Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio? >

What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 AM

So far several are UFOs that i might or might not keep but only one (baby quilt) completed but not yet gifted. One of the UFOs I have definitely claimed as mine. The rest will eventually be gifted.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:59 AM

If I set out to make a quilt for someone, it goes to them, but if I just start making a quilt for no reason, it tends to live at our house. The exception is if the quilt begins to really speak to me while I'm making it. If the colors and design really start to remind me of someone, and I find myself thinking of them while I'm making it, I find I just have to give it to them.
The first example of this was when my youngest daughter was in 2nd grade. Her teacher was expecting a baby girl. I happened to be working on a Lucky Star quilt in batiks that leaned to girl colors. The top had been a garage sale rescue that I purchased for $5. The gal's MIL was a LQS owner, and I guess she lost interest in the project. I picked it up, finished it and LAQ'ed it at my friends. The entire time I was making this quilt, I was thinking of this teacher and that it just belonged to that new baby she was expecting. This is the biggest baby gift I've ever given someone other than my sisters. While I got the 'kit' for the top for a great price, the 3 yards of flannel for the back (it was throw size, not standard baby sized) and quilting cost me about $80.-
Recently I made a Right Turn Bag from the video tutorial on Anna Marie Horner's blog. I just happened to have some of her fabrics and unknowingly decided to use them on this project. The bag calls for foundation piecing strips to fusible batting and then embellishing the strips with ribbon and embroidery stitches. I spent hours and hours on this bag and even added a row of pockets to the lining and figured out how to put in a firm bottom. It was perfect, except it reminded me of my friend Alissa. When it was done, even my 11 year old daughter asked if the bag was for Alissa, because that's who the fabrics reminded her of. That was around Halloween, I tried to use it a couple of times, but it really didn't feel like my bag. I finally broke down and delivered it to her last week. She was ecstatic. That's why It had to go to her.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:03 AM

Something to think about...I know a older couple, she made 20 to 30 quilts a year to give away and unfortunately passed away suddenly. The husband did not have any of her quilts left except for a small wallhanging, but none for the bed.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sneed View Post
I don't think your plan of keeping one and giving one away will work. There just seems to always be someone, whether it be military, cancer patient, a new grandkid, niece, nephew...and then there is you.
I agreed with Sneed on this one - which means that you should plan a quilt or two just for you and refuse to give them away.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:53 AM

Oh my.... all your posts have really gotten me to thinking. I guess I can't live with the one for you, one for me plan. I make quite a few quilts and that would mean I'd have a ton for myself. And, I agree with many of you saying you enjoy seeing someone 'love' the quilt you've made. I feel that way, too. When I went to my niece's baby shower and she opened her gift.... another baby quilt.... she was so happy. She said, " I was hoping you'd make a quilt for this new baby". Of course I'd make this baby a quilt. I've made all my great nieces and nephews a quilt. And I have a lot of great nieces and nephews.

But the biggest reason I want some quilts is so I can watch them from heaven being divided up once I'm gone. My SIL and DD are already fussing about which one they want and my DH teases them saying he's going to sell them at a garage sale for $1 each. Quilting has been a tradition in my DHs family for generations and I do have a few that his grandmother made... his mother.... his aunt..... I need to add to that pile to pass on to my children.

Thanks for all your posts everyone..... I'm really glad I asked this question.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 AM

Up until last fall mine was about 1 out of 50. I changed that ratio in the fall to about 1 out of 10. I'm finding that I like that ratio, and it does keep me more motivated.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 AM

I'm not nearly as productive as most of you but I have one quilt, all of the others have gone to close family. It's a collection of 2 inch squares, quilted with simple cross hatch. Love the way it feels, and the bright multi-colors are always fun to look at. I enjoy giving quilts to loved ones, but I'm glad I kept one for myself.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 AM

I give away 95% of my quilts. I have plenty in the house, and the kids all have plenty.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 AM

I kept a few when I had my 1st longarm and it messed up on the bottom all the time.sometimes I would forget to look until it was off the frame.I use my rejects,lol-our Innova never messes up so I no longer get rejects.I may make myself a quilt now.my grands have lots of quilts already.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:31 AM

I have only kept those quilts that I wanted to and given away those quilts that had a specific person in mind.
Of the 14 quilts I have made- I kept 5. I have a couple of UFOs in production for practice. Not sure who will receive those or if I will keep one or all. Depends on the person and their preferences in color and style. I know for one thing the puppy will not be receiving another quilt until he stops teething.....ask me how I know!