Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.

So which is it? Will kerosene ruin the decals??

Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

Thanks all
Sue - proud new owner of a not YET working vintage treadle
Basically, everyone has his or her own way of doing it. For me it varies according to what I find inside a machine. If you are worried, you can use sewing machine oil to clean the decals. I figure take it apart if you can get it back together. Do a bit at a time. Keep a muffin pan around to collect parts. If you disassemble much you will need to have a service manual handy. So far, on MOST machines, I have given things a good cleaning without taking all that much apart. One machine may need a tension dis-assembly the next maybe not. On another a needle bar may need to be replaced. If it is really gummed up or rusted I can see that you might have to disassemble more or VERY carefully use a stronger solvent. I use an eyelash brush to get in the tight places. Some here recommend putting the machine on a towel or a disposable diaper. Let us see how it turns out!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by miriam
Hi - can someone help me out with this machine? I know I am supposed to be cutting back, but it is $25 and neat looking - I'm just not sure what model Singer it is... and is it worth getting?
http://rochester.craigslist.org/art/2593482874.html
OOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a Singer 503. I gave one to my DIL and she LOVES it. YES it is worth getting. It is the same as a Singer 403 inside. The 403 and the 503 are like the 401 and 500 but they require disks for everything. I think the 403 and the 503 have a bit better stitch width control but that is my dirty little secret. Make sure they include the zig zag disk and any others you can get your hands on.
Thanks - I sent an email - Hope they respond!
And if you need any disks I have found someone who sells them. Has an awesome inventory of them. :)
I am interested in disks
Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
OMG! These things really do work well!

After seeing a demo at the TOGA this weekend, I got brave enough to play with my Singer ruffler today.

These are the best! This is the prettiest gathering I have ever done.
Wow Monica good for you! I tried to use the ruffler a while back and got 'flat' spots. It would ruffle for a while - skip with no ruffling - then ruffle again! I wonder if it was operator error or a bad ruffler? I will have to try again!

Nancy
It has been a while since I used my ruffler, but from what I can remember, there is a way to set it to make a few stitches and then skip a few. This one came with my 500A and I have had it since 1962. Do you have instructions?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:34 AM

I would jump on that Singer 503 so FAST - that's my dream machine!!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Monica, I am looking at a Singer 15...it has a potted motor, so is it a 15-91? The listing on ISMACS says Gear Driven for a -91. Thanks!!
Plus this appears to be a blackside 15-91. I'm crossing my fingers I get it...only 35 minutes to go on the auction!! :-)
Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DonnaC
I would jump on that Singer 503 so FAST - that's my dream machine!!
Yeah, with all the disks... attachments and a really good table. I think I would still look it over to see if everything is in working order - nah - if all else fails a good parts machine is cool to have around.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 AM

I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.

Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

Thanks all
Basically, everyone has his or her own way of doing it. For me it varies according to what I find inside a machine. If you are worried, you can use sewing machine oil to clean the decals. I figure take it apart if you can get it back together. Do a bit at a time. Keep a muffin pan around to collect parts. If you disassemble much you will need to have a service manual handy. So far, on MOST machines, I have given things a good cleaning without taking all that much apart. One machine may need a tension dis-assembly the next maybe not. On another a needle bar may need to be replaced. If it is really gummed up or rusted I can see that you might have to disassemble more or VERY carefully use a stronger solvent. I use an eyelash brush to get in the tight places. Some here recommend putting the machine on a towel or a disposable diaper. Let us see how it turns out!

Oh Miriam...hellloooo

I like the muffin tin idea.

My biggest issue when reassembling is that darn washer behind the handwheel....

Is there a right way to put the handwheel back on? I can't seem to get the clutch to engage properly on my newly cleaned 191J....
Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 AM

And if you need any disks I have found someone who sells them. Has an awesome inventory of them. :)[/quote]

Would you share this person with me as I need some disks? Kathie
Old 09-14-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Any thoughts on this one? I called about it - I can't tell a lot from the picture, but I've wanted a toy Singer. What should I be looking for- and what do they go for? Ive seen them go for a lot more on eBay,and that's not counting the shipping. I think it looks like a centennial one.
http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2593341424.html
I'd get it if I were there. I have no idea about value in your neck of the woods, but it looks reasonable in mine.

I'm meeting her at one - unless it looks like there's a big problem I'm going to own a baby Singer!
You have cool toys can I come over to play?
Sure - anytime!
Well, I didn't have any problems - we met in a parking lot at a local shopping plaza. Just mover her MIL to a nursing home and was selling her things. Here are some pictures of my newest machine - good thing it's small, I'm running out of room!
Cute...
Old 09-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justtrish

Thanks all

Oh Miriam...hellloooo

I like the muffin tin idea.

My biggest issue when reassembling is that darn washer behind the handwheel....

Is there a right way to put the handwheel back on? I can't seem to get the clutch to engage properly on my newly cleaned 191J....
I don't really know. I do know that sometimes they work. Then sometimes you have to flip things around until they do. A service manual should tell I suppose.