Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with Janome 8050 >

Problem with Janome 8050

Problem with Janome 8050

Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 AM

I think that 3 times the charm. bring it back - and if that doesn't work, maybe get your $$ back or upgrade it if you can. also maybe go on the janome site and see if you can log a complaint or get help.,
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 AM

i'm going to call Janome today. I hate to return it if i don't have to.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:42 AM

Just a wild guess here . . . but are you using a knee lift, on that machine? Reason I ask is that when I first got my Janome (different model), it was the first time I'd used a knee lift. Every now and then, I'd accidentally push against it . . . and the machine didn't like sewing, with the presser foot slight raised!

Also, try matching your bobbin thread to your top thread. Another tip is to change the type and/or size needle you're using.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 AM

nope no knee lift. I was using superior so fine thread in the top and bottom and just changed the needle. I called Janome today and she said "I don't know why it's getting stuck in reverse like that I would return it" so it must be pretty bad if Janome says to return it LOL. Hopefully this one will work because this is getting embarrassing to keep returning machines and I just want it to work. I'm crossing my fingers that this one will work.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 PM

I have the Janome 8050. I've had it since January and have had no major problems with mine. I use regular Coats & Clark thread most of the time. This is a great beginner machine. When I bought it, I hadn't done any sewing since middle school home-ec 15 years ago, and I didn't want to spend too much on a machine because I didn't know if I would use it much. I had this baby up and running within an hour. I've used it nearly every day since! I love love love this machine! As an added bonus, you can still buy cheap Kenmore sewing machine feet used on Ebay very cheaply that fit perfectly at a steal compared to the prices charged for the Janome brand attachments. I've used it on denim and for quilting and with several layers of cotton fabric and batting or interfacing. The tension does tend to get a bit finicky with thin fabrics and knits... It will still work with these fabrics (with the right kind of needle, of course), but you have to make absurdly minor adjustments to the tension dial to get the tension exactly right. I don't think this is an uncommon problem with lower-end machines. Frankly, I think this machine is a great value. The only thing missing is the cute satin heart stitch. Ah well... maybe someday!

To me it sounds like there may have been a problem with the entire shipment of this model at your local Hancocks. Maybe try calling the company?