Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-29-2013, 03:08 AM

You are a brave one, Miriam. I wouldn't have tackled that one...... but I know you'll have her up and running.... you are amazing.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

She is looking better but not turning yet. I gave it a good soak over night. I should try heat and then soak it again for a while. I have stuff to do today so maybe in a few days I'll get back to it.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:30 AM

I have two of those lovely mint green 185js. Most of these come with the deteriorated plastic clips in the bottom case and broken pylons the machine is supposed to sit on. On the case I have replaced the really bad ones with leather and glue. My brother made the box. Long story short. The bolt that fastens the case: Is it a standard screw or is it one of Singer's B------d screws. Does anyone know? I need a longer one to construct a fastener from wood to go in the box. Otherwise I may whittle a hold down from oak. The only other one I can find is hard plastic.

So far I can't find a matching bolt. I accidently bid on two machines. Another story.
Attached Thumbnails 100_2499.jpg   100_2496.jpg   100_2498.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 AM

Still working on the paint color. So far leaf green, butter yellow, and a few drops of black. Going to add a bit more yellow to the mix.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I like that box the 185 is in. I think I would match the hand wheel instead. It isn't as close so you wouldn't notice if it is a shade off in color.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 AM

Here's a short video of me sewing string blocks and watching the Baseball World Series . I'm using my 1914 Singer 115 treadle.
My hubby was the videographer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aWI4rqBJkw
Sharon
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a special tool I use to scrape some stuff - it is the remains of a crochet hook minus the hook ground to a point. I love that stupid thing. ... I'm thinking maybe wrap some rags around the needle bar shaft and soak it in evap-o-rust? Anybody got some ideas?
Miriam, I would lay the machine on it's side and drape the needlebar with a paper towel looping both ends around the needlebar and the presser bar. Soak the paper towel with tri flow and let it sit for a day or so. I have used wooden Shish Kabob squers to scrape with. You can "Resharpen" them with wire cutters or side cutters at an angle to scrape with after the soak. I would try the least aggressive first and get more and more aggressive as you go as far as solvents. Laying the machine on it's side will prevent most drippage on to painted surfaces like the bed.
~G~
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Grant, the needle bar is now clean! Hoppe's gun cleaner worked very well. The pressure foot and needle bar don't move - machine is in time out.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I pulled out a Kenmore - real nice machine - I was going to put it on CL. I sewed a swatch to be proud of. I tested a cam that does reverse, then all of a sudden the machine got stuck in reverse. What to do?????
Old 10-29-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I pulled out a Kenmore - real nice machine - I was going to put it on CL. I sewed a swatch to be proud of. I tested a cam that does reverse, then all of a sudden the machine got stuck in reverse. What to do?????
Take out the cam. Check to see if it is moving, if not find out where it is binding.

Good to know about the gun cleaner. I would stand it up right side up and put tri flow around both bars. Leave it in time out for a while.
Then have a drink myself.
~G~