Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting substitute >

Batting substitute

Batting substitute

Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 AM

I wouldn't use felt either. It just won't hold up. Why even bother spending the money on fabric or the time piecing and quilting it? Like others said there are other better alternatives.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Anything and everything eventually needs to be washed. Body dander/oils and just plain dust will eventually cause the quilt to need laundering. Also people and pets do drool at some point taking a nap.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:49 AM

I agree that test washing is a good idea. I've taken apart old quilts (really old.....) and have found another quilt inside. In years past, people did that because they couldn't afford new.... Also, I think any blanket would work. It wouldn't have to be wool. Those are really cheap at thrift stores, etc.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 AM

Thank you ladies, I shall wash it and see what happens.... I do have some real wool felt come to think of it, in the shed of all places, in a box doing nothing.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chooklady View Post
Hello

I don't have the cash to buy 'proper' batting for the middle, I am going to use good quality felt material (not wool felt) as I have a load of it in a box from way back. Will this be ok to use, I wasn't planning on washing this quilt, it's for the sofa and not on a bed (no food or drink allowed anywhere near it!).
Sofa quilts get dirty.

Make darned sure your felt is washable. A lot isn't.

A better idea is to go to a rummage sale and pay $5 for a big comforter.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:24 PM

I use acrylic felt as batting for all sorts of things because it is stiffer. I've made placemats, table runners, bags, etc. And I wash them a lot. Nothing has ever fallen apart. Maybe it depends on the quality of the felt, maybe the density of the quilting. I have never used it for a quilt.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
Oh, when I was a kid, we used to buy wool blankets from Goodwill (second hand store) and use them for batting.
Goodwill is my answer too. My grandmother used to use old bedspreads as both backing and batting and it works fine. Not the chenille kind, but the fabric with some batting kind. I found a whole new roll of batting at Goodwill one for $2 so I try there now every so often....and their blankets are great too.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:18 AM

I made and quilted 2 rugs to match my 4PP set. I used a heavy towel for the back and a piece of poly felt for the batting (just to add some substance to the rug). Just washed one of them (just finished the second one). It washed up fine. Hung it on the deck rail to dry. Looks great, never know that it had been washed.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 AM

the softest quilt and I still have it after 25 years and many washings when I was learning to quilt I bought a mattress pad at Good Will for 25 cents and tied it and yes they make good quilt batts
Old 09-08-2013, 04:50 AM

jI would not trust any type of colored felt not to fade when washed and I don't think it is really sturdy enough for heavy washing, maybe for a wall hanging that won't be washed much, if at all. I would use sheet blankets if you can find them, light blankets, washed flannel, acrylic fleece, good used sheets of either cotton or flannel, etc. Check your thrift stores to see what you can find. Sometimes you can hit the jackpot.