Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Hi Muv.
Yes, the Vibra came with round shank needles. We got the shuttle cover plates off with a little 3 in 1 oil and a rubber hammer. I nearly died when I heard him tapping, but hubby is very careful. The shuttle works a treat and the reverse lever works. The machine stitches ok but I need a new rubber thingy on the bobbin winder as it's perished. Hubby is looking into giving it all a good oiling with proper sewing machine oil. We've downloaded instruction books from the internet for both machines. I ordered new bobbins and proper needles from Alex Askarov www.sewalot.com for the Singer 12, it also needs a new rubber thingy for the bobbin winder. The original appears to have melted all over the base.

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Hello Bluebell,

What a nice pair of machines! The Vibra is actually a Jones machine. If a company placed a large enough order with them they would put that company's name or brand name on the machines for them. Did it come with a packet of needles? Are they round shanked?

Don't tell the Americans how much we can find machines for. They might get jealous.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Too bad I can't drive there. If it could be done, it would be too far a drive for me- plus the issue of gas prices.
You do have some lovely machines that are different from what is readily available here in the States.

Bluebell, those are very lovely machines, enjoy!
Thank for the comments on my new machines. I'm thrilled with them. I only went in to look at the Singer 12. The lady wanted £15 for it. She said would I like to look at the other Singer, but when she took the cover off I said "That's not a Singer" and she said I could have the pair for £20. My heart did a flip because I could see both machines didn't need too much work, I said I'd have them both and paid the money. Then I went to get the car and hurriedly got them loaded. I think my little machines have come home. I have them on the kitchen table and keep stroking them. I'm running out of thread on the No.12's only bobbin. Waiting for the new bobbins to come and need a new rubber thingy on the winder. Sigh! Each time hubby walks past, he has a look and a little fiddle. He's trying to keep me patient, but the excitement keeps bubbling over!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Muv

Hello Bluebell - the best person for supplies and advice is Helen Howes at www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk She doesn't mind if you email her questions. Alex Askarov charges for downloads for information which can be found elsewhere on the net. He charges a fiver to download his spiel on tension adjustment, whereas you can find it reproduced free on the Treadle On site. Also you can watch my vids. They are free too.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM

Kyia ,
I don't know anything about the value. I got mine so I could treadle on a sweet old machine like the one on which I was taught to sew about 65 years ago. I have had it for a month or so and I'm still excited. It was somewhat rusty and looked like it hadn't been touched to sew on for a very long time when I got it so I had to refurbish it. Good old machines are not easy to find here in FL...they are rusty if they have been here and unused for long due to the humidity so I decided to jump into the refurbishing of it and the 128 that I found about 2 weeks ago.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Hello Bluebell - the best person for supplies and advice is Helen Howes at www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk She doesn't mind if you email her questions. Alex Askarov charges for downloads for information which can be found elsewhere on the net. He charges a fiver to download his spiel on tension adjustment, whereas you can find it reproduced free on the Treadle On site. Also you can watch my vids. They are free too.
Hi Muv.
Thanks for the links. I have looked at them all. I had wondered how you got the black enamel to shine and was astounded that you just rub oil over it and polish with a soft cotton cloth. Good job I looked as both my machines are covered in decals. Someone has already had a go at the Vibra as some of the green and turquoise have gone down to silver....shame. Inside the base of the Vibra, one of the rubber pads that holds it level has worn away and it fits in the base on a tilt.Hubby is already thinking about that. He does lots of looking and thinking before he does anything......it can go on for days!!!! When he makes a start on anything, he makes a beautiful job of it. ....I'm just waiting with baited breath. I shall see if I can get a new rubber bobbin thingy for the Singer 12....if not, I expect he'll come up with something. I guess I can make a start on a bit of metal polishing.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 AM

Ok gang it's a rainy day here today so I made an apple pie and it's in the shop so help yourselfs.
There's coffee and tea to go with it. BTW it's a French apple. DH's favorite so better hurry.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Ok gang it's a rainy day here today so I made an apple pie and it's in the shop so help yourselfs.
There's coffee and tea to go with it. BTW it's a French apple. DH's favorite so better hurry.
Thanks! I'll have some with my morning coffee while reading the QB.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 AM

For all the newbies to treadling, there are numerous youtube videos on how to treadle. MUV has numerous videos that are very well done.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 AM

I'm on dial up, I can't watch videos without a long download period.
I learned to treadle by sitting my keester down in front of the machine and doing it. Did I get frustrated? Just ask Elaine, she'll tell you. But once it clicked between my feet, hands and brain it was just a couple days of practicing and awwwaaaaayyyyyy we went.

So, although videos are sometimes fun to watch, you can do without them. If I could anyone can.

Joe
Old 09-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Am I too late for pie? Can anyone tell me about either of these three machines?[ATTACH=CONFIG]360826[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]360827[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]360828[/ATTACH] If it's any consolation, they were free....
Attached Thumbnails cardinal-aug-2012-058.jpg   cardinal-aug-2012-059.jpg   cardinal-aug-2012-069.jpg