Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

The mechanical problem is that when I disengage the motor to wind a bobbin, the needle bar still runs most of the time, especially at full speed. Is that an issue with the washer behind the middle part of the wheel or something else? Yup you got it - flip it over - I think there must be different ways the dumb things can go - then when you do get it all lined up it slides out so you have to fiddle with it - think of all the money you are saving by not paying someone in a shop to fiddle with it...

As far as stitching, I *think* I've got two problems going on at once. First is that I suspect my bobbin case is worn out. When I insert it, it immediately flops over instead of the arm staying right at the notch. Am I correct in thinking that once the case is clicked into place, it should stay put rather than rotate?? Does it actually click into place - some of them have to get pushed on pretty good so seat right. If it goes in it probably is the right one. What about your bobbin - does it fit right? Is it the right bobbin? I can see that if the bobbin is a hair too big - it won't go all the way in. You cleaned the lint out of the bobbin case didn't you? Maybe something in the shuttle race?

My second problem is thread nests which I know is usually an upper tension issue. When I watch the shuttle during stitching, I can see the upper thread get caught on the bobbin case and wad up. I hope that once I get the loose bobbin case figured out, the thread nests will resolve or only require some tension adjusting. Does that sound plausible? Don't do anything about this until you get the other problem fixed. I just fixed up a 319 that was making some doozy loops - it was the little finger holding the shuttle too tight - thread couldn't pass through. I knew the upper tension was right and the bobbin tension was right so I started looking for burrs and that was what I noticed.

Maybe somebody smarter than me knows something I don't.... anybody else got ideas on this one?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 PM

One more thing on the hand wheel not disengaging; make sure all the old oil is gone from the shaft as well as the inside of the wheel and check for burrs or dents as you clean it. Any gummed up oil will act as glue and the wheel cannot free wheel. Lightly oil it with sewing machine oil. That won't gum up as regular oil does.

Bobbin problems. A Mdl 15 should use a standard bobbin case so it will stay put if it's in all the way and locked. Make sure it's clean and lightly oiled too.

Now, I don't know the correct part names so please bear with me.
On the oscillating part that is fixed to the shaft there is an arched section with a spring on it. This spring cushions the hook part I believe. On one of the machines we had the spring had somehow gotten bent and was interfering with the hook. I had to remove it, straighten it and reinstall it. This bent spring was affecting the tension and causing both bird nests and top thread breakage.
Just something else to check.

Joe
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9389465
This might be one nice machine - they only show just the table - look below - too bad Fort Wayne is so darn far...

There is one above for tonight - anybody else going to bid?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Here's an article on on furniture oils:

http://www.worthpoint.com/blog-entry...eid=156b1afb28

Does this mean I have to quit using Howard's Feed n Wax?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Yes, the 128 is a VS machine. I have one with Godzilla finish from late 40's, and it's electric. Your decals sound like La Vincedora, which was most common on that era 128s.
I went looking for that decal, and found a pic that looks like my machine.

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/decals/decal14/

Could be her sister, they are so similar, except for the handcrank. Wish mine was HC.

Last edited by Quilt Mom; 02-16-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The mechanical problem is that when I disengage the motor to wind a bobbin, the needle bar still runs most of the time, especially at full speed. Is that an issue with the washer behind the middle part of the wheel or something else? Yup you got it - flip it over - I think there must be different ways the dumb things can go - then when you do get it all lined up it slides out so you have to fiddle with it - think of all the money you are saving by not paying someone in a shop to fiddle with it...
OK, I have checked that it is in correctly, and according to the manual, it is. The studs are facing out, and I've made sure the little screw is to the right of one of them as mentioned in the manual. Can this part wear out enough to need replacing?

Here are pics of the front and back of the washer. You can see the wear on the back.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]312660[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]312661[/ATTACH]

As far as stitching, I *think* I've got two problems going on at once. First is that I suspect my bobbin case is worn out. When I insert it, it immediately flops over instead of the arm staying right at the notch. Am I correct in thinking that once the case is clicked into place, it should stay put rather than rotate?? Does it actually click into place - some of them have to get pushed on pretty good so seat right. If it goes in it probably is the right one. What about your bobbin - does it fit right? Is it the right bobbin? I can see that if the bobbin is a hair too big - it won't go all the way in. You cleaned the lint out of the bobbin case didn't you? Maybe something in the shuttle race?

