Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's glue basting - stiff as board >

Elmer's glue basting - stiff as board

Elmer's glue basting - stiff as board

Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

If you hold the glue bottle as high as you can, the glue will be as thin as a hair when it gets to the batting. I write my name or other words in jumbo letters. It's fun! A workout for your arms too!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM

I did wiggly steams then used my hand to spread it out. It wasn't too stiff. Matter a fact I showed it to a group before I had finished quilting it and no one noticed that it was kinda stiff, I had to tell them. After it was finished and I washed it, all came out and it is beautiful. Love that Elmers glue.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 AM

I just tried gluing a test sample for the first time. Sandwich is a little stiff but my Brother Innovis 1250D sews right through very nicely. I'm counting on the stiffness going away after washing. I also wonder about thinning the glue sufficient to be sprayed using a household spray bottle from Ace or Walmart. It it still holds nicely after being thinned what a bargain that would be. Elmers is very inexpensive at Walmart so if thinning and spraying works it will make the method not only easier but more accessible and very, very inexpensive. Has anyone done it like that?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 AM

Did I mention that I would thin the glue with water and put it in the spray bottle? That is what I mean by thinning. Okay, has anyone tried this yet?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 AM

I have been going kaliscope blocks. I cut the part I want just alittle bit bigger. I put the pin in all eight layers to line them up. Then starting at the bottem put just a dap of glue working my way up. Heat set. Do this in as many spots as needed. Cutting eight layers is so easy and nice. Then when ready to sew pull them apart.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 PM

When I was a kid, mom taught us to control the amount of glue used by dipping one end of a toothpick into a small amount of glue and rubbing the toothpick on the item to be glued. Would that help anyone?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:50 PM

I believe Michael's sells screw-on tops for bottles and these have very tiny holes in them. Try them, maybe.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:56 AM

I just purchased the Lowe Cornell 724 bottles and tips from the Walmart site for $6.49 with tax and free pick up at the store.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 AM

I just used the bottle the glue came in. I didn't have to apply much pressure. I just opened the tip, held the bottle upside down and wiggled. It's the saying a little goes a long way. If it helps you get an idea how much to use, for a twin quilt, I used 1 bottle for the quilt top, and quilt backing both. Glued the quilt back on one day and a day later, glued the quilt top. No stress and very little mess.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 AM

I don't use any "speciaL" tips,or thin the glue down,as any water added will slow down drying time. I just hold up the bottle about 12 to 18 inches above and drizzle fast,making a grid. I use cotton batting always,but I have wondered about the poly batting absorbing too much glue.Anyone have any results with poly? Thank you to whoever tried this method the first time!!