Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1640 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 640 1140 1540 1590 1630 1639 1640 1641 1650 1690 1740 ... LastLast
Results 40,976 to 41,000 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    A hammer won't help at all - probably bend the shaft or break something. I have had them soaking in T-F for months. Every once in a while I shoot them up again...
    I shoot up all the moving parts, too - something must be getting missed. There is very limited access to some of them.
    Most of the knobs now work - probably all but one on each machine.
    Be glad you only have a tension to deal with.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Miriam,

The hammer comment was a joke ..... you know, HA HA, that kind of comment. Although the one with the cranky top tension was darn close to meeting with Mr. Hammer at one point.

Blue Clone with the smoke and squeal. Could there be thread wrapped around the shafts behind the face plate? I've dug lots of thread out and that would and could cause trouble.

Just a thought.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Miriam,

The hammer comment was a joke ..... you know, HA HA, that kind of comment. Although the one with the cranky top tension was darn close to meeting with Mr. Hammer at one point.

Blue Clone with the smoke and squeal. Could there be thread wrapped around the shafts behind the face plate? I've dug lots of thread out and that would and could cause trouble.

Just a thought.

Joe
    Joe This one does not have good access to know if there is thread - there is rust

Blog Entries
    Happy Easter to all! I awoke to sunny weather this morning, not a cloud in the sky. The weather forecast earlier this week was for rain on Sunday. Last night there were thunderstorms; so, I presumed that it would be raining this morning. I'm sharing with you my wisteria that are right now blooming in my garden, a bit of spring for those that still have winter.
    Name:  IMG_4735.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  997.1 KB

May your day be filled with fun, either tinkering with the vintage machines or sewing pretty quilts for someone to cuddle under. A prayer goes out to all, those present and those no longer with us. Peace

I noticed that you can't get that lamp anymore. The one I have is the clamp on one like it. The light is great - the switch is garbage and the clamp is a PITB.[/QUOTE]

OH NO! I love that lamp! I should have bought more than two! I'll keep an eye out at my local IKEA and see if it comes back into stock.........Laura

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Joe This one does not have good access to know if there is thread - there is rust
    Miriam,

Can you get Phil to take a pic of this machine as you are using it and it smoking so I can get a better idea of what you are fighting with?

Joe

[QUOTE=miriam;5966566]WORK LIGHT

Miriam,
    Dh swears by headlights, he is an electrician and works for AT&T, does most of his work after dark. There are a few types that are adjustable.
    Sharon

The led work light is still on the IKEA website for $9.99.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the beautiful wisteria photo. Unfortunately, it doesn't grow this far south in FL. It will grow in the upper third of the state but I have never seen it there as gorgeous as yours. I miss it still, even after living in central FL for more than 45 years. Just wish that I could smell it too. We had some on one side of our porch in Indy. I still remember sitting on the porch swing and enjoying the fragrance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231 View Post
    The led work light is still on the IKEA website for $9.99.
    The store nearest me 125 miles away does not stock it. I'm thinking mail order.

Wow Steve. Fantastic looking machine in such good condition!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5970085
    Great find. It looks even better in your pictures!
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Ditto that!!! I can't believe my eyes. That may be the most beautiful machine I have ever seen...at least a photo of but not up close and personal. Thanks for sharing.
    Donna
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Wow Steve. Fantastic looking machine in such good condition!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5970085
    Great find. It looks even better in your pictures!
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Steve, That's a gorgeous machine!! Stunning!!

Steve, Nice job on the machine you call Sandy too.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5970111
    ~G~

Steve, Nice job on the machine you call Sandy too.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5970111
    ~G~
    Thanks, I was hoping others would post "progress" pictures of their "un-savable" machines as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Thanks, I was hoping others would post "progress" pictures of their "un-savable" machines as well.
    I have my current project on there but it is going slow and I am getting married next week. I have been a little busy with other things so, it may not be done until after then. I will post updated photos of it there when I have something new to show you there.
    ~G~

Steve,
    Wow!! Your Frister & Rossmann is beautiful! Just stunning!
    Sharon

...I am getting married next week. I have been a little busy with other things so, it may not be done until after then. ~G~
    Boy, some folks will come up with the lamest excuses!!! Congrats! Totally worth the wait...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Boy, some folks will come up with the lamest excuses!!! Congrats! Totally worth the wait...
    Yea, it is lame. Sorry, that is NO excuse. I waited twenty years after my divorce to find the real, right one. Yup, Worth the wait. But I did get done with a Japanese ZZ machine today. It was giving me fits and had a gremlin in it. I always put in a brand new needle when I get a machine. I did that with this one too. It was a defective needle that must have been bent slightly. I couldn't figure out why it was skipping stitches. Bad needle. So my Stitchmaster is done but it does not qualify. Doh......
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Steve, I am really regretting that I didn't go for that F & R machine! What a beauty! But, I am glad you are the new steward of that machine.

Laura, nice looking Necchi!

I have not had time to visit a lot lately. Too busy with the care of my FIL. But, on an almost good note I bought another FW today. I shouldn't have bought it, but I felt sorry for the poor machine! It is a 1938 with the scroll face plate, case, attachments, bobbins, new foot controller and wiring, but someone either shipped the machine or just dropped it because the bobbin winder is broken off along with part of the hand wheel. It was really dumb of me to buy it - I paid $125. I figured the foot controller, plug, case, attachments, etc., were worth that much. I say 'I' shouldn't have bought it because it is going to bug me that it looks nasty with the broken HW/missing bobbin winder! I am hopeless! I don't think it would even be a candidate for a re-paint because part of the 'body' is missing!

On a good note, the missing bobbin winder/broken chipped off HW section doesn't affect its running ability . . . . . . just looks ugly. Why did I buy it????? I will post photos as soon as I can!

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 04-01-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Steve, I am really regretting that I didn't go for that F & R machine! What a beauty! But, I am glad you are the new steward of that machine.Nancy
    Nancy, thanks. I'm glad too! hehe The decals are what needlebar refers to as "Red Lillies"

I am now practicing my "japanning" with a purpose.... when I have the skill, I will patch up the black areas. Luckily there does not seem to be much of any damage to the decals.

Pre-Post teaser....

In addition to making a few slide plates, I will be taking some pictures tonight of the beginnings of our MOP tests.

I purchased a batch of (25) 1/2" x 1/2" blanks of Mother of Pearl from a local inlay supplier.
    I have designed 5 shapes, Sun, Flower, Compass Rose, Leaf, and Butterfly to be able to cut at that size.

Name:  MOP Designs.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  87.0 KB

Tonight my DD and I will be doing the cutting using our jewelers saws.

Tomorrow we glue them down to a test base, and start painting and painting followed by sanding and sanding.

(Fingers crossed)
    Last edited by SteveH; 04-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have my current project on there but it is going slow and I am getting married next week. I have been a little busy with other things so, it may not be done until after then. I will post updated photos of it there when I have something new to show you there.
    ~G~
    Wow Grant, congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    ~G~
    Congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Wow Grant, congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Nancy
    Nancy and Miriam, Thank you.
    ~G~