Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-24-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
What's that quote? "It's easier to beg forgiveness than to obtain permission"!!!
Ok Charlee I know what you are saying....You are so bad!!! I am trying to be good, I don't want any nasty PM's
Old 03-24-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
No, not a Sunbonnet Sue or Sam. It is a star top which I am gooogling to try to find out which pattern the original quilter used. She did it by hand but I'm "gonna not really quilt and use my machine" to finish up some piecing. The remark in quotes was from a gal yesterday who said I didn't really quilt because I used a machine from start to finish and she wanted to really learn how to quilt from someone who does it the right way. Man, the lady can't even quilt and she's quilt policing already. Good thing I had my company manners on yesterday.
FYI: Just found the name. It is the LeMoyne star done in a light blue outer with plain muslin and a small pattern for the star poiints. I will be adding color, probably another blue for the border.
That's like saying that a yellow rose isn't a rose because it's not red... Phhhhhffffftttt!!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Ok Charlee I know what you are saying....You are so bad!!! I am trying to be good, I don't want any nasty PM's
I don't think ANYONE would send you a nasty PM Skipper!!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
That's like saying that a yellow rose isn't a rose because it's not red... Phhhhhffffftttt!!!!
She is clueless about a lot of things and I just chalked this up as another clueless idiot remark. As I said, had mt company manners on or I would have said something back to her but I bit my tongue a lot with her and doubt that I'll go anywhere with her again.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
FYI: Just found the name. It is the LeMoyne star done in a light blue outer with plain muslin and a small pattern for the star poiints. I will be adding color, probably another blue for the border.
Can't wait to see a picture. I've always liked the LeMoyne star pattern.

I was kept from adding a clean Singer 127 in a straight leg treadle and yet another 99k in a cabinet to my hoard...er...collection by a more enthusiastic bidder at an auction today. The prices weren't unreasonable, but I couldn't justify bringing more home when I have so many in line for attention. I did, however, pick up a Singer 329k at a yard sale. It's been unloved for some time, pretty dirty, but it isn't frozen. I was surprised when I picked it up--it has an aluminum body. I haven't found a whole lot out about it, just a basic 1960s straight stitch portable machine.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:01 PM

I have been sewing on my 27 I just cleaned, not making anything but sewing scraps to see what it can do. It sews very nice straight stitch and the tension is good. Even tho it is a VS there is not much different to sew with than the 66. This 27 is very quiet but still has the shuttle song. Does anyone else have any experience with a 27 Singer. I think my Vs2 Singer sews better than this one.

Skipper
Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 PM

Default Need some pictures of part of a Minnesota Mdl ~B~

OK, might I impose on you wonderful people who own a Minnesota Model ~B~ sewing machine?

I'm nearly to the point of finishing the cleaning of the one I have. I'm working on the underside right now and I noticed a broken spring just beneath the shuttle carrier at the front cross member. There are two small screws and only part of the spring or wire guide that used to be there.

Could someone take a clear picture of this part of their machine and post it so I can replicate that part?

Before I started cleaning I broke the only OEM needle I had and as I was cleaning I found the remains of another broken needle. So I'm thinking there's something amiss there.

Query, The Minnesota ~B~ uses the Davis long needle. More like an arrow than a needle. The needle bar is held in place by two screws, easily accessible. If I were reset the needle bar to the proper position to use 15x1 needles, would I run into other problems as well?

My Singer 9W-7 is altered to use 15x1s and works fine.
Was thinking of doing it for this old machine and hoping it would work.

Joe
Old 03-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Forgot I had one more thing to share from the little auction I went to today. I thought it was an interesting "family tree" wall hanging with hexagons. It was taken down by the family before the auction began, but I had to have a picture to share. This would be a neat project done in recycled clothing of family members, with little photos in the center hexagons, signatures, or whatever else.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]322373[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails family-tree-quilt.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
OK, might I impose on you wonderful people who own a Minnesota Model ~B~ sewing machine?

I'm nearly to the point of finishing the cleaning of the one I have. I'm working on the underside right now and I noticed a broken spring just beneath the shuttle carrier at the front cross member. There are two small screws and only part of the spring or wire guide that used to be there.

Could someone take a clear picture of this part of their machine and post it so I can replicate that part?

Before I started cleaning I broke the only OEM needle I had and as I was cleaning I found the remains of another broken needle. So I'm thinking there's something amiss there.

Query, The Minnesota ~B~ uses the Davis long needle. More like an arrow than a needle. The needle bar is held in place by two screws, easily accessible. If I were reset the needle bar to the proper position to use 15x1 needles, would I run into other problems as well?

My Singer 9W-7 is altered to use 15x1s and works fine.
Was thinking of doing it for this old machine and hoping it would work.

Joe
Hi Joe,
Don't have a Minnesota B but I noticed that the Needlebar, if your a member, has some good pictures under Davis in the photogallery. On my Davis Min "A" all this spring does is return the feed dogs to down at the end of the "stroke". A cam raises the dogs at the beginning. One end of the spring is attached to a screw and the other end goes thru a small hole in the bar that the feed dogs are attached to.
Needles are obtained easily and cheaply enough to make modifying your "B" not really necessary. Boye 10's are the easiest to use but fairly expensive unless you find a bargain. MTx190 is a common industrial needle so they have to be aligned but are inexpensive. These needles are also good for some of the Vertical Feeds if you have or add any down the road to your collection.
Good Luck
Jon
Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
Actually, the japan finish is the black underneath (contains asphaltum). I actually found a recipe for re-japanning old tools! (Note: this is just FYI, NOT recommending trying this on sewing machines.)

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_117.shtml

pat
Very interesting article! Thank you