Treadle?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:00 AM

I've paid as little as $25 for one in a cabinet -to as much as $300 for just the cabinet (parlor style). It's realy easy to find them around $50 - $150 range. I'll pay more for a machine with nicer decals, but I am after collector value, not just to use.

From the areas I've looked, Whites are quite easy to get - but be careful as the Vibrating Shuttles can be hard to find and spendy (Like $40) if they don't come with the machine. This is not a problem if you get a Rotary model (has round bobbin).

Some of the older less common ones can take needles that are difficult to obtain.

You can always ask here - but if you get a 1900 or newer Singer, or the White Rotary (or one made by White - there are a lot of them out there) then you are very unlikely to have any problems getting parts including needles, bobbins and shuttles (if you go with that type) Belts are easy to get no matter what.

Be warned, they are like potato chips - once you have one you'll want another, and then you'll find out about some of the more unusual types
Old 11-15-2013, 03:15 AM

Gosh. Thank each of you for such good information.

The one I found (haven't seen it in person) was priced at $350. They said it's a working machine. My gut tells me it's priced way too high. At least for this area. Hopefully, I can locate one that I'm comfortable with... then I can see if they are really like potato chips.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 AM

I paid $65.00 for mine. It was rusted and would not sew. After a lot of work, cleaning and trying, it sews beautifully. I even had the fun of teaching my 10 year old grandson how to treadle.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:43 AM

I only paid $ 40 for mine but had major cleanup/oiling etc...looks good now LOL, last winter I made a quilt on it and cross quilted it. I gave it to a childrens charity. I really enjoyed it. I had to raise the legs on wooden blocks because it sank too far into the carpeting and the treadle wouldn't make a complete round. I really enjoyed the pedaling LOL
Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 AM

I got my White Rotary for free, bought a New Home for $40 (which also came with several different shuttles and accessory boxes for many different machines), that I've had to sell (no space) and a Singer 66 treadle just like we used to have at home for my sister for $5. I saw a beautiful parlor cabinet for $200, but passed on because of lack of space and that particular model didn't have the lift like my White does when you open it up. All of them needed a new belt, but that's a simple and inexpensive fix. The $5 one also needed a slide plate, but still in the end ended up costing less than $20.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:27 PM

I have a Whie Rotary in 4 drawer cabinet and a Singer Red Eye 66 in a parlor cabinet, but have no space to use them right now. Maybe soon. Paid $150 each with lots of attachments and am looking forward to using them.
Both are in great shape and were in a house and well loved and taken care of.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:36 AM

Thanks again.
Each of you have confirmed my gut feeling.. $350 is too much for the machine.
I'll just keep my eyes open for another one.

This group is THE BEST!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
Thanks again.
Each of you have confirmed my gut feeling.. $350 is too much for the machine.
I'll just keep my eyes open for another one.

This group is THE BEST!
There may be some out there for $350 - $400 and maybe worth it. I've seen some exceptional nice ones here and there.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:43 AM

I got one from my Mother-in-law a few months ago. It was her mothers. It has been fun learning how to use it now that I have it cleaned up. I am making her a lap quilt on it as a thank you. But boy do my knees hurt when I am done. I have arthritic knees already and fibromyalgia too so I am not suprprised. But I still have fun using it!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 PM

I learned to sew on a treadle when I was a kid. They are easy to use and easy to maintain. So long as you keep them clean, seldom does anything go wrong. There is something soothing about the motion of the treadling. So long as your stitch is balanced and your tension is good, it is easy to make a quilt top on them and I have done so. In fact, it is easy to straight-line quilt on them and you can even free-motion quilt on a treadle. Yup. I've done it. If you cannot do it, get a Stoppax attachment, which is a 60-year old embroidery spring made in Denmark (from ebay, about $60). With attachments, you can do other stitches such as various zig zag and similar patterns.

I paid $75 for a Singer 127 treadle in a great cabinet and $0 for the most beautiful and pristine New Home, circa 1912, in a beautiful quarter oak cabinet. I meched both machine and both sew well. All I needed to add was belts, and that is not hard nor expensive.

A couple years ago, we lost all electricity (and heat) in a bad winter storm and it was out six days. I spent that time reading by the window and sewing on my treadle. I made a quilt, every step, on that treadle by the light of the window.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 11-16-2013 at 05:41 PM.