Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-14-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Sure. I borrowed this picture from the net. It's not my machine. Mine is now deep in the attic since I can't use it. The 73 cleat double belt on the left is for the timing. The single 84 cleat belt to the motor goes on the far right. But I think in the photo the belt is missing. But, you can see all the grooves for where the cleats fit in. The single, 84 cleat belt is the one I broke. The belt pictured is similar to the one I need.
So that's what those belts look like. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Just found a Singer industrial, been on my want list for a while. Good price, too. However, today is my 19th wedding anniversary, and I somehow thought that my DH would not want to spend a rainy afternoon figuring out how to get the beast home, and then where in the house to shoehorn it. So, basically his anniversary gift is me NOT buying a huge machine.

I did buy a smaller one, though, a bit of an oddball. Has the name "sewmaster" which seems like a pretty common badge name. What's odd about it is it was made in Czechoslovakia. Not somewhere I'd expect anyone to import a machine from! It's cooling its heels in the trunk until AFTER tonight's romantic dinner....
Congrats on 19th Anniversary!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Hi Laura,
How's your never ending scrappy quilt coming along? I'm working on my PP state stars, moving slowly on them.
Well, I have about six pounds of blocks, rolled onto a paper towel roll and all sewed into one big strip. I have been squaring things up to 10 inches- well, at least one side to 10 inches. Most of them are log cabin blocks, but some are orphans that are trimmed to size. Can I post pictures here? How? (Simple steps, short sentences, I am not a tech girl!)
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM

My wife and I had a banner week for good Singers. We went to meet another forum member Monday to pick up an old Minnesota Model -B- and then on the way back hit a big antique shop. Not finding anything there we stopped at another one. Hit the jackpot there. We brought home a Singer 338K in a double lid cabinet that was like new. It had exactly one problem; the inner plastic tension thing with the + | - on it had broken inside where the little pin pushes on it. No way to regulate the top tension. I fixed that today with a $3.00 part from the local SMG.

We went back Tuesday after noon and picked up the Singer 201-2 in the cabinet that looks like a treadle cabinet but with wooden legs. The machine is in beautiful condition. Needs cleaning and oiling and one spring for the cabinet.
I'll find one of those or put in a WTB add here in a day or three.

.................................................. .....................................

Candace,

I'll print the pic you posted and take it to my local guy. He's got a ton of parts and pieces and when I asked him about the belt today he didn't say no. But I'd forgot to write down the model # so I'll do that later.

Joe
Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM

Thanks Joe, you're a sweetheart!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
So that's what those belts look like. Thanks for posting!
very timely- it looks like the Czech one I just bought has a cleated motor belt. Just saw it as I got the umbrella out of the trunk- can't really get my hands dirty on that machine until Friday, or Saturday....sigh.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I use a piece from a screw driver that fits in a socket and a box wrench to get the throat plate and feed dog screws out because of the space. Heat might help too. Those work loose if they aren't on tight. I've also had a very long screw driver ground to an angle - it was stolen.
Got the throat plate off. It was really tight but bigger screws. Used the liquid wrench but nothing so far. I am letting it set for now and soak. Thanks for the info on the socket and box wrench. I will be trying those. You are right, the space is almost nonexsistant for a tool. I will look around and see what other tools I have that might be adapted to fit. I still think they used a torque wrench (new word for me that my brother taught me ) to put those screws in and tighten. BTW did you steal the ground screw driver or just inherit it?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 PM

Candace,

I just checked my wholesale catalog. You are definitely correct, your Pfaff does take a cleated motor belt. I learn something new everyday. I have a Pfaff 360 (I think that is the model), that I have no desire to work on. It's yours if you want it. I'll check when I get home on Friday to see if it has the cleated motor belt.

The darning/ FM spring is on it's way. I mailed it this morning. I went back to look at the picture you posted of the darning spring. The one I'm sending to you is a slightly different style. Here is the picture of one just like it on Monica's machine. It can be a little tricky to figure out, but it works beautifully. Monica is in love with it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]320024[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]320024[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]320024[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]320025[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Cathy, it's the motor belt. The motor belts on these older models have cleats. I think the timing belt also has cleats(fewer I believe), but I'd have to double check that. It was my fault it broke. I put too much pressure on a 50 year old belt. At least the motor is nice and clean now.....sigh. Live and learn.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-03-14-21.41.41.jpg   2012-03-14-21.41.30.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM

Miriam,

Yes, you will be in my prayers.

Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I've been full speed working or dealing with some very serious family issues of late. Keep us in your prayers, it ain't over until the fat lady sings.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Candace,

The darning/ FM spring is on it's way. I mailed it this morning. I went back to look at the picture you posted of the darning spring. The one I'm sending to you is a slightly different style. Here is the picture of one just like it on Monica's machine. It can be a little tricky to figure out, but it works beautifully. Monica is in love with it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]320024[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]320024[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]320024[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]320025[/ATTACH]
Cathy, You got the photos up already! I had fun with this darning foot since you can see all around it as you are quilting. I was able to use it on my Singer 201, Singer 328K, and Necchi Supernova. It fits different machines like it was designed to do.