I *think* the case is clicked in and that the bobbins are ok. I fiddled with it some more today and took some photos.The arm just does not seat in the notch above even though the center seems to be on correctly. So, as I see it, the potential issues could be a bent arm on the case, the wrong bobbin case, or a bent position plate (piece with notch).Perhaps even a wrong shuttle?Can anyone tell from these photos if any of these possibilities are the culprit?? I can take additional photos if that is at all helpful.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]312663[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]312664[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]312665[/ATTACH]

My second problem is thread nests which I know is usually an upper tension issue. When I watch the shuttle during stitching, I can see the upper thread get caught on the bobbin case and wad up. I hope that once I get the loose bobbin case figured out, the thread nests will resolve or only require some tension adjusting. Does that sound plausible? Don't do anything about this until you get the other problem fixed. I just fixed up a 319 that was making some doozy loops - it was the little finger holding the shuttle too tight - thread couldn't pass through. I knew the upper tension was right and the bobbin tension was right so I started looking for burrs and that was what I noticed.

Maybe somebody smarter than me knows something I don't.... anybody else got ideas on this one?
Right, good point. I really think fixing the bobbin case problem is my main issue, but I will also go back over everything with a careful eye.

Thank you!
Carrie
Attached Thumbnails img_2920.jpg   img_2921.jpg   img_2922.jpg   img_2923.jpg   img_2925.jpg  

Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 PM

Thank you for the tips! I did strip her down and clean everything, so I don't think it's an old oil issue, but I'll certainly check that area again!

I will also check the spring you're referring to. That was one part I did not really want to play with - looks too delicate. You can see it in my photos in the post above this one. Perhaps you can see if it looks ok?

Regards,
C.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
One more thing on the hand wheel not disengaging; make sure all the old oil is gone from the shaft as well as the inside of the wheel and check for burrs or dents as you clean it. Any gummed up oil will act as glue and the wheel cannot free wheel. Lightly oil it with sewing machine oil. That won't gum up as regular oil does.

Bobbin problems. A Mdl 15 should use a standard bobbin case so it will stay put if it's in all the way and locked. Make sure it's clean and lightly oiled too.

Now, I don't know the correct part names so please bear with me.
On the oscillating part that is fixed to the shaft there is an arched section with a spring on it. This spring cushions the hook part I believe. On one of the machines we had the spring had somehow gotten bent and was interfering with the hook. I had to remove it, straighten it and reinstall it. This bent spring was affecting the tension and causing both bird nests and top thread breakage.
Just something else to check.

Joe
Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 PM

Nancy,

In answer to your question treadles can differ in how they feel, some easy to treadle some harder. Tweaking the pivots in the treadle mechanism can sometimes help . Also the treadle wheel size and placement on the frame will affect the angle the belt comes into the machine, therefore making a difference in whether it rubs the machine casting or not. Clear as mud?

Cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Monica, why do you feel the regular treadle is easier than the straight leg? Why do you feel your 328 is easier to treadle now? Because of the belt or the treadle it self? I am curious as I have both types of treadles and I think the straight leg is way faster and smoother to treadle? Or maybe, it is just that the 15-88 that I have in the straight leg is just a faster machine?

Nancy
Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 PM

Carrie,

I just looked at your bobbin case picture and see two things:
>The latch looks like it's latched in right to me.
>That finger looks bent to me and my wife. I pulled out my extras and none of them are anywhere near pointing that far away. I don't know how in the world you could bend something like that, but I'd try another bobbin case.

Joe
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Carrie,

You are correct the stop motion washer is placed with the two prongs outward, but that still leaves two ways of placing it. If it doesn't work the way you have it now then flip it 180 degrees (still with the prongs outward).

The finger on your bobbin case does look bent. I believe I have some new ones if you need one.

Cathy