Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Miriam if only you were closer I'd help you downsize your tables. I picked up a White in a plastic case today at GW. It's so heavy that I'd really like to have it in a table.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Where are you at? I'm up for a road trip in November... Heading south.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Some of the White machines will fit in a Singer table. I agree, a table is much easier - those cases get heavy.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:17 PM

Thanks but you're headed in the wrong direction. Maybe I could tempt you with some leaf peeping in New England? LOL

Compared the measurements on a Singer and the White and yes this is one that will fit in a Singer table.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
Thanks but you're headed in the wrong direction. Maybe I could tempt you with some leaf peeping in New England? LOL

Compared the measurements on a Singer and the White and yes this is one that will fit in a Singer table.
Nope leaf peeping south. Around here it isn't hard to find a cabinet. It is harder to find a case.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 AM

After dumping cookies and searching the hinterlands for blocks on the site, I gave up. A month or so of never trying to get this thread to show I clicked on a post from Miriam from my this thread's daily email (thank God for that or I would have gone nuts) and voila! I'm sure the neighborhood could hear me hootin' and hollerin'.

Yes, I do have new machines. Some of you know about Vlad the Impaler. It is a Kenmore/White 117.551 and sews nice handsome stitches. I love the strange foot pedal! It is so easy to control and my foot never gets hot. For those of you that don't have a mental image to rely on, a picture will follow.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433698[/ATTACH]
This is my $20 CL find. It was in a chewed up Sears cabinet and had been electrified. Wrong handwheel, crinkle finish motor, a newer friction style bobbin winder and a totally thread filled bobbin hook but no bobbin case. The bobbin winder stop pin had been cut off and so far that is the only alteration I cannot fix.

Yes, the finish is that shiny. I've never had a White that came to me in this condition! Thankfully the WFR that came in my beautiful cabinet was available as a donor. Now it has the correct handwheel, bobbin winder (floppy but works with hand holding), no motor, a bobbin case, and replaced rusty bits. With lots of Tri-Flow and cleaning, it is now installed and treadling in a beautiful cabinet. A match made in heaven! Sews quietly and consistently. I have a feeling it will soon be a favorite.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433706[/ATTACH]

Annette
Attached Thumbnails wfr.1917.3.jpg   whiterotaryfinal.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 09:46 AM

Good work Redbug. You have been busy!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Hi Melinda. There's no issue. There are plenty of sewing kits out there, but I think you were referring to something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Beg...g-Kit/17338020

I searched around looking for the sewing kits, and I came across a better one I think - it includes a caddy. http://www.galleydirect.com/product....&pfid=10015555

Thanks!
-Bob
Old 09-02-2013, 02:00 PM

Did I ask about sewing kits? I have not posted a pic of the 227m yet but I will. It came from a local restaurant with a little shop attached to browse while you waited to be seated. My husband and I saw it at dinner one night and he slipped back the next week to buy it for me; good timimg for the machine because the place burned to the ground the next week.

Miriam the shop looks great. Love the quilted floor.