Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-12-2013, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]434765[/ATTACH]
very intense
Miriam, loved all the photos! I really like this one with the finger guard so visible! It is so cool that your addiction to the vintage machines is a family/friends affair!

I have not had time to post or sew much lately! My daughter's horse threw her on our girls only horse camping trip the first weekend in August, which resulted in a hospital stay - nasty accident! It scared me to death so I have been riding that horse daily to put some time and miles on her along with my own horses! No time for sewing machines right now - darn!

Nancy
Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 AM

Nancy, you gotta do what you gotta do and family comes first, always. Hope your DD is doing okay now.... some of those accidents can be major. I hope hers wasn't major.

Sewing machines are a major thing in our lives but they can wait..... some of these babies have waited for years for someone to love them again...... but we can turn back the time with sewing machines..... can't do that with our real life babies.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Miriam, loved all the photos! I really like this one with the finger guard so visible! It is so cool that your addiction to the vintage machines is a family/friends affair!

I have not had time to post or sew much lately! My daughter's horse threw her on our girls only horse camping trip the first weekend in August, which resulted in a hospital stay - nasty accident! It scared me to death so I have been riding that horse daily to put some time and miles on her along with my own horses! No time for sewing machines right now - darn!

Nancy
Nancy, I am hoping for a speedy recovery.

As for the 201 discussion, I believe that the tan 201 is a 201-K. I don't know if many of them were sold in the US. The black ones we are used to seeing here are 201-2 with the potted motor or a 201-3 with an external motor with belt drive.
~G~
Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Nancy, I am hoping for a speedy recovery.

As for the 201 discussion, I believe that the tan 201 is a 201-K. I don't know if many of them were sold in the US. The black ones we are used to seeing here are 201-2 with the potted motor or a 201-3 with an external motor with belt drive.
~G~
Thank you Jean and Grant. My daughter is fine now, but at the time she stopped breathing. I had to do CPR on my own daughter - so scary. We are doing a second girl's only camping trip next weekend, but this time we are going with a Horsewomen's Christian riding group so we won't be so alone!

If I got a 201, I'd want the tan one! Cool looking machine!

Nancy
Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 AM

I have a question that I would like some help and clarity on. I am selling a Pfaff 230. I had a sign shop interested in it to sew banners. The material is like the old time yellow vinyl rain coat material. He needed to sew 4 layers and a layer of webbing material similar to car seat belt material. I tested it out at home and with a twin needle it went through 8 layers of denim no problem. When I tried sewing the vinyl, it pierced through just fine but had a difficult time pulling back out of the material. With a single needle, it was better but it still stuck a bit.
Should I have been using a special needle or is this material too tough for the Pfaff 230?
I never said that I was a seamstress.
Thank you in advance.
~G~
Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Thank you Jean and Grant. My daughter is fine now, but at the time she stopped breathing. I had to do CPR on my own daughter - so scary. We are doing a second girl's only camping trip next weekend, but this time we are going with a Horsewomen's Christian riding group so we won't be so alone!

If I got a 201, I'd want the tan one! Cool looking machine!

Nancy

The tan 201 is the one I'd like to own!

Nancy
Nancy, I can't even imagine how scary that must have been. I am so glad that she is better now.
~G~
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
I have a question that I would like some help and clarity on. I am selling a Pfaff 230. I had a sign shop interested in it to sew banners. The material is like the old time yellow vinyl rain coat material. He needed to sew 4 layers and a layer of webbing material similar to car seat belt material. I tested it out at home and with a twin needle it went through 8 layers of denim no problem. When I tried sewing the vinyl, it pierced through just fine but had a difficult time pulling back out of the material. With a single needle, it was better but it still stuck a bit.
Should I have been using a special needle or is this material too tough for the Pfaff 230?
I never said that I was a seamstress.
Thank you in advance.
~G~
You should be using a leather needle!

Nancy
Old 09-12-2013, 08:37 AM

You should be using a leather needle!

Nancy
Do they make double needle leather needles? It also needs some heavy thread, not just regular thread. Some that can be outside in the elements too.
~G~
Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Okay, guy I have a question concerning my FW, it seems to not like the new metal bobbins. I have two blackside bobbins and it will sew quite as a mice. When I use a recently bought metal one, it makes the squeaking noise. I applied oil on the bobbin, the bobbin case and the mount. Do I use a s/m grease? Thank you gang any help will be appreciated.

cherryb
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty View Post
Okay, guy I have a question concerning my FW, it seems to not like the new metal bobbins. I have two blackside bobbins and it will sew quite as a mice. When I use a recently bought metal one, it makes the squeaking noise. I applied oil on the bobbin, the bobbin case and the mount. Do I use a s/m grease? Thank you gang any help will be appreciated.

cherryb
Where were the new ones made? Are they Singer brand or are they something made in China. I have heard of problems with the Chinese made ones not working in several machines.
~G~