Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2010, 05:23 AM

Here is my latest purchase. Found this machine in a used furniture shop for $25.

The tension assembly doesn't look original. The motor is a Phaff motor. It was in a cabinet, but it was a recent cabinet from Sears. So I left the cabinet, didn't feel like carting it all the way back to South Texas.

The serial number is B1299706. I thought it was strange that there is no singer badge on it. Is that common? I am still so new to this stuff, not sure if this was a good buy or not. I did like the way it looked though. The condition is really good.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-72393.jpe   attachment-72394.jpe  
Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by quilt addict
Do you know where I would find the serial number on this old singer?
It's not a Singer; it's an old German transverse shuttle machine. I should know the maker (since I have one like it!),
Oh Miz Johnny, you have a beautiful collection of HC. Yes it was on there. I am sure there are not decals like that on it. But the case looks the same.

Is it worth $50?

Thanks for your opinion?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:32 AM

Do you know where I would find the serial number on this old singer?
It's not a Singer; it's an old German transverse shuttle machine. I should know the maker (since I have one like it!), but will have to think for a minute or two. I see the remnants of Cherub and Bluebird decals on the base. Some pictures of mine are in this album; page 2, I think:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...56070058DDTEnQ
Miz Johnny,
You have a wonderful collection. I really enjoyed looking at them. How long have you been collecting?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 AM

It's not a Singer; it's an old German transverse shuttle machine. I should know the maker (since I have one like it!), but will have to think for a minute or two.
Hengstenberg comes to mind.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:39 AM

Oh Miz Johnny, you have a beautiful collection of HC. Yes it was on there. I am sure there are not decals like that on it. But the case looks the same.

Is it worth $50?

Thanks for your opinion?
Really, only you can decide that!! But if it has a shuttle, bobbin, turns and appears likely to sew, it would be worth it to me. I like to sew on TS machines, they are very simple to use and repair (in my experience) is minimal. The downside is it's hard to find parts and needles may be hard to come by. There's a modern needle that works in a lot of the old German machines, not so well in the Singer Model 12.

I have far more machines than are on my Webshots; I'm just not organized enought to put them all on there!!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:45 AM

[quote=Miz Johnny]

Is it worth $50?

Really, only you can decide that!! But if it has a shuttle, bobbin, turns and appears likely to sew, it would be worth it to me. I like to sew on TS machines, they are very simple to use and repair (in my experience) is minimal.
Okay, it doesn't have the beautiful decals like yours. But it is similar to the one that I picked up for $10. I just loved the story on that one. I forgot where it was located, so waiting to hear back how far I have to drive to look at it.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 AM

Jackie,

If you get the answer to the question on which to buy I hope you share it. I have a hard time but succeeded this week in walking away from one.

I think you did well on your find.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by jackkip
Miz Johnny,
You have a wonderful collection. I really enjoyed looking at them. How long have you been collecting?
I've always had a few old machines around, but I've been "collecting"--with a vengeance--about 12 years. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 machines in this not-so-big house, not all of them worth keeping.
For the person who asked
". . .So do you buy every machine you get? If not, how do you deal with the feelings of passing on one and then later wishing you had bought it?

Next question, where do you store said machines? Do you actually use them or just display them? I am scared of years from now showing up on one of the hoarder shows with so many machines you can't walk in my house."

I used to buy darn near everything that floated my boat and I could afford. Then I began--too late--to become more selective. There's only one machine I REALLY regret, a Gold Medal (chainstitch) treadle, on sale for $62.50. It was early in my collecting, and I told myself I didn't need it. I've been kicking myself ever since. Hard. Twice a week.

Now the hard part. I AM in danger of "showing up on a hoarder show". I'm trying to regain control, which is much harder than losing it in the first place. I recently listed some of my treadles and electrics on a TOGA site, and when I'm done with next week's travel, I'll list what hasn't sold on craigslist.
I plan to keep most of my hand cranks, the electrics I really use, and the treadles I'm not yet willing to part with. Still a lot of machines.
Yes, I really use them. Even the ones in fabulous condition--they were built to be used, and I do. If I can't use them, I don't want to keep them.

Robin joined some of us at a TOGA in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. I understand she now has a complete treadle???
Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 AM

Is this an industrial?
No it is a Japanese made model of singer.[/quote]

Ah--cool! I like the design! Must be a more modern class 15.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 AM

TOGA ?