Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio? >

What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

Old 01-20-2014, 03:37 PM

I give a lot away but have kept a few special ones for my home.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:45 PM

I have been quilting for most of my life and have one twin size that was made for our soon when he was about six. The only reason I have it is it is falling apart. He used it on his bed until he left home, took it on camping trips wrapped up in it watch TV and just about anything else he could do with it. It was hand quilted and I can not part with it.
Everything I make goes out the door. Have one that is about 1/2 way done and I'm determined to keep it for our bed. Just seems like they make such wonderful gifts can't help but share. The kids and grand kids are always wanting one.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:32 PM

I have given all of mine away. I made my children memory quilts from their deceased Dad,s shirts. This is my year I have just started an overall sam and sunbonnet sue using his shirts on sam and my clothes on sue. I sure plan to keep this one and even use it. My son joked that I would have give sam his dad's name because Dad wouldn't want sam wearing his clothes. My DH has been deceased for 4 years and I have just gotten comfortable with it to do this. I have to many family menbers as well as some to military menbers.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

My Jim voiced this concern about a year ago. I have made 79 quilts, and more than 2/3 are still in this house. However, when I am gone, they will be given to my family in a lottery style with numbers drawn from a bowl.

Last edited by Boston1954; 01-20-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:07 PM

LOL, the only ones that are to be mine are UFOs. There is one I made in the house because it belongs to my DH. All the rest of my quilts have been gifts, mainly comfort quilts.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 PM

All my quilts go to family or charity. It is planned that way. I did finish a quilt about 2 years ago for myself only because the quilt on my bed could not be washed again. Like someone else said, it is cheaper than going to a therapist or shopping for things not needed.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 AM

I have 4 king sized quilts that are mine and with 17 grand kids and weddings and babes I have given 37 away not counting the wounded warrior quilts. I make queen and king sized quilts and when a grand child gets engaged they come to my house and pick witch one they want then a label goes on and I gift them with it .It is fun to watch them choose I usually have them pegged whether it will be classic or modern.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM

I dont know what I would be called me(myself). I've given quilts, to my son/law parents--my daughter law parents & even my x-wife and her husband in Fla. My grdkids(10) all have 3 quilts now. And my self have at least 30-35 here at home. Maybe I'm a hoarder
Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 PM

I think of my quilts as my heritage. Maybe some day, some one, probably a relative who never met me, will wonder who I was and find out that quilts I made (I label each with my name,city,state and the name of the person it was made for)are all over the country. I've given most of my quilts away - weddings, baby gifts - not all to relatives, but many to cousins for a wedding or baby gift - and many to my kids and grandkids. I have kept a FEW for us to cuddle up with in front of the fire or tv. And some are on our beds. My next project is for a Southwest flavor quilt for the living room wall of our AZ house. But I have to finish my Christmas table topper first! Yes, I a little OCD - LOL.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:47 PM

It's about a 50/50 for me. I learned. Back when I was crocheting 3-7 afghans a year, I gave them all away (many to my local fire department to wrap up traumatized kids). Now that I'm in my 50s with arthritis, I have ONE. So, with quilting, I keep roughly half the quilts, but give the other half primarily to family members, people who have been important in my life and a few for charity. The ones I make for charity primarily are geared towards teenagers and donated to the children's hospital. When one of my own quilts no longer appeals to me as much as a new one just finished, I always have takers. Not much need for baby quilts, but I have several go-to patterns to make one in a long weekend as a gift.

I don't usually make wedding or graduation quilts unless I know the person would welcome a hand made quilt. It's too much money and time to invest to find out that they got rid of it almost as soon as they received it.