Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 AM

I've never seen an older Brother like this before. Have you?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...795792283.html
Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Well I had to do it, curiosity won out.
I grew up learning to sew on a Necchi Supernova. Since I know how that machine works, I told myself that my focus will be on collecting machines that I have never experienced. Well, the Supernova won. I'm treadling a Necchi Supernova Ultra. I figured a way around the bobbin cover issue and treadling belt -Sebastian helps.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]308298[/ATTACH]

Cool, Monica!!! You are a very inventive lady! Have fun on your new girl...
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins View Post

I've never seen one in the wild, but I've seen photos...looks like a nice machine, and not a bad price.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post
I'm very close to finishing the restoration of the Raymond, I will post before and after when I am done. In the mean time I can say I am the proud owner of a Singer for the first time in my life! It's either a 127 or 128 I posted pics in the photo area. Just needs a little cleaning up and she'll be running in no time. Not sure about the whole hand crank, never done it, what do you all think of hand crank sewing?

Hollyann, I converted a 99 from electric to handcrank, and I am very happy with it. It is not hard at all to guide the fabric with one hand, and it does sew rather fast for being a hand operated machine. I haven't sewed a lot on it yet, but when we start going camping again I know I will be taking it with me.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Hmmmm. My 128 is a 3/4 size machine.

Mine too. That's why I got it...for my DGD to sew on.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I did one like that too... it had a bent balance wheel shaft - it still HC nicely. I was even able to flat fell a seam on it
Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Nancy, please correct me if I'm wrong...weren't both the 28 and 128 3/4 size machines? (The 27 and 127 full size?) Holly has the 128, evidenced by the "high" bobbin winder....or that's what I thought.

And yes, you're right...I sometimes forget which thread I'm in...I apologize for the comments I left over there in the photos only thread!
Of course you are right Charlee, YES the 28 and 128 are both 3/4 size machines, the only different is the bobbin winder placement. The 28 has a low bobbin winder, the 128 is high next to the wheel. But I think Cathy said there are a couple other little differences too! Sorry, I should get my cappaccino before I type - yikes - foot in mouth!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-03-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins View Post

Beanie, that machine looks to me like a Japanese clone, or if I want to be polictically correct a Japanese model 15. I bet it is a machine made sometime after the late 1940's when the war was over to the early 1960's? Those clones had all kinds of names on them. I am not even sure it is actually a Brother from that company? Anyone know when the actual Brother company started?

Nancy
Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 AM

According to: http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...achines.htm#14 I have a 128 (the base is just over 12"). Bobbin is high at the wheel and two apposing slide plates. She's pretty cute! I cleaned the head and feed dogs this morning a little oil and the ole girl is moving pretty smoothly. Tonight I will clean the wheel area and see what she can do!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Monica Wow! So does this mean the 328 is no longer a treadle? I have to admit I really like the Necchi as a treadle! How does she feel when treadling and are there any issues with the zig zag? It looks good on your sample!
I love the looks of this machine and the color!

Nancy
As a gentleman would do, Hank the Tank that ugly colored Singer 328k that served me well was kind enough to give up his seat for pretty lady. Eunice, the Necchi Supernova Ultra, does look lovely sitting in that straight-leg treadle. I'm keeping Hank with honor. He will sit next to the Cowboy, National Two Spools, on my shelf, and the two of them can do as most men do-watch in admiration. Eunice treadles very nicely; and true to a Necchi, she is quiet and SWEET.

As a kid, I never got to use the decorative stitching cams on my mother's Necchi Supernova. So now, I'm looking forward to exploring this area of the machine and using the decorative stitches in my quilts.

As I have stated many times before, these vintage ladies and gents do have a way of finding their new steward.
This one sat patiently waiting for me.

The most interesting element in obtaining this machine is a feeling of completeness has enveloped me. And with that proclamation, I'm off to quilt.

Last edited by vintagemotif; 02-03-2012 at 01:09 PM.