Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.

So which is it? Will kerosene ruin the decals??

Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

Thanks all
Sue - proud new owner of a not YET working vintage treadle
I ONLY clean my machines with sewing oil. It takes a bit of time, but it works. If you have difficultly removing oil and dirt build up or can't get something to move try using Tri-Flow. I don't take my machines apart to clean. Only the tension dial area since Singer show how to do that in their manuals. Just use Q-Tip with sewing oil to clean up those areas.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justtrish
Originally Posted by miriam
Ok Miriam.. I will now start hunting for a service manual.

Any excuse to buy another sewing machine related item... ;)
You might find a free one on line. I think I have posted some before. What machine is it - that 66?
It is a 191J.....

I will go and check out that link. Thanks Miriam
all I found was 306 & 401 and a bunch of industrial manuals.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 AM

[quote=Mollie'sMom]
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
OMG! These things really do work well!

Nancy
It has been a while since I used my ruffler, but from what I can remember, there is a way to set it to make a few stitches and then skip a few. This one came with my 500A and I have had it since 1962. Do you have instructions?
Maybe that was it for Nancy! I didn't think of that. I did plaiting yesterday along with gathers with my ruffler. The fabric get positioned differently. Thanks for helping out!!!

Nancy, You should double check to see if you were following directions for plaiting or gathering.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Sometimes you can find them free off the internet to download. Just have to hunt.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Just an asside to that, when I did mine I took LOTS of pictures. Every time I took a piece off I took a picture. I held the pcs up to where they went and took pictures, anything that would help when it came to putting it back together. Remember it might be days before you complete the job. Also, the pictures helped me remember what order I took them off, so it went a little smoother when reassembling. By the way, I did get stuck a couple of times and had it not been for the pictures I'd have been hurting. I did not have any manual or anything for the machine I took apart. Good Luck, you will have a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when done!!!!!
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.

So which is it? Will kerosene ruin the decals??

Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

Thanks all
Sue - proud new owner of a not YET working vintage treadle
Basically, everyone has his or her own way of doing it. For me it varies according to what I find inside a machine. If you are worried, you can use sewing machine oil to clean the decals. I figure take it apart if you can get it back together. Do a bit at a time. Keep a muffin pan around to collect parts. If you disassemble much you will need to have a service manual handy. So far, on MOST machines, I have given things a good cleaning without taking all that much apart. One machine may need a tension dis-assembly the next maybe not. On another a needle bar may need to be replaced. If it is really gummed up or rusted I can see that you might have to disassemble more or VERY carefully use a stronger solvent. I use an eyelash brush to get in the tight places. Some here recommend putting the machine on a towel or a disposable diaper. Let us see how it turns out!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:03 AM

You might find a free one on line. I think I have posted some before. What machine is it - that 66?
It is a 191J.....

I will go and check out that link. Thanks Miriam
all I found was 306 & 401 and a bunch of industrial manuals.

click on parent directory at top of page and look at instruction manuals ;)
Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

I love pictures but my camera seems to blur close up shots. I don't know if I have it set wrong or what. Drives me nuts. Great camera otherwise. I think you have a good idea though.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

my BIL says diesel fuel works as well as kerosene for cleaning a machine. I've not tried it.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Sometimes you can find them free off the internet to download. Just have to hunt.
Yes, I have found lots of free things online...

The link someone posted about the sewing machine book by: Rosamond C Cook,
at

www.archive.org

Has lots of free literature, etc
Old 09-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by DonnaC
I totally agree, Charlee! I keep looking for a great deal on one of those two models.... !
If you plan on doing free motion quilting then look for a Singer 15-90 or 15-91. The 15s do a better job of FM than do the 201s. Have fun hunting!
Donna, I agree with Monica if you are on the hunt for an e-machine, which I know you are, - but for the rest of you that want a treadle to free motion quilt with - find a 15-88! They come as treadles, never had a motor attached. I do all my free motion quilting with my 15-88!

Nancy
I have my eye on a 15 in a treadle base right now, no extras, and the straight leg cabinet needs work. I'd have to factor in gas money plus the asking price of $75. I'm still hemming and hawing trying to make up my mind. Is the performance pretty comparable to the electric 15s? I know I've mentioned before how much I like my 15-91.