outside if that is easier to remember.

Nancy
No Nancy it's not me this time.

Also want to say I hope all of our families are doing ok in all the storm areas. It looks so bad on the TV.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Irish Rose, or anyone near that might be interested. I was in Mt Pleasant today and found a Singer, sn AG519468 in great shape, with cabinet and knee control, sew stool with storage. in the stool was singer button hole maker and box of attachments. machine was in working order. im looking for a treadle cabinet and could not afford this one, so i left her there. BOO HOO! also saw a davis vf in a quilt shop, but it was not for sale, so i just salivated over it. dh couldnt belive i came home without buying a single thing. LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Anyone know where I can get a good hand crank machine? That's the last machine I *really* want, so I can sit downstairs and sew with the family.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM

Ok, so here is a photo of my first HC. I know that most of you have a much nicer and stronger maching but a girls got to start some where.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-201420.jpe  
Old 05-23-2011, 04:11 PM

buslady, Are you what's known as an enabler? That would be a 1945 model 66. What kind of price was on the machine? Repeat after me, "You do not need another sewing machine." H-m-m, didn't work.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Ok, so here is a photo of my first HC. I know that most of you have a much nicer and stronger maching but a girls got to start some where.
Oh, this is just too cute.....now I think I may "NEED" one...... :lol: