Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is the general public really that ignorant? >

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Old 08-30-2013, 03:02 AM

Default Is the general public really that ignorant?

I received a request to make 4 twin size quilts, 50x80. My daughter sent him to me so I assumed he understood what quilts are all about. I took about 10 minutes to write up a quote of $190 each and sent it out. He came right back to me with "No thanks, I have a quote already at $75". Really? $75? Who makes a twin size quilt for $75? I can't hardly get the fabrics and batting for that much. Was my quote too high?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 AM

What?! Are you kidding?!! That's a conservative estimate. He just wants a "freebie." I experienced the same thing when "friends" asked me to make a quote for a wedding cake. After sending an estimate, I never heard from them again. These people have no idea what's involved in the making of a quilt -- gathering fabrics, cutting, piecing, layering, quilting. And he wants FOUR quilts?! Oops, only my venting.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

your quote was not too high- but there are still people out there who will make quilts for much less- different people shop differently, make differently and charge differently. I recently repaired a quilt for a lady who told me a lady at her church had made it for her & charged her $45- it was a 'lap quilt' about 45" x54" simple patchwork and tied- made out of 'recycled' cotton/'poly blend. I told her she got a good deal, repaired it, removed the ties and quilted it (I had to take the sandwich apart to do the repair) and did not charge her for the work I did- I just made *2* twin sized appliqued quilts which the agreed upon price for was $850 each... the person who gave him the $75 price might be using cotton blend sheets for backings, coupons/sales for batting, I've had lots of people tell me it costs more to have their quilt quilted than it did for making it. just remember (you often do get what you pay for) and it has nothing to do with 'ignorance' == some people just make much less expensive quilts than other people. and the 'general public' really has no idea what goes into a quilt -- they base their 'experience' with shopping at walmart- or where ever sells bedding- I've had people ask me- "why would I pay you $350 for a quilt I can get at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $80?" I tell them- you can not get one of 'my quilts' at Bed, Bath & Beyond but if that is what you would rather have that's ok- I own quilts from Pottery Barn- which I love- and know I could not make one like it for what I paid for it.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:21 AM

And this is exactly why I will not make quilts for others even if they offer to "pay" me. It's just so not worth my time and frustration plus trying to please someone for the princely sum of $75! My line is always "Thanks for thinking of me but it is just not something that I do as quilting is just my hobby".
Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 AM

Non-quilters are not ignorant. They are naive. I'm sure we've all had relatives who've posed the question "Would you make me a quilt?" Like it was just something we could snap our fingers and complete. Once you draw them in and inform them, they change their tune just a bit.

That man can get those $75 quilts. We all know they will not stand the test of time or be made with quality fabric. You may chose to inform him that there is a difference in quality, just as there's a difference in bedsheets or towels, all depending on where they're purchased from.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 AM

I'm doing my first craft fair in October, and am already bracing myself for the folks who think my prices are "too high". My lap quilts range from $40-$60, which is a STEAL, but I'm sure I'll hear plenty of the "but I can get one at Walmart for $25" remarks. I figure, let 'em go ahead and buy one at Walmart. The ones I've seen are poorly made, and constructed of thin fabrics. When it falls apart after 3 washings, they better not come crying to me! (And they SURE better not ask me to repair it! LOL!)
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 AM

I posted pics on another thread of a t-shirt quilt I made for a friend's son who was going away to college. After all was said and done, that quilt ended up being almost a king size quilt! She didn't pay me for it, but she has given me some furniture. For the quilt she gave me a whole library of Disney VHS tapes and a tv/vcr for my grandkids, a bookcase, a set of bunkbeds and an old washer and dryer for my daughter who moved out on her own. I think that I got the better end of the deal.....but I won't be making another t-shirt quilt that big again. Way more work than I thought it would be.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 AM

I think to some people, quilts are like afghans, there is always a little grandma somewhere who would be happy to make you one. lol.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure that the 2 quotes were not apples-to-apples. One or more of the quilting components - fabric/batting quality, pattern complexity, quilting quality etc. were different between the two.

At least you were wise enough to provide your quote it writing. I cringe every time I read a post where a custom quilt was made and then the customer didn't want to pay because it was too much. Putting everything in writing before you start is the way to go (along with a deposit!).
Old 08-30-2013, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I would have laughed and said you sure got a bargain price but not from me. He may have not gotten that price, just wanted to see if you'd come down to meet it. I've had people say but so and so makes quilts for $xx. I say then get Mrs. So and So to make yours, I won't. As far as general public being so ignorant? Yes and getting more so.