Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is the general public really that ignorant? >

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 PM

Unless a person is into quilting and/or sewing or any other type of crafting, I don't think they realize the cost of fabric and supplies. And, in many cases they think it's your hobby so why would you charge for your time?
Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM

I have only been quilting for a few years and wow...what a shocker on how much a quilt cost. I was one of those who told a friend that I would love for her to make me one....she was smart and said...no but I will teach you. Here is what you need...and gave me a list of materials...that was my start...and wow I was shocked about how much a wall hanging cost...but I have been hooked ever since. I have also learned to shop for materials on sale. I paid ful price for everything. She provided the cutting board, rotary cutter etc that day, the next day I went out and bought my own. Thankful for my friend...
Old 08-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Those that do not sew or craft do not realise the time involved. That means buying the fabrics - and we all know how much time that takes to match fabrics - the pre-washing, ironing, cutting, sewing blocks, placing blocks and moving them around to get it just "right" and sewing them together, sandwiching, pinning/basting, quilting and binding.

They only think of the sewing part hence to ignorance.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Has he considered adding turned seam rippers? Rippers are being promoted as useful for opening packages and envelopes, removing labels from cans, clipping coupons, removing mats from pet hair, clearing out vacuum cleaner rollers, all sorts of things besides sewing functions. I'd love a beautiful wooden seam ripper and would probably buy them as gifts for special quilting friends as well. Just a thought.
We have a man here who makes turned seam rippers. He has ones with a thin ripper part (don't know what that's called) and a thicker ripper part. He gets $10 each. Another wood item is a "presser" for using instead of your fingers...they do save fingernails. :-) And remember that quilters can also use ruler storage, so those could be made out of pretty woods. Mine is out of PA cherry! :-) Good luck on your endeavors.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:20 PM

But he can buy one at WAlmart for $25!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:39 PM

Before I started quilting myself about 20 years ago, I wanted a baby blanket made. I bought the fabric for both front and back, and the batting. She charged me $35 to sew the 4 seams and tie it every 6 inches. It became a very loved blanket and worth every dime.

Yep, I could have gotten another blanket cheaper. I never saw another of that particular fabric. When he talks of his childhood, he mentions his favorite dino blanket. I think that $35 is some of the best money I've spent.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 PM

I agree. Someone at work just asked me to make a memory quilt for her daughter who just grad from nursing school. I told her it would be at least $200...we'll see. Love your Cav, Shelbie, we've had 2, one left. Best dogs in the world!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM

I don't think it is always a matter of ignorance. everyone has a limit in their minds of what they will spend for a particular thing.
Suppose this man wanted to do something special for his 4 GKs. In his mind he figures he can afford $75 each. When you tell him your price he knows he just can't do it. doesn't mean that you are over-charging or that he is cheap, it just means that price is above his comfort level.
My DDs and I attend a couple "nice" craft fairs every year. we enjoy looking at the beautiful things others make. we rarely buy anything. The prices are just to high for us. Does not mean we don't appreciate the quality of the work or feel it's not worth the asking price. We just do not feel right spending say $100+ for a wreath or 50 for a light made from a wine bottle.
personally, I wouldn't spend $1500-2000 for a quilt. Even though I know the cost and work that goes into one, I would not/could not spend that much. On the other hand, I have a friend that has a quilt made for each of her children when they marry. she doesn't sew or quilt but wants her kids to have an "heirloom". why? she always wanted one of her grandmother's quilts but she never got one. It's important to her that her kids have what she never did. she pays what her quilter asks without batting an eye.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:19 PM

I never knew exactly how much it costs to make a quilt, since I buy an make it in different batches, so I have decided to keep a log on each quilt I make, including the pattern price, fabric, batting, quilting. I won't even put in the labor, but I am so curious to see the final total. I only have two quilts that I have started this, and I think I will make it a habit, even if it is just for my own knowledge.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:23 PM

Last year a friend of mine received a phone call about 3 weeks before Christmas asking her to please make a Lord Calverts quilt for the caller's Dad. Caller couldn't understand why it couldn't be done by that time period. My friend and I are still laughing about that one.