Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
I have an amazing story for yall. After we lost Mama in January, I had decided to start being a better person in my own weird way and started making the lap quilts to donate for door prizes monthly at our local country music show. They have been quite a hit. This month would have been my mama's birthday, so I used fabrics strictly from her stash, that nobody wanted so I have it, and made a quilt, using a pic that she had drawn, that I found with this stack of fabrics. You know how we all have our quilt fantasies and think ahead and have the fabrics in groups. Well, our older daughter was home this weekend, and said I was being mean for not letting her have that quilt. I said, well, it is going for a door prize in honor of your grandma's birthday, so your one shot is to win it. The tickets are the two part ones, and she got there after us, so her ticket number was not even close to ours, and she sat in the seat next to me. This girl was her grandma's favorite, and it was not a secret either. Back on track now, the band had played Last Date, one of my mom's faves, and made our daughter cry. Then came the door prizes, and out of 250 numbers, my daughter won the quilt. Some things are meant to be, and when I explained the situation to the program director, and she agreed. How cool for that to happen. My daughter said that her grandma took care of that, and she slept under the quilt last night, and it was the first thing she loaded in her car when she got ready to leave.

Sounds like Grandma wanted her to have the quilt too.
Melinda, Nice quilts!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Here is the latest, a Singer 48K that I found in a second hand shop on Friday. It's a bit muckier than I usually go for, but I'm a sucker for transverse shuttles, and the decals are too pretty to pass by.

Now that's a machine to drool over! Looking forward to seeing the photos of the machine after you have finished cleaning this beauty up. Gorgeous!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Miriam...your GKs remind me of my helpers "back in the day" when I made wedding cakes, catered and did flowers. Mostly, they just licked the icing bowls but one wedding cake had a single little person's finger swipe in the icing (which I repaired,, of course). Both my daughter and I thought that we had the cake out of little hand's reach. That DGD is now almost 27 and PG. Wonder if she or my daughter will share the story with the child when she gets7 years old or so. I know that they both remember it because it came up each time one of us made a cake when we were all together. Enjoy these days with your young helpers, they (kids and the days) are so precious and it won't be long until they start making you a Great Grandmother. Of course, we already know that you are "great".

Laura, I'll take a machine like yours, please, but with orange (fruit not color) blossoms. You are soooo clever. I still don't know what a TOGA is.

Charlee, keep getting better but don't overdo. Take time to rest when you get weary.

Melinda, what a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

Ha Ha - must have wanted the wedding cake to herself... LOL
My youngest son one time put a bite in every doughnut on a tray at a party - he was 18 months old. A tray of doughnuts went home with us... I wonder if his son will do something like that.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 PM

There must be something about being 18 months old that causes them to do stuff like that. That's how old the icing taster was and when one of my sisters was that age, we were at my cousin's for dinner. She came to the living room to announce dinner and we chatted for a minute, never noticing that my little sister was absent. She had slipped into the dining room and downed 6 (fortunately weak) Manhattans. Guess who slept all afternoon?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
Miriam...your GKs remind me of my helpers "back in the day" when I made wedding cakes, catered and did flowers. Mostly, they just licked the icing bowls but one wedding cake had a single little person's finger swipe in the icing (which I repaired,, of course). Both my daughter and I thought that we had the cake out of little hand's reach. That DGD is now almost 27 and PG. Wonder if she or my daughter will share the story with the child when she gets7 years old or so. I know that they both remember it because it came up each time one of us made a cake when we were all together. Enjoy these days with your young helpers, they (kids and the days) are so precious and it won't be long until they start making you a Great Grandmother. Of course, we already know that you are "great".

Laura, I'll take a machine like yours, please, but with orange (fruit not color) blossoms. You are soooo clever. I still don't know what a TOGA is.

Charlee, keep getting better but don't overdo. Take time to rest when you get weary.

Melinda, what a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing with us.
Likewise, Melinda. Gma wantet her to have that quilt. A TOGA is a Treadleon Gathering and Academy - a potluck of member's of the Treadlon list and anyone else who likes people powered sewing machines.

Thanks everyone for the kind words on my fake badge machine. Next time I make one, I'll photograph the steps! Laura
Old 09-24-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
Charlee, glad to hear you are doing better. I had wondered where you had gone off to. You take care of yourself.

Miriam, those gk's are cuties. They look like great little workers.

Cute faked machine logo, Laura.

I have an amazing story for yall. After we lost Mama in January, I had decided to start being a better person in my own weird way and started making the lap quilts to donate for door prizes monthly at our local country music show. They have been quite a hit. This month would have been my mama's birthday, so I used fabrics strictly from her stash, that nobody wanted so I have it, and made a quilt, using a pic that she had drawn, that I found with this stack of fabrics. You know how we all have our quilt fantasies and think ahead and have the fabrics in groups. Well, our older daughter was home this weekend, and said I was being mean for not letting her have that quilt. I said, well, it is going for a door prize in honor of your grandma's birthday, so your one shot is to win it. The tickets are the two part ones, and she got there after us, so her ticket number was not even close to ours, and she sat in the seat next to me. This girl was her grandma's favorite, and it was not a secret either. Back on track now, the band had played Last Date, one of my mom's faves, and made our daughter cry. Then came the door prizes, and out of 250 numbers, my daughter won the quilt. Some things are meant to be, and when I explained the situation to the program director, and she agreed. How cool for that to happen. My daughter said that her grandma took care of that, and she slept under the quilt last night, and it was the first thing she loaded in her car when she got ready to leave.
Melinda, what a story! Grandma had a say in who got that quilt for sure! This story gave me a lump in my throat, thank you for sharing!

Laura, I love the machine, the name, the decals! You had all of us wanting one of those 15's! You got all of us on that one! Great job! And yes, isn't it fun to have a machine that says "made in Occupied Japan?" I also have one of those, it is a little 99 clone! That is a nice piece of history, but you are going to blow someone's mind in the future trying to figure out that machine!

Miriam, I love the grandkids! What beautiful red curly hair they have! Those kids could do a vintage sewing machine commercial! So cute!

Nancy
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Charlee - Really sorry to hear you have been ill. Relax, take it easy, get everyone else to do the work... I know I'm saying the same as everyone else... I'll be praying they get the treatment right first time.

Miriam - Absolutely love the grandchildren. Send them round here, there are a couple of machines that need cleaning.

Here is the latest, a Singer 48K that I found in a second hand shop on Friday. It's a bit muckier than I usually go for, but I'm a sucker for transverse shuttles, and the decals are too pretty to pass by.
Wow, Muv, what a beautiful machine!

Nancy
Old 09-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

I made a stupid tutorial of that stupid bag and the stupid pictures did not turn up - I'm going to post one of the non existent pics and see if it comes up here. [ATTACH=CONFIG]365383[/ATTACH]
comes up here??? This has NOTHING to do with pic size
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt square bag tutorial pics 013.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	365383  
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Billy, are you sure you're reducing your stock? I was just on Craigslist. A seller in Ludington has a pair of dirty black Singers in a garage. One has a cabinet, one is very ornate and one has a medallion, I think. No price listed. I'd hardly know what to offer him.
Traverse City has a Singer 6233 for $75. Does the feed drop on that one?

Ludington is where I grew up, that's so neat