Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by malindaann
good info. Sounds like I should look for a different machine for the heavy duty stuff. I am looking forward to cleaning her up to be in tip top condition and maybe find a good home for her.
look for some old cheap Japanese machine from the 1950s or so - beat the crap out of it..... when it dies get another one but save the first one for parts.
Great advice!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Miriam just remember all the machine I have are missing the motors except my industrial W&G. That is the first thing that happens to them when they come home.......bye bye motor :lol:

Billy
Hey everyone will be glad to know that we gave my 1909 66-1 Lotus a motorectomy last night. DH wasn't sure I hadn't lost my mind, until I thoroughly explained to him how easy it is to do it and that I want to put the 66 into the treadle base I got this weekend. So he did it...and he was very happy with the result. He appreciates fine wood, and was tinkering around to find the best way to get the 66 into the cabinet with the least amount of carving the hole in the top. He figured it out last night, and I think he'll be doing it today. He's very clever!! :-)

The base I got was from 1891, and is Honduran mahogany. The machine/cabinet had the original receipt still in it..Nov 1891, $70. We (Quiltncowgirl & I) bought it from the family who owned it from the first day...pretty cool. It had a fiddle base roses & cornflower decals head on it; don't know the model. Quiltncowgirl took the head, I took the base. I know, I know!! I am dealing with a little guilt over splitting it up...and so is Quiltncowgirl. But we both wanted nice pieces, and this is what we found. At least we know we can put it back together at some time if either of us wants to do that.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by malindaann
good info. Sounds like I should look for a different machine for the heavy duty stuff. I am looking forward to cleaning her up to be in tip top condition and maybe find a good home for her.
look for some old cheap Japanese machine from the 1950s or so - beat the crap out of it..... when it dies get another one but save the first one for parts.
Great advice!!!
I wore out a perfectly good Pfaff industrial - yeah it WILL sew through the layers but I bent the needle shaft. If you can buy a $25 Japanese machine or two just keep parts around... I guess it depends on how much weight you are putting through at the same time you put the layers/bulk through the machine. I also learned to use ramps and let gravity help feed the machine. After the Pfaff died, I got an old Singer walking foot - that is what you want to sew on... At one point I had to do a 40X100 ft awning in my little space. I did it by using a ramp and a rolling cart and dropping it in folds on the floor in front of the machine. Everything was rolled up to get it into the space.

My toughest job was reproducing 2 WWII officer's tents with two awnings over the tents and one awning between the tents. I was allowed to research at the museum at Ft Knox, mircrofilm the pattern/blueprint. I did it according to plan. When it was set up two old vets paid me a very high compliment. They said they didn't think any of those were still around!!! I wish the guy that had me do them would have sent a picture of it for me to see the set up. It was set up at Ft Knox for an event. At that time I was using an old WWII Singer walking foot machine. The olive drab fabric was like sewing on a crayon. I had to keep cleaning the thing. I could have made lot of money doing those tents... It about killed me to do that project though. The chemicals were horrid on my system. Would you also believe there were absolutely NO SCRAPS when I was done.

If you don't have a ton to do just look around for an old 15 clone... Those are pretty tough and they are cheap.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Helloo, I was catching up on my reading here and obsessing about gong to the thrift store at lunchtime.

Soooo.... 30 minutes into my lunch, I took off to the thrift store. Took a stroll to the back section, wandered around and there it was ..on the floor.....the LITTLE BLACK CASE!!!

I opened it... giggled..shut the case and started off to the cash. On my way a gentleman asked what was in the case. I proudly stated "a featherweight sewing machine" WOOHOO!!

He said he had never seen anyone so happy to sew before.

I love you guys and will post pix tonight...it is so cute and was only $69.99!!

