Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 AM

Glenn I'm am so looking forward to your tutorial on this, how very exciting!
Old 03-25-2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I have been sewing on my 27 I just cleaned, not making anything but sewing scraps to see what it can do. It sews very nice straight stitch and the tension is good. Even tho it is a VS there is not much different to sew with than the 66. This 27 is very quiet but still has the shuttle song. Does anyone else have any experience with a 27 Singer. I think my Vs2 Singer sews better than this one.

Skipper
Ok Skip, I won't send you a nasty PM, but you better NOT hold out on us again!

Yes, I have a Singer 127 that I use to hem all my jeans and my DIL's jeans. That machine will go through that flat felt seam - doubled - like butter. It amazes me - it never skips a stitch or jumps off the seam - just a great old treadle! It is a 1913 machine, and it was my second treadle. I got him right after getting my 27 with the Pheasant decals from 1901. I also have a VS2, but 'Bessie' is not in her treadle as her treadle is in line for a do over - so I have not sewn with Bessie except on the kitchen counter just to see that she will form a stitch!

Nancy
Old 03-25-2012, 05:17 AM

It looks like someone had fun painting this machine and cabinet!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/fuo/2913453965.html

Nancy
Old 03-25-2012, 05:19 AM

I wish I had room for this one - reasonably priced and such a cute cabinet! I love the cabinets with the maker's name on them! Look at that middle drawer! So cute! Also, the foot pedal!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2918089380.html

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-25-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi Joe,
Don't have a Minnesota B but I noticed that the Needlebar, if your a member, has some good pictures under Davis in the photogallery. On my Davis Min "A" all this spring does is return the feed dogs to down at the end of the "stroke". A cam raises the dogs at the beginning. One end of the spring is attached to a screw and the other end goes thru a small hole in the bar that the feed dogs are attached to.
Needles are obtained easily and cheaply enough to make modifying your "B" not really necessary. Boye 10's are the easiest to use but fairly expensive unless you find a bargain. MTx190 is a common industrial needle so they have to be aligned but are inexpensive. These needles are also good for some of the Vertical Feeds if you have or add any down the road to your collection.
Good Luck
Jon
Jon,

Not a member over at Needlebar.

My machine does have the little spring you just described. It is complete and functional. But also a more stout wire or spring inboard of that one that did something. I'll take a pic of mine I guess and post it.

I have some of the MTx190s thanks to Mizkaki (Sorry Cathy I know I didn't spell that right.) But I got them after I'd started the cleaning process and haven't had any chance to try them out yet.

Joe
Old 03-25-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Jon,

My machine does have the little spring you just described. It is complete and functional. But also a more stout wire or spring inboard of that one that did something. I'll take a pic of mine I guess and post it.

I have some of the MTx190s thanks to Mizkaki (Sorry Cathy I know I didn't spell that right.) But I got them after I'd started the cleaning process and haven't had any chance to try them out yet.

Joe
I see it, it's called a "needle guard". looks like it can be made easily enough or a donor Davis machine shouldn't be too tough to find.
Jon
Old 03-25-2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
It looks like someone had fun painting this machine and cabinet!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/fuo/2913453965.html

Nancy
That's awful to paint a cabinet like that. But the machine sure stands out pretty with the white.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 AM

I wanted to show you this from a 1949 Singer sewing manual. Never in a hundred years would I be able to do what it says.
Attached Thumbnails 1949-sewing-manual.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 AM

:d :d :d :d

Originally Posted by crossstitcher View Post
i wanted to show you this from a 1949 singer sewing manual. Never in a hundred years would i be able to do what it says.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 AM

Joe,

You spelled my name OK.

The only possible problem with lowering the needle bar is the needle clamp hitting the foot. Sometimes this will happen depending on the length on the old needle. If it was a really long one then the clamp with the change is lowered so much as to interfere with the travel of the bar.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Jon,

Joe

Last edited by Mizkaki; 03-25-2012 at 08:54 AM.