Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-12-2013, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking I've seen green Singer 15s with similar body style to that tan 201. Then the 185s have a similar body style but are 3/4 size.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:29 AM

Very interesting conversation going on here, I was just wondering if this is THE machine I need:
http://people.uta.fi/~hs62298/kuvia/singer/

It's for sale in a auction site, price starting from 50 euros, about 45 USD.

I have already decided my treadle will be 201, partly because they are not so readily available as 15's and Husqvarnas (Viking) around here. So there will be less temptations for me ;-)

Any opinions about this linked machine, seller says there is no rust and it is not jammed?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
Very interesting conversation going on here, I was just wondering if this is THE machine I need:
http://people.uta.fi/~hs62298/kuvia/singer/

It's for sale in a auction site, price starting from 50 euros, about 45 USD.

I have already decided my treadle will be 201, partly because they are not so readily available as 15's and Husqvarnas (Viking) around here. So there will be less temptations for me ;-)

Any opinions about this linked machine, seller says there is no rust and it is not jammed?
I'm thinking I would be getting that. QB member, Rain has a wonderful blog about the old machines: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/201-2
Old 09-12-2013, 03:50 AM

Thank you for the tip, miriam, I have been reading Rain's blog, but it was before this recent fixation on 201's.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:21 AM

Oh my! The hunt for the 201s begins...... I'm sure there are 100s out there, maybe 1000s. My problem is that I can't always tell which model they are... so many are similar. I need to print off the serial # list but I bet that's 100s of pages long......

It's the hunt that's so much fun anyway.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Rain has info on his blog how to tell the difference between one old black Singer and another. VERY helpful blog. Let him know you love him - he's a great guy.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 AM

I'm not much for telling people 'I love you'..... but I do love his blog, have it bookmarked and look at it quite often. He sure shows great pictures and gives wonderful explanations about working on these old machines. I'm getting much better at identifying the different singer models but still don't have the confidence I should have when I see one at an estate sale or an auction. That's where I see most of them and am tempted...... getting better.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I think there are other blogs that tell how to identify the old machines, too. After you have handled a few they get easy. DH has been learning and some times he amazes me.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 AM

I think my DH would like to know more about these machines. He always asks me why I don't get the ones I pass up. I just won't buy a machine that is in bad rusty condition or has a lot of missing parts. Most of the time that's the condition they're in when I see them at auctions. At estate sales they are usually better but those estate dealers think they are worth gold. But he likes the vintage machines..... always helps me get parts unstuck, etc. I have some arthritis in my right hand and can't put the pressure on stuff like I used to. I'm the more mechanical one, he's the better remodeling, carpentry one. We are actually a pretty good pair.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Got me a new toy today. Does anyone know of this little beauty?
Wow, Skip that is so cute!

Nancy