Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Not the feed dogs look wrong it is the plate that looks wrong to me. Feed dogs are fine. Yes tinkering is the fun part...
Old 10-26-2013, 12:24 PM

Glenn, if you're still around, I have a question for you. I've been working on my 128 handcrank. The decals still look pretty good but the Japan is kinda dull. When I took the felt off the spool pin I could really tell a difference. I can actually 'feel' the lettering on the top of the machine. Should I just put a coat of car wax on it or should I put some shellac on first? I did wash it with soap and water, dry it and put a layer of SMoil on it.... then wiped it with a soft cloth. You're the expert..... what do you think I should do next?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Jean try some wax in a small area and see if it shines up. As for as feeling the lettering that is the clear paper of the decal unfortunatley the gold is long gone. You can also polish using the french polish method and this will add shellac back on the decals. I need to look at the pics again. Pm me if you need further instructions on this.
Skip
Old 10-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Okay, here's the picture.
Attached Thumbnails sew1-006.jpg  
Old 10-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Let's amend that to day - a heavy older Japanese zz or Kenmore with zig zag or hemming capacity. Maybe find a cheat sheet how to operate then laminate and attach to the table or case. I would look for one with over 1 amp motor. When I used to help out at a clothing/food pantry we had all kinds of needs to hem up pants or take something in/out a little so people could get a job. Not everybody goes through those places are going to stick around any longer than they have to. One guy was the curator from a foreign museum exhibit and very down on his luck. He was a persecuted Christian and pretty homeless or maybe refugee type mess. He just needed a suit, shirt, tie and some good shoes & socks. We fixed him up. He wrote my name in hieroglyphics and he spoke 30 languages. The guy he was with was in town for cancer treatment. We fixed him up, too. He had lost everything. He had been a foreign diplomat at one time. They stood out believe me. You never know who you are helping. We had a Singer 500 in there for patching things up. We also sewed diapers and skirts for people in other countries out of stuff nobody would haul away. I wish I could be there again. It was a load of fun. Always something interesting going on. My son got to help deliver leftover baked goods to the AA places with a guy who taught him never to take a drink. He never has that I know of. I can't say I gave as much as I got.
Miriam; thanks for the suggestions. I have several candidates to choose from given your suggestions. I am talking the guy on Monday about this and will see what they think. I admit I haven't tinkered much with my Kenmores but I can learn and this would release one from my home to people who need it. I also have several Singers I could gift them but know space is at a premium.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Okay, here's the picture.
I think I would do some French polish on this one to protect the decals that are in good shape. You can try waxing first if you like to see what it will do for the shine, the wax will provide some protection for the decals to. Nice machine lucky you
Skip
Old 10-26-2013, 02:07 PM

Thanks, Glenn. I'll try to wax it first. If I decide to try the French polish, do I need to remove the wax at that point? I remember you telling all of us about that method some time back .... around 1500-1800? Can you direct me again?
Old 10-26-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Thanks, Glenn. I'll try to wax it first. If I decide to try the French polish, do I need to remove the wax at that point? I remember you telling all of us about that method some time back .... around 1500-1800? Can you direct me again?
Just wipe it down with naptha and then you can french polish if you want to. Naptha is nothing more than lighter fluid for a zippo lighter. I think your decals and machine are in such good shape you can just wax. Go to my profile and look up my threads and you will find all that you need. PM please before you french polish if you decide to do this.
Skip
Old 10-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Don't worry. I will definitely PM you before I try to French Polish. I should probably try that on another machine.... one not as nice as this one. It really cleaned up nicely.... I still need to get a new tire for it and I should take the bobbin winder off and take it apart to clean it. I haven't done that yet. It does sew a nice stitch.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:03 AM

Steve, congratulations on winning over your old sweetheart. I like the ring. Just what Dr Steve ordered.