Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st >

New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st

New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st

Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 AM

I am running behind on my blocks. I only have one of #1 done so far. But October is not over yet. I spent twice as much time trying to choose my materials so the colors blend well. I really like how my first #1 block looks. I just hope my overall works well. I stopped by my Wal-mart to look for some flannel for another WIP and found some pretty stuff on sale. So I bought a few more yards of material I hope will blend well with what I have. Fun times ya'll! I will try to take and post pictures when I have finished my #1 blocks. I have enjoyed seeing the ones that have posted so far.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 PM
amh

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
amh - - - just beautiful. I'm working on mine too. The #1 block gave me a migraine, so went back to #0. I might have a bazillion of the 0 block in mine. Ya never know - - - - -

Jane
Thanks Jane. I have made a NYB with all the same block previously and really like it, so if you have a bazillion of 0 block it will still be beautiful.

amh
Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 PM

Hi all. Well it took me the better part of today to work on my blocks. I took the suggestion of 'someone' previously in this thread and for block #1, I cut out enough to make 5 blocks. Good thing too, because one of em is wonkie! I am simply thrilled that I am up to date on this, yea! Pictures to come after I tackle that learning curve.....
Old 10-28-2012, 09:34 AM

I love the greens and browns in your block! Are you taking these colors all through the quilt?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:21 PM

Default My block1 of NYB

Today was a laid back rainy day! I brought my sewing machine, iron, and fabrics into the kitchen using the breakfast bar for sewing so I could enjoy the fireplace.

I had a few of my basket blocks to catch up in for another BOM. After doing those I brought out my NYB.
You should of seen DH's face when I had all the counters covered with fabrics. I put this combination with that one and back and forth before I made my decision.

Teal was the color for this block. I have attached the photo, this is Block 1, and the only one I have finished.
I was amazed at how complex it was and was intimidated. I went into Ripit ripit mode twice. The first time was because I did not put right sides together, the second was smoothing out the curve. The curve gets me everytime.

I still messed up where I wanted which fabrics on the points but if I don't tell, you won't know, right?

Even though there is more piecing in this block I did it! 3 more to go.
Time to run, time to cook up some comfort food for dinner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	New York Beauty bk1.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	373071  
Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by rainagade View Post
Today was a laid back rainy day! I brought my sewing machine, iron, and fabrics into the kitchen using the breakfast bar for sewing so I could enjoy the fireplace.

I had a few of my basket blocks to catch up in for another BOM. After doing those I brought out my NYB.
You should of seen DH's face when I had all the counters covered with fabrics. I put this combination with that one and back and forth before I made my decision.

Teal was the color for this block. I have attached the photo, this is Block 1, and the only one I have finished.
I was amazed at how complex it was and was intimidated. I went into Ripit ripit mode twice. The first time was because I did not put right sides together, the second was smoothing out the curve. The curve gets me everytime.

I still messed up where I wanted which fabrics on the points but if I don't tell, you won't know, right?

Even though there is more piecing in this block I did it! 3 more to go.
Time to run, time to cook up some comfort food for dinner.
Really pretty! Love your colors
Old 10-28-2012, 11:21 PM

Renea...........your block turned out absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to see more of your work.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:22 AM

Holy Cow! I just found this thread and I'm in!!! Need to get the first two done to catch up!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Your fabrics look great!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ellenmg View Post
Holy Cow! I just found this thread and I'm in!!! Need to get the first two done to catch up!!!
Hey, block 0 was for October, Block 1 for November so you are right on schedule until Thursday....

thanks for the compliments. You have no idea how much i appreciate them. So Thank you, thank you.

I remember PP'ing a block many years ago and could not understand it.
Now I find that PP'ing the sections with all the points are the easiest. Those curves still get the best of me.
This is my first PP'ing project and I think I have it now. I have wanted to make a NYB forever.

Last edited by rainagade; 10-30-2012 at 02:12 PM.