Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 PM

Nancy,

Several models of the Free-Westinghouse VS machines use the 15x1 needles. The rotary machines use the shorter CC needle. Then to completely confuse you i have a 3/4 sized Free-Westinghouse VS from 1920 that uses the longer 20x1 needle.

Cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
The information on the needles is very interesting too! According to ISMACs needle site, the Free Westinghouse uses a 15X1 needle, but the needle being shorter does not surprise me! Nancy
Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

In answer to your question treadles can differ in how they feel, some easy to treadle some harder. Tweaking the pivots in the treadle mechanism can sometimes help . Also the treadle wheel size and placement on the frame will affect the angle the belt comes into the machine, therefore making a difference in whether it rubs the machine casting or not. Clear as mud?

Cathy
Makes sense to me! I doubt I will be tweaking the pivots on the treadles. My husband likes to make the adjustments on the treadles, but he leaves the machines for me to play with.

That also explains why the leather belt started to fray faster when I changed the machine into the regular treadle.

So Nancy, Cathy came to the rescue. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish View Post
Save her go now omg...white featherweight!! $40.00

please http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/hsh/2853113763.html

I wish I knew someone in that area
OMG!!!! Wish one of our Board members who lives in the NY area would go buy her for me. I would gladly pay shipping to get her to MS!! Isn't Favorite Fabrics in NY? I wonder if it is still available or if the seller would ship?
Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 AM

A-ha! Thank you, Joe and Cathy! A new bobbin case will be my next purchase then.

I will also try flipping that washer.

Regards,
Carrie
Old 02-17-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

Several models of the Free-Westinghouse VS machines use the 15x1 needles. The rotary machines use the shorter CC needle. Then to completely confuse you i have a 3/4 sized Free-Westinghouse VS from 1920 that uses the longer 20x1 needle.

Cathy
I have to see the 3/4 sized Free Westinghouse! Is it gold too or decaled pretty? Yes, just when you think you have got this sewing machine stuff figured out - someone throws in a wrench! Geeze, if we are depending on the sites like ISMACS to figure out needle size - then there is the exception thrown in - only a person like you who has 25 + years experience with these machines would know about these things! How interesting!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-17-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Makes sense to me! I doubt I will be tweaking the pivots on the treadles. My husband likes to make the adjustments on the treadles, but he leaves the machines for me to play with.

That also explains why the leather belt started to fray faster when I changed the machine into the regular treadle.

So Nancy, Cathy came to the rescue. Thanks!
Yep, makes sense to me too. Luckily, I have not had to tweak any of my treadles! My Betty (Davis Vertical Feed) is by far the hardest/most work out to treadle. I think that is probably because I only use her to put bindings on Queen/King sized quilts, and because she has to 'walk' the quilt to sew!

Nancy
Old 02-17-2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Here's an article on on furniture oils:

http://www.worthpoint.com/blog-entry...eid=156b1afb28

Does this mean I have to quit using Howard's Feed n Wax?
Geeze, Charlee that is an interesting article. Reminds me of what Glenn says about the fact that the wood is dead and doesn't need feeding or something like that. Glenn, I'd like to see your observations on that article. Does that mean I have to quit using Liquid Gold on my cabinets - I love the way they shine when I use it?

Nancy
Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
Nancy, you are a doll. If you are going to see her Saturday that would work for me as you could bring them Saturday night. If not let me know and I will try to see her Sunday if she is home. God sure has blessed me with the best friends. Kathie
Yep, I can pick up some of the needles for you and bring them to Girls Night Out Saturday evening!

Nancy
Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 AM

Have any of you tried using metallic thread on your 401a's or a similar machine? Yesterday, I changed needles (to a metallic needle), re-threaded several times, put the metallic thread on a spool behind the machine so the thread could relax before it hit the thread guides, played with the tension, did everything I could think of to get my new 401a to accept the metallic thread! No go - I spent an hour going 5 inches, cutting the bobbin thread off every 1/2" or so when it jammed, removing the slide plate, cleaning the bobbin area, re-threading the bobbin - everything I could think of! I would sew a 1/2 inch or so then it jammed up - had to cut the bobbin thread off underneath due to a huge mess. I switched to a 50 weight DMC thread and didn't have any issues at all? I really wanted to use metallic thread on a little Patchability I was doing!

Nancy
Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Geeze, Charlee that is an interesting article. Reminds me of what Glenn says about the fact that the wood is dead and doesn't need feeding or something like that. Glenn, I'd like to see your observations on that article. Does that mean I have to quit using Liquid Gold on my cabinets - I love the way they shine when I use it?

Nancy
I tried to edit the post to add that our Glenn has been telling us this for a long time, but my computer was acting up!