Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Need some "expert" advice.
The cleaning of my Singer 27 went well and hubby has it working nicely now it's my turn. I used the manual and know how to thread it but the shuttle/bobbin situation has be stumped.
I watched some Youtubes on how to wind the bobbin-check did that right but when it comes to loading the bobbin into the shuttle...there is a problem
I insert the wound bobbin into the opening and then pull the thread straight down the slot and try to pull it straight up through the tension thing and it just comes right back up the slot again.
I loosened the screw to see if it was too tight but other than finding a bit of thread wrapped around it, which I removed, didn't make a difference to get the thread under the tension thing.
Sigh...
So any suggestions from here? I can try a photo but since I am down to only my cell phone for pictures it might not be too clear but I can try.
I was so excited to get treading and now am at a standstill! Maybe I should have gone for the White with a rotary bobbin which I am familiar with first.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
Need some "expert" advice.
The cleaning of my Singer 27 went well and hubby has it working nicely now it's my turn. I used the manual and know how to thread it but the shuttle/bobbin situation has be stumped.
I watched some Youtubes on how to wind the bobbin-check did that right but when it comes to loading the bobbin into the shuttle...there is a problem
I insert the wound bobbin into the opening and then pull the thread straight down the slot and try to pull it straight up through the tension thing and it just comes right back up the slot again.
I loosened the screw to see if it was too tight but other than finding a bit of thread wrapped around it, which I removed, didn't make a difference to get the thread under the tension thing.
Sigh...
So any suggestions from here? I can try a photo but since I am down to only my cell phone for pictures it might not be too clear but I can try.
I was so excited to get treading and now am at a standstill! Maybe I should have gone for the White with a rotary bobbin which I am familiar with first.
Muv has the best info on that stuff on her blog.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 PM

Hey Charlie glad to see you back. Missed you a lot.
Skip
Old 11-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Photos of the shuttle
Attached Thumbnails img_20131125_153137.jpg   img_20131125_153001.jpg   img_20131125_152935.jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Photos of the shuttle
have you tried unwinding a little bobbin thread - see if it is too full?
Old 11-25-2013, 04:16 PM

I thought about the bobbin might being too full however...
I turns out I was just trying too hard to get the thread in the "right"place and I just needed to relax! LOL
If you are interested I posted a little short video on my Facebook page of the machine in action!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Cathie.... glad to hear you figured it out. I had the same problem with my 128 when I was first trying to use it. It's amazing how just relaxing makes such a difference. I seem to panic and then I have to take a little time to let my brain figure things out.

You are going to love that machine. I could watch the bobbin fill for hours..... amazing how it wraps the thread so perfectly. And, the stitches are great, too.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM

Thanks Skip! I missed all of you too!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:09 PM

I thought about the bobbin might being too full however...
I turns out I was just trying too hard to get the thread in the "right"place and I just needed to relax! LOL
If you are interested I posted a little short video on my Facebook page of the machine in action!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Got an error message "The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."
Old 11-26-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Cathie.... glad to hear you figured it out. I had the same problem with my 128 when I was first trying to use it. It's amazing how just relaxing makes such a difference. I seem to panic and then I have to take a little time to let my brain figure things out.

You are going to love that machine. I could watch the bobbin fill for hours..... amazing how it wraps the thread so perfectly. And, the stitches are great, too.
Glad you figured it out. I had the same problem when I first started. But, DH remembered how to do it from watching his mom. Once I got the hang of it seems so simple.