Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't Stop Shopping >

Can't Stop Shopping

Can't Stop Shopping

Old 08-20-2013, 04:23 AM

I LOVE fabric. Love to feel it, smell it, cut it, sew it! I will buy fabric anywhere if it appeals to me. Also have a friend who hates scraps and doesn't want to use them so she gives them to me. I will buy at garage sales, thrift shops, estate sales, quilt shops, Walmart, mill end stores, wherever, and I have quite a bit inherited from my mother. This year, however since my cupboards were crammed so tightly I decided I would only use from my stash. I have made 7 quilt tops this summer and bought nothing. I can now put back what I didn't use without skinning my knuckles trying to stuff it in. Since I have reached the age of 80 I need to continue to use what I have and only buy what I absolutely have to have. I did buy some thread and a couple of charm packs this year. I am enjoying using my stash and "making do" if I don't have exactly what I think I would like and I really like the quilt tops I have done this year.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 AM

My name is Jude & I'm a fabriholic. I don't suffer from it though, I embrace it.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 AM

A word to the wise ....or....what i learned buying fabric.
Don't go out and buy a ton of prints, you'll end up like me and not have any two fabrics that look good together. For now if i don't have a plan I don't buy, If i have a weak moment it has to be a blender. Fabric is moving me out of my sewing room and into an empty bedroom.
RE: Joanns 12.99 fabric. I get offering different levels of quality but their 12.99 is not any better than the 10.00 stuff at the QS and with their network and distribution they should be offering that fabric for far less....shame on you Joanns!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
A word to the wise ....or....what i learned buying fabric.
Don't go out and buy a ton of prints, you'll end up like me and not have any two fabrics that look good together. For now if i don't have a plan I don't buy, If i have a weak moment it has to be a blender. Fabric is moving me out of my sewing room and into an empty bedroom.
RE: Joanns 12.99 fabric. I get offering different levels of quality but their 12.99 is not any better than the 10.00 stuff at the QS and with their network and distribution they should be offering that fabric for far less....shame on you Joanns!
Oh I totally agree about Joann's. I do like it when they put their country classic solids on sale for 50% off though. Again, great for charity quilts. If I'm making something special for family or good friends (or myself - that happens once in a while), I'll visit the local quilt shop and pick out something pretty
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 AM

Yep, I search on CL every morning after I finish on the Quilting Board. It's an illness.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:30 AM

The popularity of threads talking about our addiction says it all. Love fabric, love sales. Yard sales are especially good since you get great prices and usually get to talk to another quilter.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 AM

I love a good find!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 AM

Hi my name is Pat and I am a fabric-holic. I am trying to recover this year. I do buy some things as I need it to fill in for projects. I am trying to sew mostly from my stash this year. I am doing ok. I have made several quilts almost exclusively from my stash. I also quit buying fabric for my backs I piece them from what I have. I am not sure how long I will be able to stay on the wagon with my fabric buying moratorium. I have fallen off a couple of times. I even and making 2 customer quilts mostly from my stash.
I make several charity quilts a year too. I just make whatever I decide sounds interesting at the time. I finish it and eventually something comes up to donate it to. I do all kinds of different charities.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I am in denial but, I have way too much fabric. But hopefully by the end of winter it will be tamed down to the normal stash.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:24 AM

My name is Judy and I am a fabri-holic and intend to stay one!!!!