Those babies start at $250.00 around here!!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Do you guys and gals know how special each and every one of your are. I just had someone PM me about some needles for my new Davis sewing machine. When I have needed some parts or attatchments you are there as well as any information that I need. All of you go that extra mile for everyone with information and parts. There is no way that I can say thank you to each and every one of you so I am doing this as a group effort. THANK YOU to each and everyone of you. :thumbup: Kathie S.
Isn't this bunch the greatest? I just bought some 20x1 needles on ebay for Mamie (New Florence)...they aren't cheap, but I *really* want to USE this machine!
Did you get more than you need? I have been looking and looking for some for my Minnesota and have not been able to find them. I only have one needle and am so afraid of breaking it. If you do have a couple extra I would love to buy them.

Thanks
Bev
Bev, I was only able to get six needles, BUT!! I am going to go see the local SM "repair" guy (in quotes because his talents are questionable!!) and if I'm not mistaken, he's got a box or two in the back room...if he does, do you want me to get you some?
Yes, yes, please depending on price 3 to 6 should be wonderful if you can find that many.

Thanks so much
Bev
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quilt addict
Billy, glad you are feeling well enough to stop by the shop. Take care of yourself.

Okay, here are the pictures of my $15 singer sewing table. It needs work but thought it was worth it. I hope Glenn will agree. But maybe will just have to totally refinish the top with new veneer. I hope not, I am not sure I can do that.

Sorry my camera will not focus well on the close ups. I hope you can get the idea.
I really like it Lisa and if I know you you were able to get a really good deal on this! You might would have to reveneer the table but its not as hard as it sounds I did a treadle top for a Singer and it looked really nice when I was done with it. Maybe after I get over all of this garbage I will come out there and help you with it. :D

Billy
Then we could do the California Crew get together!! :-)

Actually, I hope you do get feeling well enough to do normal stuff, let alone traveling and anything "extra".
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
In JR High it was a one piece washed out med. green. In HS a one piece maroon, both were school colors. In college it was a bright yellow shirt with roomy black pants and thin white knee socks. We looked like a bunch of crazed neutron bumble bees. LOL :lol:
:lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
We made Gym bags (remember when we had to wear shorts & shirts for gym class?), skirts, and something else, but I don't remember what it was.
We had to wear one-piece gym suits. The top and the shorts were connected. UG---LEEE!!!!!
were they turquoise??? ;)
We had black shorts and a starched white shirt. {sticking out tongue...pfffft} They were ugly.
My one piece gym suit was dark blue. They really were ugly and uncomfortable. No one looked good in them.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 AM

So if Billy doesn't have a part we are looking for, like my darning plate, are there reputable part shops, online, that we can get replacements? I want something that I can cover the feed dogs with on my 66.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM

I wore out a perfectly good Pfaff industrial - yeah it WILL sew through the layers but I bent the needle shaft. If you can buy a $25 Japanese machine or two just keep parts around... I guess it depends on how much weight you are putting through at the same time you put the layers/bulk through the machine. I also learned to use ramps and let gravity help feed the machine. After the Pfaff died, I got an old Singer walking foot - that is what you want to sew on... At one point I had to do a 40X100 ft awning in my little space. I did it by using a ramp and a rolling cart and dropping it in folds on the floor in front of the machine. Everything was rolled up to get it into the space.

My toughest job was reproducing 2 WWII officer's tents with two awnings over the tents and one awning between the tents. I was allowed to research at the museum at Ft Knox, mircrofilm the pattern/blueprint. I did it according to plan. When it was set up two old vets paid me a very high compliment. They said they didn't think any of those were still around!!! I wish the guy that had me do them would have sent a picture of it for me to see the set up. It was set up at Ft Knox for an event. At that time I was using an old WWII Singer walking foot machine. The olive drab fabric was like sewing on a crayon. I had to keep cleaning the thing. I could have made lot of money doing those tents... It about killed me to do that project though. The chemicals were horrid on my system. Would you also believe there were absolutely NO SCRAPS when I was done.

If you don't have a ton to do just look around for an old 15 clone... Those are pretty tough and they are cheap.
Miriam, the stuff you do just amazes me!! :shock: :shock: Do you have pictures of those tents? My DH's cousin does Civil War reenactments, and maybe he and I could tackle making him a new tent. That would be sew cool!!! I'm thinking my 66-1 in treadle would be a great choice to sew it up. What do you think?