A machine for my wife >

A machine for my wife

A machine for my wife

Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Default store near goshen in

i forgot to put the website in my post ...sorry

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Goshen-...eviewContainer
Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 AM

I must agree with Pattypurple. Picking out a machine for a local place that offers classes is just a great thing. When I am still a beginning quilter, my mom bought my first machine a Bernette about $600. More importantly my local shop is wonderful. A husband and wife own the shop, and the staff is just as nice. They offered classes and guided me in how to use my machine. For whatever reason I had a hard time learning how to load my bobbin. I must have gone back to the shop four or five times. It was definately me, not my machine. Finally success. My point is, the shop is a resource for me. Learning about the best thread to use, or if I'm stuck on a project and need advice.

What a thoughtful gift. Good luck in your search.

Patty
Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 AM

I love my Featherweight. I paid $275.00 for it in an original case. It is white and was made in 1961. Do make sure that your wife does not want any bells and whistles because this one does not have them.

Originally Posted by KnittingPlatypus View Post
So I am one who tends to get my wife something that is thoughtful and quality for christmas. I have done some research which lead me to this sight. The last couple of years off and on my wife has hinted at getting a sewing machine. And this christmas I have the ability to do that. From what I have found its a good investment to go with a vintage Singer Featherweight. I figured the best way to test this is to ask a forum, which is much wiser in the ways of the sewing if what I found is a good idea or not. Also any feed back of what would be a good price to pay for a machine like this would be great. I thank you all in advance for your advice.

Best,

Last edited by topstitch; 12-16-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 AM

I agree. I think you wife would like some input on the machine you are going to buy. It will probably last her forever. I have had five Husqvarner Viking machines. They very from 300.00 to 6,O00.00 and considered One of top machines. I bought my GD one for Christmas. They offer free lessons.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
Do you have a brother??? LOL
or maybe a singer? LOL more!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
Do you have a brother??? LOL
This was my first thought too!!! And if he cooks, even better!

But seriously although I have not read all the posts here and someone may have already suggested this, I truly think it is important to buy local no matter the make of the machine because you want to be able to get it serviced/fixed if need be. I wouldn't want to have to send my machine off somewhere to do that. Of course, if there is a sewing machine repair guy/shop in your area who works on all or most machines, then before buying from somewhere out of your area, I would inquire if he does/can fix the machine I hoped to buy. I would do this if I were buying a used machine also. I do like the idea of a hand written by you "Christmas gift card" given to her on Christmas morning (if you want to surprise her, that is) offering to take her to the local shop to check out the machines available and buy what she wants. Good luck and bless you for trying to make her happy.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Can't go wrong with a FW ----- and, what a great guy you are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Brother's are also good and easy to operate - plus you can zig-zag, etc.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I looked on CL in your area - nothing there. Lots around here though.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 PM

I don't own one, but it seems that a Featherweight is a machine for those that have multiple machines and want a vintage machine because it can be fun and an addition to their collection.

For a machine that will be a gift and a first one for the recipient, please take her to some sewing shops and let her try out various models in your price range. She will enjoy the chance to choose what she likes, and also get a chance to try out the features offered. So much better than getting something she may find a challenge.