Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

I just cut up the shirt to the size that fit the quilted piece then I sewed around it - then I ripped out some and put the cut down sleeves in. I turned it through the buttoned part. Pretty easy but it took a while.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Great Idea miriam, I will have to try that out. I have been making aprons from men's shirt this summer for my DD's and DGD's ,just google for some great ideas about that one. Made a 4th of July decorated one for DD born on July 8th. She loved it.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 AM
Power Poster

I think I figured out how to sew the collar back on - it adds a lot - just takes more time. A cheeky fat little neck tie is cute, too. I doubt if the next two get collars and neck ties though.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 AM

I like it Miriam. You could easily do themed covers. Cowboy, Gangster, etc. I want to make one now with a tab collar, skinny tie and a (silk) red rose pinned to it. Or one with what I wore on my wedding day. Maybe both.

Also, I would like to know what the Citizens of Quilting Board think what defines an Antique, Vintage, and a contemporary machine. For cars, it is an Antique if it is 50 years old, or older. A car is considered a Vintage car if it is 16 years old, or older. I think that everything else seems to be 100 years old to be an antique, and 50 years old to be Vintage. But I think that sewing machines are vintage before plastic, so, the 70's and before, and antique machines right around the end of WWII and before. Relics before 1900.
~G~
Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
I like it Miriam. You could easily do themed covers. Cowboy, Gangster, etc. I want to make one now with a tab collar, skinny tie and a (silk) red rose pinned to it. Or one with what I wore on my wedding day. Maybe both.

Also, I would like to know what the Citizens of Quilting Board think what defines an Antique, Vintage, and a contemporary machine. For cars, it is an Antique if it is 50 years old, or older. A car is considered a Vintage car if it is 16 years old, or older. I think that everything else seems to be 100 years old to be an antique, and 50 years old to be Vintage. But I think that sewing machines are vintage before plastic, so, the 70's and before, and antique machines right around the end of WWII and before. Relics before 1900.
~G~
Themed would be fun - I'm so short of time. How about a cowboy or a sheriff?

You might be right about the ages. Pre plastic for me - what ever...
Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Themed would be fun - I'm so short of time. How about a cowboy or a sheriff?

You might be right about the ages. Pre plastic for me - what ever...
I like the Sheriff idea a lot. This sounds like something that you would see at a craft fair. I also like the idea of having them labeled as Time Out and ones with specific model on them too. So you don't have to keep lifting them up to remember what is under there.
~G~
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 AM

Miriam, I love the sewing machine shirt! So cute, and so innovative!

Grant, I think you are on the right track. When Billy started this thread he always said vintage was anything from the 1970's back, antique is 100 years old, but there are a lot of people who refer to a machine that is 50 years old as antique.

Relics - well who knows? We are all relics along with our machines!
Nancy
Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I was thinking name badges so I can change these out. I like the one somebody came up with VLAD THE IMPALER Singer 66 red eye and FRANKLIN for the Franklin Rotary I need some names - I have one of those Spinx with stars all over the nose plate and the circle plate... Maybe something like VENUS. The Vindex Special needs something from Frankenstein... but that is too close to Franklin... Maybe Dracula... something to get the idea to be careful around the needle... But shouldn't that have a black cape or something. NOT HAPPENING.

Last edited by miriam; 09-03-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Miriam, I love the sewing machine shirt! So cute, and so innovative!

Grant, I think you are on the right track. When Billy started this thread he always said vintage was anything from the 1970's back, antique is 100 years old, but there are a lot of people who refer to a machine that is 50 years old as antique.

Relics - well who knows? We are all relics along with our machines!
Nancy
Nancy, Ok, so it isn't just me that is not 100% clear on what is Vintage and what is antique. Maybe it is because I am a Relic.
I just kind of lump them all together as Vintage and Antique machines. It is kind of a cowards way out I suppose.

Miriam, I found these at a garage sale and didn't know what I was going to use them for. I think they would be great for what you are talking about. Double sided tape with a locking pin, like what is on the back of a button.
~G~
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433852[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0850c.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Grant, you are right - those would be perfect. I'll have to look around here and see what I have. I can't do anything with plastic though. It is a period event. LOL. I did some research as to patents and I'm in the realm... I will do a history of clothing and machines if people have time to hear me gab. Basically the sewing machine revolutionized society. Used to be class distinction with the clothing. Not so much. Around my neighborhood they wear as good of stuff as the rest of the town.... They just don't pull up pants or tuck in shirts... LOL I have a lot to say about the sewing and the fashions of the day. I did a lot of research years ago on the clothing. I've been learning about the old machines of late. I just got the last machine cover made. I'm thinking I may crank up the electronic machine that does words and write the machine's name and figure out how I'm going to fasten it on. Then I need to figure out TIME OUT or maybe the other way around.