Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do most of you hand bind or machine bind your binding >

Do most of you hand bind or machine bind your binding

Do most of you hand bind or machine bind your binding

Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM

Me, too! And if I had to hand stitch, they'd never get bound.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM

I find hand sewing the binding on the back of my quilts my final step in completing a quilt a very calming phase for me.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 PM

I know what you mean about mental blocks. I'm working on blocks for my grand daughters quilt. I love the blocks, the quilt will look great when done, but the main fabric, which I paid full price for in a lqs, is so "ravelly" (is that a word?) that I am putting off working on it. It's been two weeks now and I have to have it done before June. I want to finish it, I just don't want to use that fabric anymore - but am too far into the quilt to change course!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

I machine front and hand back.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM

Machine the front and hand stitch the back. I find it very relaxing to hand sew, and really enjoy it. Love the feeling when I'm working with the fabric, stitching away!!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 PM

Red face

This is the way I do my binding too, love the hand stitching!!!
Originally Posted by Jeanniejo View Post
I machine stitch the binding to the front and turn the binding to the back and hand stitch. Putting the binding on is one of my favorites because it means my quilt is finally done
Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by amh View Post
I love to hand stitch the binding. It is relaxing and just fun. However, I have not stitched the binding on a quilt for a long time. My mom, now 89, loves to stitch the binding as much as I do, and can hardly wait to receive the two quilts that are all ready to go when I visit her this Easter weekend. Mom has trouble threading the needles now, so I thread as many needles as she will need (usually extras), and thread them through a piece of fabric. When she needs another length of thread all she needs to do is pull it out, knot it and away she goes. Maybe she can't thread the needle, but her stitches are still just perfect. Can't wait to see her smile when she gets her latest project. She'll have them both done in no time and will be awaiting more. As long as she wants to do it, it's good with me.

amh
This is such a great arrangement! It is good for you and very, very good for her! We have two older ladies who make lap/baby quilts for us--the one lady is retired and her mom helps her--I think that the lady who is in her 70's sews the quilts together and her mom ties them. I'm amazed at how much they get done. I think in 2012 they sent us over 80 lap/baby quilts to give away!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 PM

Oh how I wish I could make a neat and pretty machine sewn binding. I do the machine to the front and hand sew them back. I have tried it by machine on both sides and it looks like a mess! It really makes my hands hurt to do bind by hand.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:39 AM

Is there a tutorial on how to put a binding on entirely by machine? I hand sew mine, after sewing the binding on to the front. Every time I have tried to put it on by machine, I have not been happy with the finished product. Thanks
Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 AM

Since I discovered the tuts on glue, my wash and wear quilts get stitched onto the back, then glued down and macnine stitched to the front. Special quilts, I still stitch to the front and hand stitched to the back.