Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish View Post
That is nice. Have you come up with a name yet? I vote for.....Precious!
I also noticed the 201 is a centennial model born in 1951. I didn't even notice when DH brought her home, think I was in shock at acquiring yet another machine and one I didn't have one of already. No name yet but I'm leaning toward Ethel in honor of the sweet woman who owned her forever until the sale. She is a sweet lady and so is her machine.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:59 PM

First the fabric bowls and now this work of art!

Dear Santa..
I made a couple of the fabric bowls you use to set a bowl of food in to put in the microwave to nuke. My DH loves them and they sure make a hot bowl easy to handle. Great idea......
Old 11-13-2011, 08:16 PM

I got brave and took the bottom off the FW tonight. Got the red felt circle and screw off ok. Took off the metal plate thing. Whole underneath of it very greasy, all dark grease. Then there is this curved metal piece on the bottom, and it's coated with the same whitish gritty stuff. There is a long metal bar and on the end it turns on like a toothed cog thing, that is covered in balled up oil that looks like a dark grease too. I'm going to go peruse the owner's manual some more. I can't figure out how to get at all the metal pieces under the spool pin. There has to be a way at it. I suppose that is probably where people would use a toothbrush or artists brush. Had a great time looking over those videos. Playing around on the board looking through the tutes too.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Finding the maker of this machine would be similar to finding the maker of a "Japanese Clone" I would imagine. Great machine, this is too nice and a little light for factory work, probably used by skilled pro without AC or just preferred treddlin. Jon
Jon
Ok Jon, why do you think this machine is a clone? My Japanese 15 is a clone. I have one "made in occupied Japan" that is a clone. These machines were made by Brother, or White, or somebody with a name stamped on them that has nothing to do with the original maker's name. When White made a machine for someone else to put their name on it, they didn't have "White' stamped all over it? I am confused why this machine that has 'Hitachi" etched, welded, decaled all over the machine would be a clone? I mean it may be, but I am confused as to why you think it can't be made by Hitachi, who makes their own tools right? Just because some clerk told me Hitachi didn't make or sell sewing machines, doesn't mean they never did? You think someone else made the machine and just called it a Hitachi? Anyway, it is fun, but sometimes frustrating to try and find something out about one of these mystery machines.

Second question, why do you think it is too light for factory work. The machine head is very heavy, all steel. The frame is similar to what Singer used in the 1930's and later on their treadle irons, but still very heavy stuff. The cabinet is a no thrills, wood top with one drawer. - a machine made to produce not look at.

I am not doubting you, just trying to pick your brain as to why you think the way you do about this machine. Billy is suppose to be putting together a composite of the Japanese made machines - maybe, he will learn something about this one. I personally think it was owned by a family from Japan, the drawer is full of things from Japan including the needles - maybe, someone had it specially made for them? Anyway, it would be really fun to find a second Hitachi treadle or if it is a clone shouldn't there be others like it?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 11-13-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:46 PM

Nancy, When I first saw this machine on CL, I told my husband about it. He looked at me surprised and said Hitachi never made sewing machines. He had never heard of a Hitachi sewing machine. IF Hitachi did make sewing machines, it must have been for a very brief period.

He doesn't know of any other Hitachi company, and says most likely a Singer with Hitachi name on it. It does look like one of the Singers that we had compared it to; I just can't remember which one right now.

Last edited by vintagemotif; 11-13-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter711 View Post
Yes, Miriam you are a "super member". I am off to the sewing room/machine to check this out. I looked at the manual and the adjustment manual but no info on what I was looking for!! Thank you very much for this info.
Look on that site http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ under tension mechanism - it is under section #2. Look for a tension going forward and use that info and you will get it fixed. I'll look for more info - it may have to be a different service manual - possibly a 401 or a 500 - the tension is the same on them. That one was the one most helpful to me on doing the springs.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Ok Jon, why do you think this machine is a clone? My Japanese 15 is a clone. I have one "made in occupied Japan" that is a clone. These machines were made by Brother, or White, or somebody with a name stamped on them that has nothing to do with the original maker's name. When White made a machine for someone else to put their name on it, they didn't have "White' stamped all over it? I am confused why this machine that has 'Hitachi" etched, welded, decaled all over the machine would be a clone? I mean it may be, but I am confused as to why you think it can't be made by Hitachi, who makes their own tools right? Just because some clerk told me Hitachi didn't make or sell sewing machines, doesn't mean they never did? You think someone else made the machine and just called it a Hitachi? Anyway, it is fun, but sometimes frustrating to try and find something out about one of these mystery machines.

Second question, why do you think it is too light for factory work. The machine head is very heavy, all steel. The frame is similar to what Singer used in the 1930's and later on their treadle irons, but still very heavy stuff. The cabinet is a no thrills, wood top with one drawer. - a machine made to produce not look at.

I am not doubting you, just trying to pick your brain as to why you think the way you do about this machine. Billy is suppose to be putting together a composite of the Japanese made machines - maybe, he will learn something about this one. I personally think it was owned by a family from Japan, the drawer is full of things from Japan including the needles - maybe, someone had it specially made for them? Anyway, it would be really fun to find a second Hitachi treadle or if it is a clone shouldn't there be others like it?

Nancy
Maybe someone was trying to get something started over here and made up a sample.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
I got brave and took the bottom off the FW tonight. Got the red felt circle and screw off ok. Took off the metal plate thing. Whole underneath of it very greasy, all dark grease. Then there is this curved metal piece on the bottom, and it's coated with the same whitish gritty stuff. There is a long metal bar and on the end it turns on like a toothed cog thing, that is covered in balled up oil that looks like a dark grease too. I'm going to go peruse the owner's manual some more. I can't figure out how to get at all the metal pieces under the spool pin. There has to be a way at it. I suppose that is probably where people would use a toothbrush or artists brush. Had a great time looking over those videos. Playing around on the board looking through the tutes too.
You're on it! Keep going - put anything you take off back asap so it doesn't wander
Old 11-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Power Poster

How do you know?
It worked for a long time after I vaccinated myself when I was under 5 - I had a hand crank to learn on. It was mounted on 2X4s. It disappeared soon after and I got to use the FW after that. Mom had me piecing rag rug strips and I sewed on the dress I wore to first grade - mom did the hard parts. I still couldn't read or write my name. Mom and I won a blue ribbon on that dress - took it to the fair. She made one for my sister. My third sister had to wear them as hand me downs for ever LOL Mom never sewed dresses all alike again. My daughter has 3 girls and then the boys. When she sews dresses alike she does something to make them different on them, but her second daughter pretty much destroys her clothes so the youngest doesn't have much to worry about.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Miriam is my hero! I love that she digs right into her machines with no fear...and I love that she encourages others to do so too!
Ha. I do have fear on some things. Here is how I figure it. If I don't try I have automatically failed. If I try and fail, I still have parts and can try again when I have more information. I do have some parts machines - and I do have some not yet done machine projects that have dragged out. Ask Iris. I read your blog Charlee - wow....