Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Ladies and gents; How on eath can I have about 10 or so boxes of vintage attachments and not one zipper foot in the whole darned lot? Yep, needed one and wound up purchasing mine at a local stoe that carries some bits and pieces for both vintage and modern machines. I paid $4 for a metal one but am puzzled as to how almopst every box has the requisite ruffler and hemmer and most had binding attachments but ZERO zipper feet. Are they like mismatched sox in the dryer?
Chris
Nah, you just happen to have missed them, I think I've got about 10 of 'em in several flavors, the adjustibles, etc
Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
I've told you guys that the button-holers and rufflers breed like crazy now it's the zipper feet. What next? I have a few machines that I wish would breed. And I'd like my penguin walking foot attachment to breed.

Cathy
Maybe if we put yours with mine they would have offspring?????? Kind of like breeding dogs or cats I will never forget how surprised I was when DH was emptying the van out and brought it upstairs. I knew what it was when I bought it, but I had completely forgotten buying it. I *think* we were in Canada and I probably didn't spend a whole lot on it, but ya think I'd at least remember buying it. For a while every time I mentioned it, and how much it's worth he would yell sell it, sell it....I'm saving it's sale for when we are completely out of $$$$ which with any luck will be never
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I'd LOVE to have that handcrank!

Monica, the drawers, in my opinion only, have the original pulls... and I think they're from a badged National machine, or a National. In the early 1900's, National badged a machine called "The Willamette D" for a company in Oregon named "Meyer & Frank". It was a department store. When I went to pick up Mamie, my AG Mason in the pretty rose cabinet, the lady had one sitting beside her. We discussed the cabinet, and thought maybe someone had slapped cheesy after market draw pulls on it because they looked "cheap". Interestingly tho, the irons looked the same on both machines. (Turns out there were only a few cabinet makers for these babies, and everyone used them). Anyway, a week or so later, I saw another "Willamette D" in my local Goodwill. You guessed it. Same drawer pulls. Since then, I've seen yet another with the same pulls... I would venture to guess that the cabinet you show once held a National of some kind...
Charlee, Thank you!! The back reminds me of the Franklin cabinets that I have seen posted on CL. I will google Willamette D to take a peek at those machines. I love the ornate drawers on this cabinet. Interesting to find out that the drawer pulls are original. I thought they looked a bit kitschy on that cabinet, but the more I study them the more I like them.

I would love that handcrank too! Very cute!!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 AM

Just noticed that I misspelled "Meyer & Frank"!! It should be "Meier & Frank"!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Just noticed that I misspelled "Meyer & Frank"!! It should be "Meier & Frank"!
I'll goggle that too! Thanks!!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/fuo/2925532466.html looks like a nice one but missing a plate - I wonder if some other plate will fit that - what needles does it use?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/fuo/2925532466.html looks like a nice one but missing a plate - I wonder if some other plate will fit that - what needles does it use?
It's going to be a #9, and the needles are a Boye 18, or a 127x1....obsolete, but I think there's a substitute for them now...
Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM

Sigh. every time I mention how much one of my little trinkets is worth, my husb starts the sell IT sellIT" chant. He just doesn't understand, half the fun of owning something like that is the happy smug feeling I get of knowing I could turn a profit, but that I'm too noble? idealistic? stupid? to do so!

I was gazing at the IKEA site, getting ideas for turning our garage into a workshop/studio/family room. I noticed nice wall mounted shelves meant to hold CDs and thought they might make a nice display piece for the button hole maker collection. Laura

Originally Posted by greenini View Post
Maybe if we put yours with mine they would have offspring?????? Kind of like breeding dogs or cats I will never forget how surprised I was when DH was emptying the van out and brought it upstairs. I knew what it was when I bought it, but I had completely forgotten buying it. I *think* we were in Canada and I probably didn't spend a whole lot on it, but ya think I'd at least remember buying it. For a while every time I mentioned it, and how much it's worth he would yell sell it, sell it....I'm saving it's sale for when we are completely out of $$$$ which with any luck will be never
Old 03-27-2012, 01:59 PM

I was able to give my sister-in-law one of my machines. It was a Kenmore, made in the 60's and had four boxes
of cams. She had a very inexpensive machine that would not do a good stitch. I am now down to 22 . Kathie
Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Sigh. every time I mention how much one of my little trinkets is worth, my husb starts the sell IT sellIT" chant. He just doesn't understand, half the fun of owning something like that is the happy smug feeling I get of knowing I could turn a profit, but that I'm too noble? idealistic? stupid? to do so!

I was gazing at the IKEA site, getting ideas for turning our garage into a workshop/studio/family room. I noticed nice wall mounted shelves meant to hold CDs and thought they might make a nice display piece for the button hole maker collection. Laura
I get the same thing. "William, it's worth about $85.00!" (talking, for example about a needle spring I found in some attachments I got with my 115...perhaps not the TRUE value, but the cheapest I found one selling for on the net) His response? "You gonna ebay it or use Craig's List?" Uhhhhhh....neither!! I actually let him do that to me with a little cast iron muffin (gem) pan that I found in an antique store for $23.00. Bought it, THRILLED, because I knew it was worth more...and I was collecting them. I let him talk me into selling it...I got $300 for it....but now I don't have one, and the chances of finding another one that the seller doesn't know what it's worth are...slim and next to none!!

I don't let him do that anymore!