Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 PM

Miriam, I will be praying for you and your family.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 PM

Cathy, Thanks for fixing my machines tonight!!!
While I was testing the darning spring tonight, Cathy was tweaking my machines.
She's good, really good!!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Can I post pictures here? How? (Simple steps, short sentences, I am not a tech girl!)
Hit post reply,
see the bar with all the pictures on top,
click the one with the tree,
new box comes up, click on from computer,
click browse, find image and click on image and click on open,
click on upload image.

The rewarding part of this site is that photos can be seen with messages instead of having to go into another file.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Cathy, Thanks for fixing my machines tonight!!!
While I was testing the darning spring tonight, Cathy was tweaking my machines.
She's good, really good!!!!!
I need to take a Ray White class!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MistyK View Post
Got the throat plate off. It was really tight but bigger screws. Used the liquid wrench but nothing so far. I am letting it set for now and soak. Thanks for the info on the socket and box wrench. I will be trying those. You are right, the space is almost nonexsistant for a tool. I will look around and see what other tools I have that might be adapted to fit. I still think they used a torque wrench (new word for me that my brother taught me ) to put those screws in and tighten. BTW did you steal the ground screw driver or just inherit it?
The long, thin, really nice screw driver was one an old sewing machine repair man gave me. He ground it at a slight angle. It worked wonderfully. Someone broke in a couple years ago and stole all my bright orange sewing machine repair tool box with a bunch of parts and tools - the parts and that screw driver made me the mad. You can't use that stuff on anything else. I have a screw driver that would be good to grind at a slight angle but no grinder. I should find a grinder, I guess. A straight screw driver just does not work the same as that one on the angle. Oh and I got much better tools after that. DH took me seriously and helped me get some better tools. I had been using cast off tools before that. Good tools do make a difference. We should start something on tools. Maybe when I get a screw driver ground at an angle. You almost do need a torque wrench or Locktite to get those screws tight enough that they won't come undone while you sew Misty. If those feed dogs come flying off while you are sewing and you don't catch on it can be pretty interesting. Ask me how I know............. Try a little heat - blow dryer, rice sock, sun, car on a hot day... Put the machine on its side then try soaking with liquid wrench, turn it over and do it again.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

I need to take a Ray White class!
I'm taking his class in May - I can hardly wait.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Here's my latest addition. It's a New Home made by Janome in Taiwan. It's model #352 and I couldn't find much info. on the net about it. It's a class 15 type. I was gifted this machine as I'm sure the owner couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I've spent over 2 hours on it cleaning, oiling and refurbishing. It needed light repair, the tension assembly had to be broken down and fixed and the bobbin case was broken. Luckily, I have another class 15 bobbin case I could use. It makes a nice straight stitch now and is fast little machine.
Candace, cute little New Home!

Nancy
Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I picked up a Cinderella sewing machine on my wonderings yesterday. It is in a smelly, miserable, little case. It is missing the slide plate for the bobbin and motor belt. The machine is very small, light weight - seems to be a couple pieces of metal put together. The nose, bobbin and throat plate seems to be the same as a Japanese 15 clone - it is smaller than 3/4 size. I need to take it to the shop and clean it up. I've been full speed working or dealing with some very serious family issues of late. Keep us in your prayers, it ain't over until the fat lady sings.
Miriam our prayers are all with you! When the fat lady does sing, please post a photo of your Cinderella! Those little machines are so cool looking!

Nancy
Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 AM

I find that interesting too. From looking at the cabinet, one would think it would hold just the machine and not box and machine. Clever design that some person came up with. I was going to say some man, but I prefer to think it was a woman!!!
Monica, Cathy and all do you remember my little 28? It sits in a cabinet the same way Cathy's machine sits in that desk/cabinet - with the case still attached to the bottom. You can use that machine either as a hand crank or a treadle.

Nancy
Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
If you and Nancy want to go...let me know. I would just be a looky loo though and I don't want to waste his time. But, I know you and Nancy have the big bucks, so I could tag along guilt free:>:>:>
Candace you are so funny! It would be fun, though, for the 3 of us - and anyone else who wants to join - to do the road trip and have lunch out!

Nancy